• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Vomiting

F

Frances

Hi, My 8 month maltese puppy has thrown up several times through out the day. I have taken him to our vet who took x-rays and stated there is a dark cloud on both sides of the stomach but more on the left and not sure what that is but said there is evidence of pebbles and rocks etc along the digestive tract towards the colon, (which he obviously has been ingesting from our yard). She has given him barium sulfate, cerenia injection and fluids, with instructions of no food or liquids for the night. If he throws up again we need to take him to the emergency room. So far he has not thrown up. We are following up tomorrow with the vet for anther X-ray. He lost 2 ounces. She has also instructed a very strict diet of bland food such as a)potatoes, egg and corn oil, or b) tuna, rice, corn oil c) sweet potato , turkey and corn oil. The vet says she has had positive outcomes with this diet for other clients. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Frances-

I'm so sorry to hear about your pup's vomiting yesterday. I hope he had a quiet night without any vomiting.

This sounds like a fantastic situation for you to use acute homeopathy!

Especially if your pup was totally fine on Monday.

Has he been fine in all other ways up until now?

Was there any change in diet before this started?

How about any other triggers?

How's his BEAM (Behavior, Energy, Appetite, Mood)?

BEAM is a great way that you can use to evaluate the severity of any symptom.

Please describe his vomits in more detail (food, fluid,, retching, etc.).

Were there any other behavior changes yesterday like increased isolating, clinginess, seeking warm or cool spots, inside or outside?

Acute homeopathic medicines are very safe and effective in situations like this!

You can choose a useful homeopathic medicine based on the symptom details as described in your vomiting course, describing symptoms classes, and in the 4 Awe-some A homeopathic medicine report.

In addition, Amy just posted (on the forum) about a similar stomach issue of her own which she resolved using another acute remedy that you could add to your homeopathic medicine emergency kit.

Useful remedies for acute vomiting include Arsenicum album, Nux vomica, Pulsatilla, Bryonia, Phosphorus, etc.

The choice is based on symptom detail.

Please let us know how your pup is today.

F

Frances

Hello Dr Jeff,
Thank you for your response and information. Harpo did very well last night with no incidents. We returned to the vet this morning for the second round of x-rays and our vet insisted he begin that bland diet of corn oil, rice and turkey, corn oil potatoes and egg etc, as he needs more fibre right now to get the colon moving. Along with a nutrient supplement form Balance It - called Canine Plus. ( I would think vegetables and fruit would provide better movement for the colon.)

She has also suggested he wear a basked muzzle to keep him from eating things he is not supposed when he is partially supervised..The X-rays today showed everything was trying to move through the colon and although he had one bowel movement this morning he refused to go to the bathroom for them.

Harpo was doing fine the day before this incident , although the morning of, he was sitting by me, staring at me as he usually does, and then I noticed he swayed to his left side. I knew this had to do with his liver shunt and I quickly gave him a treat which helped stabilize him and he resumed his happy active attitude. ( Small pieces of dates have been tremendous for him for this)

The day before and the day of, prior to his first bout of vomiting, he was doing well. He would play, run around and tease the other dog, and he ate breakfast.

By lunch time he wasn't so interested in his lunch and he was a little more mellow. I actually hand fed him lunch and he ate ...but within a couple of hours he began to throw up. He threw up large amount of solid food, a total of six times within 30 minutes. Each vomit increased in volume. He was more mellow and wouldn't drink anything.

The X-rays taken yesterday, showed little rocks and things trying to move its way through the colon. The doctor had wondered if he had consumed grease or oil and none came to mind. Then we were told about a friend whose dog had stomach issues after eating the remnants of the bird seeds from the feeder. And it struck us. that Harpo would go to an area where we had a bird feeder and he would sniff and eat from the ground. The bird feeder was a mixture of rendered beef suet, millet, apple dices, apple flavoring, oats and corn...and I am sure bird seed.
( Harpo has also been taking for the past week, 2 pellets twice a day of Plum Flower Calm Stomach, Ping Wel wan recommended form our holistic vet at the same veterinarian hospital.) He just had his late lunch when we got home of vegetables and good ground turkey.

I do not like the idea of feeding him foods I know are not essentially good for him, but at this point I am at a loss. I have tried giving him such good melas and still he turns to eating things he shouldn't and creating health issues. Our vet feels this is all related to his liver shunt. Is it possible, if he has the surgery to correct the liver shunt, all these issues will disappear and he will be like a regular dog? I can only hope.
Thank you.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Frances-

I'm sorry to hear about Harpo's continued anorexia (decreased appetite and not eating on his own) and vomiting.

Here's how I'd proceed in your situation:

Start with the HMDM (Holistic Medical Decision Making) process.

HMDM Step 1 Goal: Stop the current symptoms by working with his body energetically. The "anti" drugs like anti-emetics (anti vomiting) are only temporarily covering up the problem - physically (not energetically).

His underlying imbalance is energetic and can not be fixed with drugs or surgery.

Yes, surgery could eliminate some symptoms, but it does not solve the problem.

HMDM Step 2 Research: As mentioned, your research will show that there are lots of ways to palliate (and cover up) the symptoms, but the underlying problem needs to be addressed energetically by homeopathy, TCVM (Traditional Chinese Vet Med) or Ayurveda.

Vitality and Balance using homeopathy is your best bet IMHO.

HMDM Step 3 Implementation: start working with a practitioner of one of the energetic modalities.

You can find a homeopath who will consult with you and your vet at: www.theavh.org

They will need to both review his full symptom history as well as evaluate all of his medical records,test results, etc.

Please keep us updated and have a great evening.

F

Frances

Thank you again Dr Jeff.
I am grateful Harpo has not vomited in two days, but he has not shown interest in much food this past day. he will eat his dog treats and ate about 1/4 cup of food for breakfast and lunch...but I cannot interest him in anything for dinner. And he does not like the new Balance It Canine plus amino acid vitamin supplement and wont even go near the food with it.
So, I agree with you, there is much more to his health issue.

I will research the site you have mentioned and discuss with my vet other methods in assisting Harpo's health.

I truly appreciate your advice and suggestions.
Frances

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Frances.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
In an email to me, Frances gives an update on Harpo:

"My puppy Harpo, experienced urination difficulties on Wednesday, and I brought him to our vet. X-rays showed stones in his bladder and one blocking the urethra. Within 24 hours he underwent surgery for the liver shunt and removal of the stones from the bladder. The surgeon was able to bring the stone from the urethra to his bladder and remove it from there.

His liver shunt closed 50% at the time and they expect it to close another 30%. They did say because his liver is under developed, remaining on a bland diet of turkey and sweet potatoes and rice pasta is essential for his healing, especially as his kidney and liver have been traumatized and cannot handle heavy foods. But i do administer his meds wrapped in dates or in his pureed foods. And I do add water and some celery juice to his foods. He did throw up once yesterday and mostly the rice noodles which i never blended, but cut into tiny pieces.

Your advice and input will be valuable. When Harpo’s kidneys were elevated, the vet didn’t seem hopeful for my pup, although there were risks included with surgery or not having surgery., After going to the emergency hospital, they assured us surgery would save his life, although complications may arise, and though there was one hiccup, he pulled through.

He is on pain meds, stool softener, and a couple of other things. He has quite a large scar, but I feel he is healing amidst all he is still experiencing, ie pain, restlessness and wearing his party hat (cone,) which he does not like."

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom