• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

10-13 hours of rest for dogs?!

ChristineL

VIP Member
Registered
Hello All - I was reviewing my HA! webinar notes and had a few questions I forgot to post...

It was mentioned in one of the webinars that dogs do need long (and deep) rest (like 10-13 hours ?) for repair and healing. That was news to me! I have always thought that a tired dog is a happy dog...so, can anyone point me to studies or provide insights on how and why dogs need deep rest for that many hours? Also, if I provide an environment where my dog can have longer and deeper rest, how do I determine if it's normal and not a drop in energy? She on my close watch for any BEAM change as her last estrus cycle ended in late May (2021).

I think @SarahH , @GinnyW and @SueB had commented on this topic. I would love to get your feedback :) Thanks so much.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great question Christine!

Sarah and I are working on a sleep training book which will have lots of references.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Yeah, nice article! I enjoyed the attention given to how good it is for US to sleep with them:) I get really upset when I ask an owner if his dog sleeps with him, and I get an answer like "No, he sleeps downstairs" or "No, he sleeps in his own bed on the floor". Worse yet, kenneled in the back yard or porch...People don't know what they're missing - that's a lousy, half-way, relationship for both.

ChristineL

VIP Member
Registered
I agree. It irks me so much when I hear people keep their pups outside in the yard and don't let them in the house!!!!! Not to mention during the heat wave in CA!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom