• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Vestibular syndrome & risks + duration of anesthesia

Cyd

VIP Member
Registered
Elliott is scheduled tomorrow to have a loose molar removed that has created a serious gum infection. During the pre-op exam when I mentioned that I wanted to focus on the necessary oral surgery in order to hv the shortest possible time under anesthesia & skip the routine cleaning/scaling procedure, the vet reminded me about how invisible, below-the-gumline plaque causes gum disease & strongly recommended the cleaning. It was a little chaotic situation, it was hard to really discuss my preference & general concerns. This week it occurred to me that Elliott's initial acute episode with Vestibular Syndrome in March 2020, which was followed by a less severe episode 6 weeks later in April, might be an aspect of his health history to consider as a top priority reason for him to be anesthetized for the shortest duration of time, especially since the extraction might need extra time to perform. I want the shortest time under Isoflurane. Yes, it would be nice to have professional cleaning done on a "spot" basis i.e. behind the very far-back sides of the left teeth, where the access is not as easy. I haven't even used a scraper yet on what was previously an entire mouth-full of extremely loose, brown caked teeth. It is clear for me to see how even without any scraping, just using a lady's nylon stocking moistened with water as a toothbrush + ozonated sunflower oil on the loose teeth & gum diseased ares + dietary related steps intended to improve cellular regeneration, microbiome re-building & detoxification has allowed a significant amount of the previously dark, brown caked up teeth to become white & secure in the gums. There really is no longer any visible calculus touching the gums, the removal action in my opinion has occurred from the inside to the outside, meaning the elimination/sloughing off of the brown build-up began under the gum line. Elliott is so cooperative & trusting that I have 100% access to all areas of his mouth, & I also know that using a manual scraper without being to see the area is not as precise as the Cavitron. The ideal situation would be if the vet would agree to just Cavitron the very backs of left-side back teeth, those are more challenging to access. I have been told that the office does dental cleanings so quickly that they don't bother using a heart monitor. To me that also means that "custom" cleaning is probably wishful thinking & that the best approach as Elliott's advocate is to clearly & precisely decline cleaning/scaling services entirely beforehand. Would you please give me your opinion about my preference for the shortest possible time under any circumstance for a senior dog, temporarily debilitated by an acute mouth infection to be under anesthesia, especially when there is a recent history of vestibular syndrome? Should I take this hopefully once in Elliott's lifetime opportunity to get a thorough cleaning? Thank you very much!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
If Elliot is not showing any non-mouth, early warning signs of internal imbalance, then yes. This may be the perfect time to have this dental expert do whatever he tinks necessary.

After that, it sounds like Elliot will be a perfect candidate for non-anesthetic dentals.

Cyd

VIP Member
Registered
Thank you Dr. Jeff for your input, I feel a lot more at ease taking Elliott in for his appt with a solid plan. I will do another post to relate the interesting things that I observed this afternoon after Elliott took Hepar Sulph. The truth is that there was a little worry on my part, I think it stimulated a really deep reaction. Today I felt like he felt less pain around the gum lumps, I was actually able to put some pressure on & underneath the protruding gum areas, I feel overall, since his earlier vet visit last Monday the presentation is less swollen & "angry" looking. I think I mentioned earlier that on Friday the swelling had gotten so bad that I couldn't find the loose tooth & thought Elliott had swallowed it! I avoided using homeopathy until yesterday, it was getting difficult staggering the various therapies, but because the vet seemed a little doubtful about the efficacy of a holistic approach vs. the pharma approach with just 1 week of prep time, I really wanted Elliott to show some type of improvement in anticipation of the dental procedure. I think that Elliott experienced some significant internal shifts of energy.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom