• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Blossom got her OSS today

LilF

Community Member
Registered
It is finally over---the decisions AND the surgery. She did very well and it went fast... I was out by mid morning. The vet said the uterus looked better than he thought it would. They gave her Butyrex and Rimadyl injectable. They sent me home with gabapentin to give today and I asked for instead of Rimadyl to have galiprant (for inflammation and pain) which they said it was ok to give tomorrow with the gaba. I got her home and she is just chillin. She doesn't know what to do with a cone on so I took it off till later when the drugs wear off or I go out. I hope she wouldn't rip the cone off. The cone is hard to snap on and a friend said to just keep it snapped and take the cone on and off snapped (well doesn't that mean the cone is TOO LOOSE?) How long do I have to worry about her incision. The vet used dissolvable stitches so nothing to go back to remove.
I gave her a dose of Arnice 10M and will continue that for a few days. I also will give nux, starting in a few days, every 3 days for 2 weeks. What is your experience with the recovery---1 or 2 weeks. I hate to be a prisoner in my home or watching her. I suppose she would get used to the cone but now she just kind of stands there and doesn't seem to know how to navigate with it. She has to use a ramp for the car and only 2 steps to go outside to do her business.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yay, Blossom! :snowman: ?:dog2:
How long do I have to worry about her incision.
How big is her incision? Typically 1-2 weeks but a small clean incision could heal pretty quickly.

Perhaps just keep the cone on (and give her a special treat as soon as you put the cone on) if you can't supervise her.
I also will give nux, starting in a few days, every 3 days for 2 weeks.
What's the indication for giving it?

LilF

Community Member
Registered

How big is her incision? Typically 1-2 weeks but a small clean incision could heal pretty quickly.

Perhaps just keep the cone on (and give her a special treat as soon as you put the cone on) if you can't supervise her.

Blossom is wimpering. They gave her a rimadyl injection shouldn't that be helping. The arnica is not doing anything for her pain, or is it---she is still wimpering. Maybe I should give her the gabapentin.... maybe just one--the instructions say give 2. She has blood on her leg so hope her incision is ok but I can't tell. Or should I give her arnica more often than every 2 hours. I didn't actually think it would help for this kind of surgery as a stand alone thing for pain. Maybe you can explain a bit more.... Thanks

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
I would add LOTS of positive energy and maybe rescue remedy or stress stopper (a lot of either).

When she whimpers, try distraction and play. You can have the collar off when you are in the same room. Local pet stores should have these newer, very soft collars that most dogs are fine with.

I would not do the nux unless symptoms indicate it.

Dr. Christina

LilF

Community Member
Registered

Dr. Jeff and Dr. Christina I was going to give the nux in a few days for a few days to detox the drugs and anesthesia. When I gave this to her after her Pyometra treatment she did seem to perk up quite a bit. Remember all along I had been complaining how slow and exercise intolerant she was? After the pyo treatment she seemed to have a breakthrough in her energy. So thinking back maybe it could have been the nux but I wouldn 't know for sure. She is more normal now and that is why I felt confident she would now do ok with the surgery where as before my intuition said No Way.... I did just put a heavier soft blanket on her back and rubbed her upper back with some pressure and just holding my hand at the base of her neck. She seems calmer. I have been petting her a lot. Not sure of how big the incision is--I am queasy looking at those things but when she rolls over I can look (Oh wait, rolling over may be inadvisable but she has already tried to do it) She drank goat milk diluted with water but has not peed since this morning. Maybe I should give her the arnica every 15 minutes. I will sleep in the same room with her but feel I need to have the collar on based on my other dogs who get sneaky at night. The vet said he made the incision a bit longer so he can do the absorbable stitches and none where we have to come back .I am probably not explaining it right but he did make a bigger incision to close it in that way. Thanks!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom