• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Thyroid medication question

MonteB

All-Access Member
Registered
  1. age 12
  2. Male
  3. Neutered
  4. Rat Terrier
  5. 16.2 lbs
  6. BEAM - tense, always hungry
  7. home cooked diet
  8. He has been on thyroid medication for three years. over time he has become growly and at times vicious. when we need to remove ticks or clip his nails he will have an outburst and try and bite us. we have lowered the dose slowly. I would like help in tapering the med, how often and at what point do I try a homeopathic remedy to help with the thyroid?
  9. @Dr. Christina @Dr. Jeff

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for starting your first forum discussion Monte.?❤️

I'm so glad you asked the super important question about weaning the thyroid medication!:snowman:?

IMHO the answer to when you start treating with homeopathy is right away.

However, how you do it will depend on the full context of the dis-ease. Factors like diet, other and prior health challenges, full history, etc.

Are you working with an integrative vet that can help guide your tapering?

I ask because hypothyroidism (like most dis-eases) is fundamentally an energetic imbalance and some integrative vets can help you wean and get the best of both worlds.

Regarding the choice of the specific homeopathic medicines that can help, I'd recommend that you consult with a pure homeopath who will have the advanced training and experience that many general holistic vets don't pursue.

These two wonderful colleagues of mine may be able to help:

In addition, you'll find tons of resources and messages in the HA! member area and on the forum that discuss thyroid function and this approach to getting the best of both worlds.

On tonight's (4/4/22) webinar about TTouch, Pam Wanveer will share other tools and tips that you can use to help even out your pup's behavior.

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Dear Monte,
Dr. Jeff has provided some excellent advice on finding an holistic practitioner and thoroughly assessing your pup.

It is important to have a thorough assessment of your dog. You don't mention how his hypothyroidism was diagnosed, or how the dose was adjusted. Excess thyroid hormone and too little thyroid hormone can both cause irritability. In addition, the most significant cause of irritability - especially in senior dogs - is pain. A senior dog could easily have joint pain or more subtle discomfort that causes irritability when handled. Few dogs like having nails trimmed, and if they are painful, they can react badly when restrained, as restraint can increase pain.

Holistic treatment can certainly resolve hypothyroidism, though some dogs will always need replacement hormone. Hypothyroidism in dogs is almost always an immune disease, and resolution of the problem depends upon how much of the thyroid is still functional. We must always consider the dog's health and comfort, and not hurry into lowering the dose of replacement hormone too quickly without appropriate monitoring of the thyroid levels and the individual's well being. After three years your dog's body is dependent on the replacement hormone, and we must build up his inner homeostatic (internal balance) mechanisms to have a chance for him to function without replacement hormone.
I hope this helps,
Dr. Sara

MonteB

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks for starting your first forum discussion Monte.?❤️

I'm so glad you asked the super important question about weaning the thyroid medication!:snowman:?

IMHO the answer to when you start treating with homeopathy is right away.

However, how you do it will depend on the full context of the dis-ease. Factors like diet, other and prior health challenges, full history, etc.

Are you working with an integrative vet that can help guide your tapering?

I ask because hypothyroidism (like most dis-eases) is fundamentally an energetic imbalance and some integrative vets can help you wean and get the best of both worlds.

Regarding the choice of the specific homeopathic medicines that can help, I'd recommend that you consult with a pure homeopath who will have the advanced training and experience that many general holistic vets don't pursue.

These two wonderful colleagues of mine may be able to help:

In addition, you'll find tons of resources and messages in the HA! member area and on the forum that discuss thyroid function and this approach to getting the best of both worlds.

On tonight's (4/4/22) webinar about TTouch, Pam Wanveer will share other tools and tips that you can use to help even out your pup's behavior.
Hi Dr. Jeff, Thanks for your information. Unfortunately the closest holistic vet is hours from where I live. We have gone to that practice quite a few times, before the pandemic. I am mulling over the possible choices of homeopathic vets that do zoom.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Monte. ? ❤️

MonteB

All-Access Member
Registered
Dear Monte,
Dr. Jeff has provided some excellent advice on finding an holistic practitioner and thoroughly assessing your pup.

It is important to have a thorough assessment of your dog. You don't mention how his hypothyroidism was diagnosed, or how the dose was adjusted. Excess thyroid hormone and too little thyroid hormone can both cause irritability. In addition, the most significant cause of irritability - especially in senior dogs - is pain. A senior dog could easily have joint pain or more subtle discomfort that causes irritability when handled. Few dogs like having nails trimmed, and if they are painful, they can react badly when restrained, as restraint can increase pain.

Holistic treatment can certainly resolve hypothyroidism, though some dogs will always need replacement hormone. Hypothyroidism in dogs is almost always an immune disease, and resolution of the problem depends upon how much of the thyroid is still functional. We must always consider the dog's health and comfort, and not hurry into lowering the dose of replacement hormone too quickly without appropriate monitoring of the thyroid levels and the individual's well being. After three years your dog's body is dependent on the replacement hormone, and we must build up his inner homeostatic (internal balance) mechanisms to have a chance for him to function without replacement hormone.
I hope this helps,
Dr. Sara
Hi Dr. Sara, Thanks so much for your thoughtful response. About three years ago we took him to a holistic vet and got a diagnosis of Plechner Syndrome. He was put on Prednisolone 1X a day, and Thyro Tabs, .1 mg 2 X a day. I was not real happy about putting him on 2 meds. If I had to do it again I would look for options first. He remained on the Prednisolone for about a year. He lost some of his fur and was supper hyper. I told the vet and we slowly got him off of the Prednisolone. At that point she also said to reduce the Thro Tabs to 1X a day. I have continued monitoring the blood work about every three months to see how much I could lower the dose. At this point he is taking 38 mcg of the thyroid med. Each time we look at the blood work it shows the thyroid is slightly higher than before even after lowering the dose, which I find very encouraging. We have done the lowering very slowly. I would love to eventually get him off the med and deal with the thyroid with homeopathy.
Thanks, Monte

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom