• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Cat with Back Pain and Spondylosis

maries

Registered
I need some advice regarding my cat Zoe (17yo). She has stiffness, spondylosis, arthritis in her lower spine. She also has some bad mats in her hind area. Yesterday afternoon I combed over her lower spine and cut some of the mats out. Whatever I did aggravated whatever discomfort or pain she is in. She is lethargic, not moving a lot, not much interest in food and not purring since then. Not herself. I am trying to figure out what happened to have such a clear change in behavior.

What can I do for any discomfort/pain? Has anyone tried the Assisi loop and seen positive results? (I can’t find any reviews online). Any other devices like this that could be helpful? What about Hemp/CBD for cats, either orally or topically? Other treatments? Any other ideas or thoughts on this situation would be welcome! Thank you!

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Right now get some Rescue Remedy from your local health food store - just get the human one. Put 4 drops into an ounce of water. Then put a few drops of the dilution on her paws, inside of ear flaps. As often as it seems to help. I have seen come cats allow grooming for a few minutes after getting it. It may help with the stress that the so necessary grooming may have caused.

Her downturn may be totally unrelated, so getting veterinary opinion may be needed now. Are there any local vets who do chiropractic, acupuncture? Have you thought of working with a veterinary homeopath by phone?

The assissi loop would be great.
CBDs are also great. Dr. Jeff will let you know more about that.

You may want to schedule a consult with Gail Pope of BrightHaven.com for some ideas about easier ways to help with the mats as she adopted hundreds of cats over the age of 16 and helped them live a holistic life (one lived to 34). You can listen to her empower hour to "meet" her.

maries

Registered
Thank you Dr Christina! I will try the rescue remedy. Sounds like you have some experience with the assisi loop. Definitely interested in learning more about the CBD. I would love to find chiropractic or acupuncture in my area. I have done some googling already but nothing popping out. Is there anyone who might be able to help me find resources for this in NY or southern CT area?

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
here is where to seek out vets
  1. Veterinary Homeopaths: As a member, you can become a client of Dr. Jeff. Others can be found at: The Academy of Veterinary Homeopathy, International Veterinary Homeopaths, Pitcairn Institute
  2. Chiropractic and Osteopathic.
  3. Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine (TCVM)
  4. Members of these organizations use a wide range of treatments – American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association and College of Integrative Veterinary Therapies.
Maybe some members know of some in your area. Where do you live?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Marie-

Yes, the Assisi Loop would be great for her!

Regarding what you can do immediately, perhaps focus on petting, purring and playing. Anything that you know makes her happy.

Gentle head-to-tail massage would be great (if she likes it).

There's lots of resources in this area. Dr. Seo at Smith Ridge Animal Hospital, several acupuncturists, myself, Earth Animal (ask for Jamie if you go in), etc. @PandaBear, do you have any others that you could recommend to Marie?

As Dr. Cristina mentioned, try to reach out to @Gail Pope for older kitty care tips.

maries

Registered
Such great resources and suggestions. Thank you for sharing these! I will follow up to see how I can help Zoe to feel better. Zoe is looking a little more alert and has more interest in food this morning.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom