• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Ulcerative keratonosis in 5 month old kitten

RoxanneR

All-Access Member
Registered
Looking for anyone dealing with ulcerative keratonisis in a young cat. I adopted the cat who had a respiratory infection that apparently was caused by Bordatella. No fault to the excellent breeder at all. Went to conjunctivitis and now ulcerative keratonosis. Multiple topical and internal antibiotics over the months. Initial improvement then decline again. Eye is very hazy, red around the skin of the eyeball and extremely sensitive to light. Any experiences truly appreciated! This guy is a love bug regardless!! Thank you

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Welcome Roxanne, and thanks for making your first post.

Infectious upper respiratory problems are pretty common in catteries. Typically, a virus (most commonly a herpesvirus, occasionally Bordetella) triggers an inflammatory response in the eye. You can see this with symptoms like eye redness, swelling, discharge, squinting, etc.

Once in a while a corneal ulcer, also called ulcerative keratitis, can result. I'm not sure what keratonosis is.

Corneal ulcers can heal quickly, or may be indolent and difficult to resolve.

Frequent (3-4x a day or more) hot compresses followed by lubricating drops like Remend support the eye while it heals whichever bug was the trigger.

Liquid Immuno from Rx Vitamins is an awe-some way to support and improve immune function in kitties:

RoxanneR

All-Access Member
Registered
Welcome Roxanne, and thanks for making your first post.

Infectious upper respiratory problems are pretty common in catteries. Typically, a virus (most commonly a herpesvirus, occasionally Bordetella) triggers an inflammatory response in the eye. You can see this with symptoms like eye redness, swelling, discharge, squinting, etc.

Once in a while a corneal ulcer, also called ulcerative keratitis, can result. I'm not sure what keratonosis is.

Corneal ulcers can heal quickly, or may be indolent and difficult to resolve.

Frequent (3-4x a day or more) hot compresses followed by lubricating drops like Remend support the eye while it heals whichever bug was the trigger.

Liquid Immuno from Rx Vitamins is an awe-some way to support and improve immune function in kitties:

Thank you Dr Jeff. I purchased the liquid immuno drops and will begin the compresses when I can get the Remend drops. They are by RX only.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You can start right away with speeding up corneal repair using any gentle human eye lubricant. Products like Genteal and Systane are readily available in most human pharmacies.

The Remend takes lubrication to the next level with hyaluronic aid to make it even more soothing. It is also available OTC:

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom