• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

6mo goldendoodle post hospitalization for lung issue

IvyW

Community Member
Registered
Hi all,

Leo just came home from the hospital. Two days in an oxygen chamber because he was having trouble breathing. He almost collapsed on Sunday morning on our walk, and I took him immediately to the emergency room. X ray showed some inflammation in his lungs.

They are not sure what caused it. The second day, after a night where his breathing worsened, they put him on benadryl and clavamox (antibiotic). That day he showed dramatic improvement and was able to come out of the oxygen that evening. The next morning (this morning) I brought him home.

The improvement was perhaps due to the medications, perhaps not, as it all happened very quickly and at the same time. Leo's respiratory rate is still higher than we'd like it (quick, short breaths while sleeping), but he is acting more or less himself here at home, just lower energy. I am administering his meds until the course runs out and monitoring him.

His appetite is variable, I believe the clavamox may make him nauseous (he was eating grass and threw up once today). The vets had to feed him some kibble because he wouldn't eat the food I brought him. (He's grown up eating raw.)

One hypothesis was that he aspirated seawater and this irritated his lungs. (The evening before he collapsed he played HARD with another dog at the beach in and out of the water). Other hypotheses included toxin exposure, allergic reaction, or viral or bacterial disease.

We are waiting on blood PCR test to come back this week that will show potential infectious diseases if they are at play. I certainly hope not as I only vaccinated him for parvo (two NeoPar shots).

I'd love any perspective from a holistic vet (working on finding one to work with me regularly) on this, as well as any advice on how to mitigate negative effects of the antibiotics.

Many thanks,
Ivy

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Ivy, you are doing a great job navigating a major health challenge. Leo's general health (few vaccines, raw diet, lots of exercise and interactive joy) should stand him in good stead whatever the cause.

Do your utmost (lots of webinars on this, especially one by Bernie Siegel) about the need for you to stay positive.

Most importantly, do find a holistic vet. Where do you live? Did you read the entire article and are you going to each website for every modality?

Also important is to be using energy healing - done by you if trained, or by one of the many great healers, some who have been on our webinars.

Because you may need to integrate different approaches for awhile, it would be useful to download the Healthy Dog Journal.

Keep us posted.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
any perspective from a holistic vet
Thanks for asking Ivy!

I'm sorry to hear about Leo's unknown respiratory issue.

The x-rays would have shown if he aspirated water enough to collapse as he did.

Perhaps attach the vet and ER notes and any diagnostic test results. I'll review them and see if the additional context yields other specific ideas.

IvyW

Community Member
Registered
Hi Dr Jeff and Dr Christina,

Thank you for your help! Leo has been home since Tuesday and acting fine. We're finishing the Clavamox.

I am working on getting his records and test results from them for you to look over, thank you for offering to do that.

PCR tests came back negative for infectious diseases. There was one positive for Mycoplasma cynos. They said this is a organism that can be found in normal lungs of dogs, but becomes an issue when co-infected with other things. They were not concerned about it.

There is still one major concern however - 5 days out of the hospital and his resting respiratory rate is still easily over 100 breaths/min. The emergency vet recommended I bring him back in to be evaluated given his history. I plan to (after I get pet insurance today). My regular vet is unavailable for a week.

Any insight from you would be appreciated. Thank you

Ivy

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
How is he other than the increased respiratory rate? Alert, happy, eating? Can he run or trot? The insurance will probably not cover this as it is a pre-existing condition, so do check with them on that.

If he is feeling great, you may wait to go to the ER.

Be sure to be working at finding great holistic vets to be in charge.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome! I'm so glad that Leo is home with you. ? :dog2:

Yes, that is a high RRR tho, how's his BEAM?

The more outdoor sniffing he can, do the faster he will heal...

IvyW

Community Member
Registered
Hi Drs,

Leo is acting normal, maybe a little lower energy than he usually has. His BEAM is medium. His RRR remains high. It's very hot in my house - he has a fan on him but no AC.

I have an appointment with a vet tomorrow and a holistic vet in late Nov.

I am wondering if he's always had this breathing issue (a couple of videos of him breathing as a younger puppy portray high RRR as far as I can tell) and his extra-rigorous exercising by the sea the evening before be collapsed was the culprit.

Not sure whether to treat this as urgent or not. He can trot, run, and bark. But he seems to want to exercise less than he used to.

I am attaching his clinical summary from the hospital for your review. Thank you.

Attachments

• clinicalSummary_AN156157_S856.pdf
    159.4 KB · Views: 1

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
It's very hot in my house - he has a fan on him but no AC.
Ah, thanks so much for the extra context pertaining to his rapid resting resp. rate!

Is it hot there in HI?

It would be super interesting to see what his RRR is when the temp in the room is 65.

Some individuals are very, very heat sensitive. Some pups even react once the room temp gets above 68.

BTW-The vet records and test results are not concerning in any way.

IMHO the best path forward is to work with, and not against, Leo's body.

That means feeding fresh foods, avoiding toxins and drugs directed against the natural healing mechanisms of his body, like anything against or "fighting" inflammation (inflammation is a critical process needed for life).

It also means doing everything possible to promote C.H.E (and Chi/energy).

CHE is: C=Connection (with people, other dogs and the natural world), , H=Happiness (and cellular joy), E=Engagement (and exercise and energy).

Transcending and recovery from Leo's health challenge will be a great way to grow, gain resilience and get better for the long run.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Good for you to be carefully thinking and remembering that he may have always had a fast respiratory rate. Because he can trot, and is ok in many ways and due to the heat, I would not treat this as urgent and in need of the ER.

Also, you may want to read about doing a home heart health exam. It is good for general care, not just for the heart. And Dr. Bearman's physical exam. these will give you more information to track. And also review the Early Warning Signs of Internal Imbalance (in the journal, too).

Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom