• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Constitutional and chronic remedy discussion...

jenniferleadulin8

Registered
recently i asked a question about the similarity or difference between constitutional or chronic remedy.... i had never heard of chronic remedy before last week.... last week i hear chronic remedy twice in different contexts.... i received answers from Ginny w, dr christina and dr. jeff will write their responses below... what i loved about all the responses was how it led us back to our true job of similum and essence of health and specific imbalance....

ginnyw replied to your conversation at Holistic Actions! Forum.

chronic and constitutional remedy, same of different
I don't often use the term "chronic". The constitutional remedy is of course the most salient one for the totality of presently observable symptoms - but this can change - a lot. When you manage to address the most obvious symptoms, a truly constitutional remedy may appear. It is also possible that the initially chosen remedy IS the constitutional. Clear as mud, eh? I know that in my case I often review the ones I hung with longer, in the past, to see if they have once again become useful. These are often "big" remedies, with wide scope. But often as not, I do nothing...

Dr. Christina replied to your conversation at Holistic Actions! Forum.

In the 40 years I have been studying homeopathy I have seen so many different definitions for the same words. Once there was a lecture on what the constitutional remedies were for different breeds of cows, dogs, horses, cats, etc. many do use the word chronic and constitutional interchangeably, others insist they are different.

What is most important is to understand about our vital force and the effect remedies have on the vital force. Reading the Organon and the discussions we have here on the forum can help this understanding.

Very clear and easy to read discussion about the nature of illness and the nature of cure are in the first few chapters of Don Hamilton's Homeopathic Care for Cats and Dogs.

I will try a brief explanation. We each have an energy pattern that expresses its imbalance with symptoms. When we look at the totality of symptoms, now and in the past, and can find a medicine that perfectly matches those symptoms, all symptoms resolve and we continue with better health in general. The next time we get ill the symptoms may match that prior remedy, or we may take the remedy just because it helped so much before. If again, we feel better and the new symptoms resolve, we have a clue this may, for now, be our "constitutional or chronic" remedy.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff replied to your conversation at Holistic Actions! Forum.

Great question Jennifer.

I agree with Christina that chronic and constitutional are interchangeable.

IMHO, the term "constitutional" incorrectly implies that there is ONE homeopathic medicine for each individual.

This would be the same as saying that the dynamic equilibrium is static and unchanging.

Chronic vs. acute remedy is how I prefer to think of it.

BTW-This would be an awe-some discussion for everyone to be able to see and learn from. If you get a chance, I'd appreciate if you would summarize it in the homeopathy folder.

thank you all!!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wow, thanks so much for sharing this conversation Jennifer! :thumbsup: ?

Does anyone else have any comments about chronic vs. acute vs. constitutional?

jenniferleadulin8

Registered
another response for our discussion....

dr_ judy herman replied to your conversation at Holistic Actions! Forum.

I agree with Jeff and Christina. When I hear people discussing constitutional remedies, I too get the impression folks think there is only one remedy for that person or companion. I find in my cases that there is a series of remedies that are suitable during one's life time. I also find there is a remedy that comes up often and moves the patient along. I would call this the chronic remedy for the patient. This patient will need other remedies at different times during their life for different mistunements, which can be acute or intercurrent remedies.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom