• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Vaccinations, Colds, Xrays, Antibiotics, plus Future spaying for 2 month old litter of 3 kittens.

C

Christie

Hi Dr. Jeff-

Got some fresh sweet kittens here. But in order to get the kittens free from the shelter I had to agree on fostering them first. What has transpired has been nutty and what's yet to come is disheartening. I'll explain.

Their mom was sneezing so the shelter started the kittens on Doxycycline & Tobramycin (for the eyes). They also just had Fipronil flea spray, Ponazuril, Droncit injected on top of 3 vaccines shots of Nobivac Feline 1-HCP a couple weeks apart.

Within 3 days with us they suddenly turned bad with their colds, ones eye was almost completely shut, and one kitten completely stopped eating going on 3 days. I was syringe feeding her round the clock as much as possible (but also told to stop at first because it could get in her lungs so I was doing almost drop by drop on the side of the mouth). Total of 2 ER visits plus xrays to rule out pneumonia, plus 1 regular vet visit, fluid shots, b12 shot, (almost 2k). Our vet stopped Doxy on the ailing one, and had us now do Augmentin Suspension twice a day and Idoxuridine eye drops on all (continued Doxy on the other two). A most amazing tip was to run the shower/humidifier because the kitten that stopped eating just couldn't smell her food so she wouldn't touch it. This trick eventually helped to clear the mucus. (They should really do that at shelters). After a lot of sweat & tears, these new things did the trick and they all bounced back and are now thriving! :)

Now, next on the due list soon is Rabies and FVRCP, more Droncit, Flea spray, Pyrantel Pamoate (??), then spaying. I'm not pro vaccination or spaying on my own pets. I do not know how important this is but know they require it in order for us to keep them. All of these things I feel are too much for what we've just been through with them. Not to mention the gut dysbiosis I'm facing after all these antibiotics. I have raw foods for them in the freezer but will wait on it... I think.

Are these upcoming vaccines truly necessary for my indoor cats, that even if I were to pass on they'll still be given to another family member to remain indoors. Do pets even get rabies still? Spaying needed? Will these 3 girls be terrors without spaying as my husband thinks?

How do I get us out of having to do all of this is not in their best interests?

I just think all of this is entirely overkill on freshly undeveloped immune systems. I can't help feel this all contributed to us almost losing her. It's like Russian Roulette on that one out of how many immune systems that couldn't handle it. If she were in the wild, she'd be done! If it wasn't for my tenacity she wouldn't be here and now I'm invested and love & care about them all dearly.

I'd like to boost their systems. I have been syringing them celery juice. Just 1 1/2 on the syringe, very small. Is this a good dose? What is the dose on that anyway? I gave them each a few drops of frozen wheat grass too. Is this OK? Wondering also if I should start on probiotics with the whole anitbiotic craze too. Thanks for you time!

I'm looking forward to hearing your response. I know I'll have more questions about proper care and feeding so if I can sign up for you or your vets access please let me know how. Thanks!

Christie

IMG_6680.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
OMG Christie, your new babies are adorable!!?

Yes, you are 100% correct to be wary of new vaccine (or any) stressors at this time.

Is there a time limit on the vaccines, and can you hold off for another few weeks?

Regardless of this, ideally they would not get multiple vaccines, spaying etc. all at once.

Regarding celery juice, the dose is based on how much you can get in without causing too much stress.

Also, this celery juice thread might be helpful:

Regarding vet access, all Gold members get unlimited forum access as well as 1:1 live access during the Monday 8pm webinars.

I look forward to seeing your other kitty questions!:catfood:

C

Christie

Hi Dr. Jeff,

Thanks for your response.

Isn't this the forum I already have unlimited access to?

I can hold off on everything for now as the runt of the litter is still facing upper respiratory issues. She's still slightly congested but BEAM is amazing, and we're told this could be just a chronic life-long cold since she hasn't responded to the Doxy or Augmentin she was on. Is this true? I feel like I can heal her.

I gave a couple of drops of wheatgrass. Celery juice. But also ran out of kitten food tonight and gave them big cat food and think it got them a little speedy. I'm guessing too much high doses of nutrients?

Do you think Respiratory Relief by HawaiiPharm on Anthony William's pet website would be appropriate in healing her? It didn't work on my late Tiki and her asthma, maybe this is what it's for.. colds?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hiya Christie, yes this is indeed the forum where you can ask any question.

Yes and no regarding persistent viral infections.

They are indeed often lifelong however effects from them can also be improved or eliminated using the natural Vitality and Balance that you are promoting.

Lack of response to the suppressive drugs is actually a good sign!

This indicates that her body is strong enough to say "no thank you" to symptom suppression.

Quick and 100% response to anti-pathic medications indicates a weaker vital force.

Usually kitten food is higher in nutrient content so the big cat food should be OK as part of their diet variety.

Are you also using fresh food in their diet? If not, it would be a great thing to start as the increased Vitality of the fresh food will improve the ability to heal (and stay well).

Yes, the RespiratoryRelief that Anthony recommends is an awe-some product!

Liquid Immuno from Rx Vitamins is also a great immune booster for this situation that is a very useful complement.

VetRxDirect is an even more cost-effective source.

Lastly, general cellular energy boosting using Pranayama for Pets and E-Lyte (a human energy drink) would both be helpful.

C

Christie

Thank you Dr. Jeff!! Your responses always blow me away! Christie

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
?

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom