• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Crating versus area confinement of new dog

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I have been reading posts in this folder, especially Archie's journey!! I have been trying to mentally plan for the new dog I am getting who has been shut down in the shelter for a few months. She is on Trazadone and Clonidine (that is another post). But I am trying to figure out if it is advisable to crate her at night and when I am not home. That would be with the door closed. I read posts here that say to leave a pupsicle or snuffle mat. But can't a snuffle mat be "eaten" if the dog is nervous? I don't know what a pupsicle is but neither of these things last very long. Another dog I had was finished with the snuffle mat in a few minutes. I DO need to sleep and leave the house from time to time for my own commitments. Do I need to get the dog used to a closed crate right away. In the past I have left the door open during the day but then when you close the door, they seem to not like it Some dogs I have been able to do this with and others not. If I confine to a small gated area I am afraid of destruction of walls but I have no evidence this dog would do that. Again, I DO need to sleep and I cannot sleep downstairs with the dog and she cannot come up stairs until acclimated. Finally, she has been dirtying her kennel at the shelter (not surprising as she does not have opportunity to get out) So does this mean I have to "train her" by taking her out every few hours? In the past none of my dogs needed "training" per se but I did take them out every 3 hours since it was a new home for them and there were no problems and I was just establishing the routine for them. I don't want the new dog to freak in the crate at night and should I leave lights on for her in her sleeping area? I know a lot of questions but I need a plan as I am picking her up this week. Thank you!!!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
can't a snuffle mat be "eaten" if the dog is nervous?
Yup.
Do I need to get the dog used to a closed crate right away.
Nope (tho the pup may appreciate the security of a closed crate (with a darkened and quiet room with Lisa Spector music playing).
) So does this mean I have to "train her" by taking her out every few hours?
Re-training by taking her out to a specific spot at least 4x/day may be enough.
I don't want the new dog to freak in the crate at night and should I leave lights on for her in her sleeping area?
Only if she seems scared of the dark. Most dogs prefer less light and sensory stimulation when they are in a crate.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Thank you Dr. Jeff......very good information. I guess trial and error will be important too. I now have to drive 4.5 hours to get her instead of the anticipated 2-3 hours and I will be spent when I get home with her. Thank you for help with advanced planning.....It is so appreciated as I want to make sure she has a good start.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Lil!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom