• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Can old dogs change their ways?

ElizabethK

Community Member
Registered
I’ve discussed Mickey’s case with many people, and the ideas from the webinars have been very helpful, but Mickey…well….let me tell you.
We have fostered him for 1 year now; he came to our local dog shelter where I am a member of the board. Mickey is a German spitz, maybe full bred, maybe not. He’s 14 years old and came to the shelter in 2021. He did live with a family for some years but their house burned down in 2019 in the huge fires outside of Athens, and he was shuffled from home to home and always rejected.

You see, he gets very grumpy sometimes and bites people and he chases cats. I have done so much with him - communication, acupressure, Tellington Touch massages, cooked and raw food, Chinese herbs and he has a huge area to run around in (about an acre of land all fenced in). We have learned to respect his character - when he wants you to touch him, he lets you know; when he is tired of it, he barks at you. If you try to pet him and he doesn’t want it, he will growl (if you re lucky) or bite you. AND he chases cats.

He is not as reactive as when he came to us. He is sociable much more often, doesn’t mind being put on a lead and walked, and doesn’t chase cats as much as he used to. Also if he starts to chase cats (ours in the house) I say OUT OUT OUT to get him out of the room or out of the house without touching him and he is responding to that. If I touched him when he is excited about a cat, he will bite me. I won‘t give up on him but do you think that a dog of his age and character can really change to the point where he no longer bites people. Photo of Mickey below.IMG_3782.jpegIMG_3782.jpegIMG_3782.jpegIMG_3782.jpeg

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
I think you've done remarkably well with him thus far. I wonder if, firstly, another session with an animal communicator would point out why and how he is reactive. Clues from this work might suggest a way to help with homeopathy, too - treatment can have some deep and surprising results. I'll bet he has something to share with you, and that when you discover that one little thing, his behavior will make sense - and that homeopathy can reach the depths of his character. You're doing great, and I applaud your perseverance!

ElizabethK

Community Member
Registered
I think you've done remarkably well with him thus far. I wonder if, firstly, another session with an animal communicator would point out why and how he is reactive. Clues from this work might suggest a way to help with homeopathy, too - treatment can have some deep and surprising results. I'll bet he has something to share with you, and that when you discover that one little thing, his behavior will make sense - and that homeopathy can reach the depths of his character. You're doing great, and I applaud your perseverance!
I have been tempted to send him back to the dog shelter a couple of times. But he was very unhappy there and I’m old and grumpy sometimes too and sympathize with him. I like your suggestion to reach out to an animal communicator; maybe she can get him to talk more with her. I forgot to mention that he had a minor stroke in Jan and during the first two days when I opened the window in my mind to speak with him, I found the window closed with dark metal shutters. The window opened gradually as the days went by but he said he didn’t know what had happened to him.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks Aruna for pointing out Elizabeth's thread about Mickey.

Yes, you sure have done some great things with this sensitive and emotionally hurting pup Elizabeth.

I agree that a communicator is a good idea. Maybe even someone in Greece (is that the Athens you mean?) like the wonderful Eleni Gkikakis:

do you think that a dog of his age and character can really change to the point where he no longer bites people
Yes! Does he get lots of sniffing/Therapeutic Sniff Walks, chances to play outdoors and/or use a snuffle mat?

ElizabethK

Community Member
Registered
Mickey is outdoors most of the day as we have an acre of walled in property. He loves to run around and does so with our other dog, a beagle named Simon. He gets along with other dogs too. He also loves going in the car and we often take both dogs with us… until it gets too hot and then they both go into our super large kennel with a small house made of pine which humans can stand up in. Honestly he has the best life right now. But today he barked angrily at two people who pet him. Since he didn’t bite them, however, I guess we are making some progress

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom