• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Using Essential Oils Along With Homeopathy For Pets

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
I'm a big advocate for the use of essential oils for human and animals (I used AnimalEO for my dog in the past)...I was instructed that, during homeopathic treatments for our pets, we are not to expose our pets to strong odors or any form of camphor. However, a holistic vet had commented that a combination of some essential oils and homeopathic remedies can be very beneficial. What's your take on it?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hmm, do you mean mixing essential oils and homeopathic medicines together, or supporting the body during homeopathic treatment?

If the latter, I'd agree. The former, no.

The only proviso is to avoid using both at the same time which can affect the action and interpretation of the homeopathic remedy.

ivegrgas

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Dr. Jeff -

Can you please clarify what do you mean when you say "at the same time?"

I have been given similar advice about the use of aromatherapy and homeopathic medicines in humans. The way I understood the direction, I was to avoid anything with a strong odor while taking a homeopathic remedy including mint (e.g. mint-flavored toothpaste), garlic and coffee. Therefore, I switched to charcoal toothpaste, and it is not the same!

Is it sufficient to wait for some time (e.g. 30 minutes) between administering homeopathic remedy and using aromatherapy?

Thank you,
Ive

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
In 1 mixture of eos + a homeopathic medicine.

It depends Ive (seriously).

While the initial response and equilibrium is first being established from a new homeopathic medicine, I prefer to avoid anything that can affect symptoms.

Once a stable balance is achieved, yes.

30 minutes is usually sufficient unless the oil concentration is high, e.g. very smelly.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Interestingly, but not surprisingly, many myths have developed over the centuries of homeopathic use. Hahnemann did say to avoid anything that could disturb the vital force. His list is much different than ours today. He said avoid eating greens or playing chess, for instance. It is still true that is probably not good to live in damp basements.

Over 40 years of being in the homeopathic community, I have seen that there are few LAWS that must be followed. For instance, many say that if a person is prescribed Phosphorus (known to help you recover from anesthesia), you should not have dental work or surgery. Dr. Herscu was able to say that specific patients, given their reactions to things in the past, should temporarily avoid anesthesia, yet it was fine for others.

Some homeopaths find it easier to just give a list of many things to avoid. There are homeopaths who find that many (or even most) of the patients they attract to their practice have a problem when using mint toothpaste, or essential oils, or coffee...and other practitioners do not.

A classmate in my second weekend veterinary homeopathy class was a pediatrician who practiced in my area. She did not find stopping coffee was needed in order to cure someone. Because I loved my once a month cappuccino coffee at a French restaurant, I chose to go to her to resolve a year long discharge. Upon arriving, she introduced me to a friend and colleague from Belgium (later I found out that Jacques Imbrecht was a famous homeopath) and asked if he could sit in on my session. I said of course. He said no caffeine of any sort for 3 months! The Natrum muriaticum (and maybe no caffeine?) made profound changes in my life, resulting in my marrying a wonderful man.

So two excellent homeopaths - one says no to coffee and one says yes.
I recommend asking if their guidelines are from their current practice experience, or merely standard ones.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yup! That should be fine.:thumbsup:

Please also see if he will eat fresh parsley.

Now Foods sells a Papaya Enzyme that contains mint (yes, it's OK to use) and chlorophyll that should also help with dragon breath (and digestion).????

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Christine, I love how committed you are to Koby's health and to learning more and more about the holistic approach.

Do keep reading the Organon, re-listening to the principles of homeopathy in both courses and focusing on building balance with a good basic diet and homeopathic treatment with Dr. Jeff.

Our goal is not to be giving our dogs and cats one or more treatments/preventatives for gums, teeth, paws, ears, skin, digestive system, locomotor system, bladder, etc.

Our goal is to restore balance and use a minimum of "treatments".

You know how many things you give Koby each day, while we in the forum are not keeping track of that (Dr. Jeff will review everything you are using at each appointment), so you are the one to decide what is needed.

There is no one right answer. Learning muscle testing/dowsing/pendulum to ask what is needed each day can be useful. Some pets thrive on 20 different supplements/treatments per day, others thrive on 2 or 3.

Dr. Christina

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Christine, I love how committed you are to Koby's health and to learning more and more about the holistic approach.

Do keep reading the Organon, re-listening to the principles of homeopathy in both courses and focusing on building balance with a good basic diet and homeopathic treatment with Dr. Jeff.

Our goal is not to be giving our dogs and cats one or more treatments/preventatives for gums, teeth, paws, ears, skin, digestive system, locomotor system, bladder, etc.

Our goal is to restore balance and use a minimum of "treatments".

You know how many things you give Koby each day, while we in the forum are not keeping track of that (Dr. Jeff will review everything you are using at each appointment), so you are the one to decide what is needed.

There is no one right answer. Learning muscle testing/dowsing/pendulum to ask what is needed each day can be useful. Some pets thrive on 20 different supplements/treatments per day, others thrive on 2 or 3.

Dr. Christina

Thank you! I love watching the courses online and have downloaded them and I listen to them whenever I can. Thank you for the courses.

I will look into muscle testing/dowsing/pendulum ... don't know much about them...hmm...maybe we can have an EH! on these too? ?

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Is it ok to diffuse essential oils around our pets?

Hello! Yes and no, source of essential oils is very vital. I recommend you checking out www.animaleo.com by Dr. Melissa Shelton, DVM and her FaceBook page for lots of useful info. She is great at answering questions. I only use her oils when I'm using it around my dog. Again, check with your homeopath vet if you're working with one to see if it's okay :) Hope this helps!

JamieK

All-Access Member
Registered

Dr.Melissa

Registered
Veterinarian
@Dr. Jeff @Dr. Christina - do you think rubbing "Dog Breath Lite" on Koby's gum is okay, that is, applying it not immediately before or after dosing a remedy. I can also dilute it in coconut oil. Here's the link: https://www.animaleo.info/dog-breath.html

I'll answer quick from my experience base - we have used Dog Breath and Dog Breath LITE with dogs on homeopathy (and also with myself when I use homeopathy to see what I feel differently or with effects).

I find if you stagger them somewhat (now I am not a strict 30 minute sort of folk)...I typically would give the homeopathic remedy first, allow to be entirely absorbed (say I'm doing one under my own tongue) - I do not touch the remedy vials with super smelly essential oil hands, or the like. And I won't drip the Dog Breath into my mouth with the homeopathy, or immediately there after. But pretty close to it often, as I am a lazy person! So as soon as dissolved and absorbed. I'm often moving onto an essential oil application.

Say I am feeling the flu hitting - I take the flu homeopathy vial. And start collecting my oils together. If I am able - I'll take the homeopathy and wait 10 minutes or so. I actually feel that I feel better when I take the homeopathy - then within minutes I am having my husband apply an AromaBoost RTU application. I swear that is my golden bullet (way better than silver!) - and I will feel incredibly better after that combination.

But I do not ignore any modality - and find them all synergistic. If it takes no hardship in my using homeopathy in the morning, and oils at night, or after a 30 minute wait - then I honor that.

Dr. Melissa Shelton

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Hi Everyone!!
Looking forward to the new Empower Hour tonight and thought I would post this link I found a while back. It is an article from a holistic veterinarian in the UK who did extensive research on how essential oils are safe to use on cats. It was such a great read.
Excellent article - thank you PandaBear.
Dr. Christina

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
I'll answer quick from my experience base - we have used Dog Breath and Dog Breath LITE with dogs on homeopathy (and also with myself when I use homeopathy to see what I feel differently or with effects).

I find if you stagger them somewhat (now I am not a strict 30 minute sort of folk)...I typically would give the homeopathic remedy first, allow to be entirely absorbed (say I'm doing one under my own tongue) - I do not touch the remedy vials with super smelly essential oil hands, or the like. And I won't drip the Dog Breath into my mouth with the homeopathy, or immediately there after. But pretty close to it often, as I am a lazy person! So as soon as dissolved and absorbed. I'm often moving onto an essential oil application.

Say I am feeling the flu hitting - I take the flu homeopathy vial. And start collecting my oils together. If I am able - I'll take the homeopathy and wait 10 minutes or so. I actually feel that I feel better when I take the homeopathy - then within minutes I am having my husband apply an AromaBoost RTU application. I swear that is my golden bullet (way better than silver!) - and I will feel incredibly better after that combination.

But I do not ignore any modality - and find them all synergistic. If it takes no hardship in my using homeopathy in the morning, and oils at night, or after a 30 minute wait - then I honor that.

Dr. Melissa Shelton

As we frequently say - "It Depends".

If you have spent hours with a veterinary homeopath to treat a serious illness (seizure, cancer, chronic diarrhea, etc) and are getting ready to give the first remedy, I would not start essential oils the same day, or maybe even the same week. I would go with what your homeopath suggests. We need to allow the body to respond to the remedy so we can evaluate the problem.

If your dog was just bit by a bee and starting to swell it is fine to give the homeopathic medicine as Dr. Melissa suggests, wait a few minutes, then add in the essential oil if it is even needed then.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, thanks for the wise words @Dr.Melissa and @Dr. Christina!

I agree that essential oils are fine to use during homeopathic treatment.

However since the changes, that you can observe, after a homeopathic medicine are often subtle, it's often best to not use the EO right near a new dose of homeopathic remedy.

There is a direct relationship between the acuteness of the problem and the time you should wait after a dose.

The pet with swelling after a bee bite is a great example. If an indicated remedy like Apis dosing is not doing it's job right away, then using an oil within a few minutes of the last Apis dose is OK.

This also brings up the great topic that Dr. Melissa mentioned during last night's webinar of symptomatic relief vs. treating the underlying problem.

In acute situations treating the response to the trigger, like swelling after a bee bite, needs to take into consideration any work you are doing to treat the chronic underlying dis-ease.

Sometimes giving a dose of your pets' chronic remedy is the best holistic action you can take.

Let's discuss this important topic over in the the homeopathy folder.

@kingsgrlie, maybe you'd like to start a thread over there with any questions?

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you for the wonderful advice/comments, Drs! We're excited to use AnimalEO oils as part of our regimen again ?

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom