• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

What's the best reply to a conventional vet fixated on the big dog food companies?

ZannahM

All-Access Member
Registered
As integrative, holistic and homeopathic veterinarians, how do you (Dr. Christina, Dr. Jeff, Dr. Jean and others) respond to a conventional vet who argues that dog food should be from a few big companies like Purina because they supposedly are the only ones doing research and third party testing or whatever their party line is? What is at the root of their mistaken belief other than lobbying and money? I'm trying to understand their point of view so I can best debate in a constructive way.
Or the vets who say monthly neurotoxins are good prevention for fleas, tick and mosquitoes because Nexgard & Heartgard are supposedly the lesser of two evils as a general rule? I agree prevention is better than treatment, but not that way – not anymore. I’d love to hear your replies to such vets, especially about Purina and Royal Canin being the end-all-be-all. Thanks.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Frankly, Zannah, I would find a different vet.

Over the last 40 years, and at the beginning it was even harder, I have found that I simply share the basics. If they are still up in arms about it, I move on to the next pet owner or vet.

Keep being the advocate, but do not waste your time. Maybe the next or the 200th person to share and they will be ready to hear.

dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I agree that it's important to be working with someone who can "accept" the holistic re-growth mindset.

Perhaps just smile, thank them, and move on (you'll definitely find a supportive vet).

The more I learn about the energy of intention, the more I realize how important the mindset of the healer is.

AlysonR

All-Access Member
Registered
I agree that it's important to be working with someone who can "accept" the holistic re-growth mindset.

Perhaps just smile, thank them, and move on (you'll definitely find a supportive vet).

The more I learn about the energy of intention, the more I realize how important the mindset of the healer is.
I disagree that you'll eventually find a supportive vet. Out here where I live, vets are few and far between (like an hour or more away). Further, the pandemic has limited the number of clients they can serve. One vet told me they were only taking puppies and kittens on as new patients. Huh? Another vet has told me that they are short staffed and are actively trying to find another person. They haven't said no, yet, but Kaya's (my GSD) reactivity towards humans (in a barky/lunging way) is a definite negative. In that area (Winchester, VA), the first vet I had couldn't take blood from Merlin (my other dog) without first sedating him. Two vets since then have managed just fine. He growls when muzzled, but he doesn't resist. Unfortunately, I've written elsewhere about my problems with those two vets. The next one I tried was a "clinic" that basically did shots and sports injuries. The next was the one only taking puppies and kittens. The one I'm waiting on has all sorts of disclaimers I had to sign, and that was just to get considered! I tried a housecall vet and never got a response -- after several phone calls. There are maybe 2 or 3 other vets I can try within an hour's radius. Zannah, I completely sympathize with your problem. I am considering lying in the future...just so I can get things like rabies shots and blood draws done. I'll use the emergency vet for anything serious.

I was further disheartened by the 'history' I got when I asked for my dogs' records. Under what I feed, it said, "A bunch of canned foods. Raw food in the evening." No mention of quality, brand, etc. FYI, I've switched to, mostly, "Raw Instinct" in the morning, and the dogs are both loving it. Cheaper by the kilocal, and better quality, too! In any event, none of the vets I've tried in this area seem to understand the connection between health and food. And they don't seem to appreciate that my dogs have clean teeth and shiny coats -- without their teeth being brushed or their coats being bathed! This is a holistic-vet desert!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I'm so sorry to hear about your experiences finding a supportive vet Alyson. :(

Yes, there are definitely BIG gaps between the conventional and holistic models, but there hopefully won't be for long (as y'all continue talking to other pet parents who might then talk to their vets).

Some vets will absorb this info. and may even change their practices over time.

Yes, the amount of overwhelm in the vet world is crazy busy at this time. Partially becuse of new time-restricting covid protocols but also because of all the new pandemic pup (and kitty) adoptions.

I wonder if you would share your locale?

Many holistic and homeopathic vets will do tele-medicine consults, so one day trip to visit this vet can be followed up remotely (without having to travel for hours).

In that situation, you don't really need a local holistic vet but rather just someone to do exams, diagnostic tests, emergencies, etc. The intent is to gather info which the holistically-oriented vet can then help you interpret (holistically).

Here's more about building a vet care team:

AlysonR

All-Access Member
Registered
I'm in the eastern panhandle of WV. Specifically, Levels, WV. I am 45 minutes from Cumberland, MD, and an hour from Winchester, VA. Dr. Sagrera, in LA, is my holistic vet (at least she's helping me with Kaya through homeopathy). My problem is in finding a local vet that will work with a holistic vet. The emergency vet is a minimum of $500 each time I visit. A little steep for a blood draw. The other problems I've listed above. If you know of a holistic vet OR conventional vet willing to work with a holistic vet within an hour's drive of me, I am all ears.

Thanks!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Absolutely Alyson!

I'll ask around (how far would you be willing to drive?).

AlysonR

All-Access Member
Registered
In formulating a reply to your question, Dr. Jeff, I remembered a holistic vet in Berkeley Springs (about 1 hr drive). I had thought, the first time I looked her up, that she only did a couple of holistic modalities, and things like vaccines were off the table. As it turns out, not so. And....she's accepting new clients!!!!! I go to see her in a week. Fingers crossed this will work out.

-Alyson

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Fantastic Alyson!

If you're going to see our friend Dr. Doyle, please say hi! She's awe-some and hopefully the two of you will resonate.

AlysonR

All-Access Member
Registered
Yes indeed. It is Dr. Doyle, and I am super excited to meet her. Kaya, maybe, not so much....yet. Merlin'll be a good boy, though.

BillH

All-Access Member
Registered

Like minded individuals.
GB

ZannahM

All-Access Member
Registered

I like that!

ZannahM

All-Access Member
Registered
Frankly, Zannah, I would find a different vet.

Over the last 40 years, and at the beginning it was even harder, I have found that I simply share the basics. If they are still up in arms about it, I move on to the next pet owner or vet.

Keep being the advocate, but do not waste your time. Maybe the next or the 200th person to share and they will be ready to hear.

dr. Christina
Well, Django's latest vet is pretty open-minded actually, but I'm really excited to move back to a city, especially to San Diego where I can find many options for his care like Dr. Katie Kangas if she's available and close enough. Also like the idea from our Zoom of getting a homeopathic vet lined up. Our dogs deserve a planned care team indeed.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom