• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Ultra Oil for cats

TammiL

VIP Member
Registered
Hi,
I was at a somewhat local store and they offered a sample of Ultra Oil. I am attaching the description of it. Would this be a good oil to TRY to give my cats Chewey or Tigger since they are both itchy and have had some dandruff within the past year?
Screenshot_20210729-085818_Chrome.jpg

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Quickie analysis: It is almost half pro-inflammatory Omega-6 (linoleic acid), with the Omega-3s mostly plant-based (alpha-linolenic acid). ALA is good for skin, but it doesn't have the anti-inflammatory properties that fish oil does. Cats do not need Omege-9, it's just added calories. Though it claims fish oil as an ingredient, EPA (the anti-inflammatory Omega-3) and DHA aren't even mentioned in the analysis, so are likely at an insignificant level.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Tammi, since I believe Chewey is already on a fresh food diet, I agree that an oil would be great to add.

Here's the one I use in my practice:

TammiL

VIP Member
Registered
Thanks everyone for the great answers and questions! Yes, they both eat raw frozen since last September/October. They are both also licking and ingesting a bunch of hair and we have throw up hairball issues I was also hoping to alleviate or lessen. The dry skin seems to go up and down. Here's a picture of it using a flea comb tonight. Chewey is white and long hair. Tigger is short and dark hair.

20210729_204412.jpg

20210729_204426.jpg

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom