• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Ziwipeak

lizkunz

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi all, I just watched the webinar recording from Monday night. Anthony Bennie seemed to strongly recommend not giving dry food without moistening it. I'm a little horrified that I have not been adding anything to their Ziwilpeak. They get a small serving a day and their second meal is fresh cooked or raw. I use the Clearconscience gravy on that. So today I tried the gravy on the Ziwi. Penny ate it but not as readily. She is the chow hound. However, Ernie didn't understand what happened and didn't readily eat it. Usually their Ziwi meal is the highlight of the day. I checked the instructions on the Ziwi and it didn't say it had to be hydrated just if I choose to. So do you recommend hydrating? Thanks for listening!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great question Liz!

No, the Ziwi doesn't need to be moistened the way dry, dry food does.

In fact, it doesn't absorb moisture the way dry food does.

Anthony advises "molecular hydration" and watering down the food to reduce the chance of bloat and promote adequate water consumption.

It's more important to continue the Ziwi as their (especially Ernie) favorite Happy Meal.

Archie plays the hunt for treats game with a handful of Ziwi when he gets out of his crate in the am. I don't water it down.

Here's a pic. of his first Happy Meal of the day (with extra water to help it last longer):

egg treat.jpg

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
I would be concerned about molecular water if Ziwi was the only food feed.

I agree with Dr. Jeff that you can continue as you are. Maybe use them as food seeking treats in the AM.

And continue the raw and fresh food.

Every individual is unique, so pay attention to BEAM and any EWS.
Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Oh, and this isn't directly relevant to Penny and Ernie Liz, but Purina now selling water for cats so have an interesting video about their water (Hydra Care) and organ function (in cats):

lizkunz

All-Access Member
Registered
Great question Liz!

No, the Ziwi doesn't need to be moistened the way dry, dry food does.

In fact, it doesn't absorb moisture the way dry food does.

Anthony advises "molecular hydration" and watering down the food to reduce the chance of bloat and promote adequate water consumption.

It's more important to continue the Ziwi as their (especially Ernie) favorite Happy Meal.

Archie plays the hunt for treats game with a handful of Ziwi when he gets out of his crate in the am. I don't water it down.

Here's a pic. of his first Happy Meal of the day (with extra water to help it last longer):

egg treat.jpg

lizkunz

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you! That's really funny to think of it as their Happy Meal. Ernie in particular practically does back flips when the bowl comes. He is a very happy dog.

The pic you posted reminded me about the Moringa Powder. I was giving this powder but ran out and it was out of stock in your shop. I found this on Chewy: 6 X 1 Multivitamin Superfood Supplement Chews. It's a chew that they will eat. What do you think of it?

lizkunz

All-Access Member
Registered
I would be concerned about molecular water if Ziwi was the only food feed.

I agree with Dr. Jeff that you can continue as you are. Maybe use them as food seeking treats in the AM.

And continue the raw and fresh food.

Every individual is unique, so pay attention to BEAM and any EWS.
Dr. Christina

lizkunz

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you Dr. Christina. I know I should concentrate more on their fresh/raw food. Hope you are ok in the storm. Liz

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Oh, and this isn't directly relevant to Penny and Ernie Liz, but Purina now selling water for cats so have an interesting video about their water (Hydra Care) and organ function (in cats):

The Purina product is very problematic. I had an interesting discussion on a veterinary bulletin board and their experts agreed--don't use it!

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Just to put a fine point on it, NEVER get dry food (kibble) wet. The flavorings and digests that coats the kibbles are full of bacteria that love moisture, and will exponentially grow and cause digestive upsets if not completely consumed within 15-20 minutes.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks @Dr. Jean! Why have some vets found Hydra Care to be potentially problematic?

@lizkunz here's what Moringa Pet Balance expert Cathy who runs the Yorkie group on FB (these are her words):

low percentage of moringa leaves with some other herbals, as the active ingredients, that wouldn't be worth spending money on. Then, there's the issue that petroleum products are usually used to produce a chewable. It would be a huge thumbs down for me. Now that MPB is back in stock, there would be nothing to compel anyone to pay for this.

The ingredients they use to make the consistency are things that should never be near a dog, much less in one. Yikes! It would create internal yeast if nothing else!

The problem I've found with most, if not all, "dog treats" sold in gummy or chewable form is that they've either used petroleum products to create that consistency, or as in the case with this product, they've used various starches to do it, which would trigger internal yeast production in carnivores that have zero carb requirement.

The other issue is, with a leaf-only moringa product, you're depriving your pet (or yourself) of many of the available anti-inflammatory and nutritional compounds. It takes a combination of at least the leaves and the seed pods to get the biggest benefits.

In a study conducted by a third party researcher in 2017 or 18, they compared about a dozen or 15 of the popular moringa products on the market (none specifically for pets, although they were being used for them), and found that the single product that combined the leaves and seed pods (flowers) of the plant was so much more powerful and effective, that you would have to consume somewhere between 250 and 300 times the recommended daily amount of a leaf-only product, to see the same benefits. Pretty amazing!

PS: And all our anecdotal data (and our share of miraculous pet turnarounds) were as a result of using that single product that combined the leaves and pods.

Aand, of course, that's the moringa combination used in MoringaPet BALANCE!

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Because relying on it could result in more DEhydration in cats. I see that now they are promoting it as a "third bowl" (along with food and actual fresh water) but initially it was supposed to be the only "water" available--a huge problem if the cat doesn't like it. Now, reading some of the reviews, it seems that people are still confused about how to use it. Instructions say to "feed" it. Also interesting how it includes protein, sugar, and fake salt (potassium chloride) to increase thirst... protein and sugar are diuretics, and potassium chloride can cause diarrhea--all of which can make dehydration worse.

beccak

All-Access Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Thank you for this post, @lizkunz . My cat is on a fresh food diet but she does like Vital Essentials Beef mini nibs as treats. Every time I give her a couple I can hear @Dr. Christina warning about dry cat food.
Is this safe for kitty treats?
Becca

lizkunz

All-Access Member
Registered
Good to know about the Moringa treats. I will go back to the Moringa Balance Pet. I also have some Moringa Powder from Dr. Mercola that I use (for me human!) Hopefully that's ok.

No kibble for Ernie and Penny but that is some invaluable information.

lizkunz

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you for this post, @lizkunz . My cat is on a fresh food diet but she does like Vital Essentials Beef mini nibs as treats. Every time I give her a couple I can hear @Dr. Christina warning about dry cat food.
Is this safe for kitty treats?
Becca
I don't think Vital Essentials Beef mini nibs is considered dry food. In my lay opinion it is superior to many treats!

lizkunz

All-Access Member
Registered
MoringaPet Balance, is it still being recommended? I see that it is discontinued in your store.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom