• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

4yr old Greyhound is insane when feeding breakfast

ChristineDG

All-Access Member
Registered
We adopted Chief about 3 months ago. He came to us with an extreme case of happy tail. I worked with him when feeding, and he calmed down a little bit. I bought a sleeve to put on him so when it was not scabbed over, it had time to heal. He has now broke the tip open again, as my boyfriend just rushes to place his food down, rather than work with him to calm down. Here is how the morning unfolds:

Chief comes into our bedroom to boop us on the face to tell us to get up

If none of us get up, he just keeps running back and fourth to both sides of our bed until someone moves

Once you move, he starts doing circles and wagging his tail to the point where it is slamming everywhere

Once you make it out of the bed, he is doing little jumps, sometimes to the point where he doesn't care he crushes our other greyhound in the process, slams his head on furniture trying to spin and walk at the same time

When we finally make it to the living room, I try to get him to calm down before feeding.

Today he broke the tip of his tail open again....so I need to get him to calm down during the process in which he is insisting we wake up when he wants us to.

I'm not sure how I can go to a dog trainer when this only happens in the morning.

Chief suffers from overall anxiety. We pass a barking dog on a walk, he whines, and I tell him it's ok. Sometimes he whines and cries even when we are both home. He was a part of an animal cruelty seizure, so there's some previous trauma there. I watch the cameras when we are gone, and he stands over Rocky sometimes and just whines....so having another dog there doesn't even help him.

IMG_20210308_194017_061.jpg20210401_125321.jpg
20210307_105858.jpg

IMG952375.jpg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Congratulations on Chief's rescue.

What a lucky, handsome and happy fella he is!

Sorry to hear about his bleeding tail, morning rowdiness and anxiety. Tails can be slow to heal (especially since he keeps traumatizing it).

Has he worked with a trainer since you rescued him? Teaching him "calm" will definitely help.

You can get some get training tips during @SarahH's IG live Thurs. 8pm ET

Also, the recordings from Dr. Jody's anxiety webinar last night would be great foryou to take a look at if you haven't already doone so.

What's he eating, and does he get a meal or snack before bed?

How much activity or sniffing does he get during the day?

A snuffle mat would be a great tool to have and use 2-3 a day. They can help him stay calm and reach internal balance.

You'll find lots more info about them on the forum.

Please let us know how he's doing.

ChristineDG

All-Access Member
Registered
Congratulations on Chief's rescue.

What a lucky, handsome and happy fella he is!

Sorry to hear about his bleeding tail, morning rowdiness and anxiety. Tails can be slow to heal (especially since he keeps traumatizing it).

Has he worked with a trainer since you rescued him? Teaching him "calm" will definitely help.

You can get some get training tips during @SarahH's IG live Thurs. 8pm ET

Also, the recordings from Dr. Jody's anxiety webinar last night would be great foryou to take a look at if you haven't already doone so.

What's he eating, and does he get a meal or snack before bed?

How much activity or sniffing does he get during the day?

A snuffle mat would be a great tool to have and use 2-3 a day. They can help him stay calm and reach internal balance.

You'll find lots more info about them on the forum.

Please let us know how he's doing.
Yes I downloaded vimeo to save and watch that episode later! I already saved "through a dogs ear" to play when I'm not home. You mentioned the snuffle mat during our phone call, I will have to look into purchasing that. Chief doesn't smell a lot on walks, Rock pretty much sniffs the ENTIRE walk lol. They both get snack before bed, I make them ice cream which they get at night. It's banana, unsweetened coconut milk, pb, and Wheatgrass powder. I bought this harness when we first got him, it's one hell of a contraption but it gets the job done ?. Chief has not worked with a trainer, I have sent a few emails out asking if this is a case they can assist with.

K9 TailSaver®

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wow! Thanks for sharing that awe-some "Happy Tail" saver cover/harness. What a wonderful holistic action!

Good work with finding it.

I had never seen it before and look forward to hearing how it works.

ChristineDG

All-Access Member
Registered
Wow! Thanks for sharing that awe-some "Happy Tail" saver cover/harness. What a wonderful holistic action!

Good work with finding it.

I had never seen it before and look forward to hearing how it works.
It really works! They don't love it, but the tail barely wags in it!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom