• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

When adopting a new cat...precautions?

PamR

Community Member
Registered
I have a 10yr old female cat and am thinking of adding a younger cat or kitten to our home.
The shelter near me does not test for FelV/FIV. Should I be concerned?
Also, any other precautions I should take to protect the health of my existing kitty?
The shelter kitty will be vaccinated; that's out of my control. I'm assuming they will test for worms and treat any respiratory problem.

Any tips welcome. I want to bring joy into our house, not introduce a health problem!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Pam-

Thanks for posting, and wonderful that you are considering rescuing a new kitty! ?

Yes. The shelter should test for FeLV and FIV before adopting out any kitty. IMHO, this is more important than vaccinating.

Does the shelter have lots of cats with respiratory problems? I ask because although a single treatment may temporarily reduce symptoms (palliate) but usually the symptoms return and can be transmitted to other cats.

Has your older kitty ever seen or met another cat? If so, how did she react?

How's her inner balance as reflected by her health? We definitely don't want to introduce any stress into her life.

Anyway, lots to think about.

@robinafolson is a cat rescue expert and may have other things for you to think about.

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Thanks, Pam, for bringing in a new cat.

Dr. Jean is a great expert on this.
Several other suggestions:

Anitra Frazier's book - the Natural Cat - has great suggestions for introducing a new cat, and also lots of health tips, if needed, as your current cat becomes a bit older.

An animal intuitive could connect with your current cat and see how she feels about a new cat. Some prefer older cats, some want kittens and some none at all. Kate Solisti (see her EH). Cassandra Kraham (a member) or any trusted ones from Penelope smith's site - pettalk.net

Dr. Christina

PamR

Community Member
Registered
Thanks for all the great suggestions.

The shelter told me they don't test for Felv/FIV anymore because of cost. I think they felt they didn't see it occurring enough to justify the cost. I had a cat with FelV/FIV many years ago and she became heartbreakingly crippled in her later years, don't know if it was from this or not.
[Sidebar: Back in the 80s when Anitra Frazier was still doing house calls, she came to my NYC apartment to clip an ingrown nail of this same kitty!]

Worst case: can it be treated?

I don't have a separate room I can keep the new kitty. Even my bathroom is within my bedroom. So I'm hesitating. But will study Jackson Galaxy's recommendations.

Great idea, Dr. Christina, to ask my cat how she feels about a new cat!! She hasn't been in contact with another cat for 10 yrs, since she was a kitten in the shelter.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom