• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Taurine in ground meat

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello @Dr. Jean - I think you shared in the chat room in today's webinar that taurine is depleted when we grind up meat so we should supplement taurine to the raw ground meat we feed our pets. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to save the chat before the Zoom meeting ended! Can you confirm?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
FYI Christine- @Dr. Christina edited the chat and it was sent along with the recordings and is also in your member area.

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Let me provide a bit more detail... if you are grinding meat at home, and you retain and add back all the juice, then you're keeping the taurine. If you buy packaged ground meat, that fluid is either lost in the process or gets soaked up in those gel things and is inaccessible. If you're using meats that are borderline low in taurine (ruminant, rabbit, white meat poultry) then you could be looking at a real deficiency. As Dr. Christina said, taurine is cheap and extremely safe. It's also quite palatable (it tastes mildly salty). So, when in doubt, just add it.

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Let me provide a bit more detail... if you are grinding meat at home, and you retain and add back all the juice, then you're keeping the taurine. If you buy packaged ground meat, that fluid is either lost in the process or gets soaked up in those gel things and is inaccessible. If you're using meats that are borderline low in taurine (ruminant, rabbit, white meat poultry) then you could be looking at a real deficiency. As Dr. Christina said, taurine is cheap and extremely safe. It's also quite palatable (it tastes mildly salty). So, when in doubt, just add it.
Thank you, @Dr. Jean - can you recommend a taurine supplement that I can add to my dog's food? We buy packaged ground meat like Answers (will soon switch to Kure once it's available).

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
All taurine is produced in just a few labs, mostly in Japan I think. Brand doesn't really matter since the source is the same, but personally I like Jarrow because their capsules are easy to open, no fingernails required. ?

SharonC

All-Access Member
Registered
How much of a Jarrow capsule? Sir Frederick my 6 year old kitty, his raw diet is mostly grass feed local ground beef, some ground up local egg shells and a bit of spouts I sprout, and wheat grass I sprout, and grass Fred eats outside. He shakes his paws, so don't know what that is,????? Maybe starving and full of worms, including lungworm and close to death, may have effected his bones or nerves in his paws. Fred shakes his front paws while walking.
I don't know his history before 8 months, Fred came to us in the wild. starving and 5 1/2 lbs. Fred is a currently 13 lbs and has a tummy....and is back on a steroid Prednisolone 5mg, as the heat and humid in June trigged rapid breathing again, of 58 breaths at resting breath. This BEAM is good.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Do you lose the taurine if you are cooking the meat in water for the dog who gets some of the juice with the meal? Thanks good info. I had no idea that even if you do feed meat you still have to think about enough taurine.

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Boiling leaches the taurine out of meat.

Big dogs are less able to make taurine than little dogs. Just to be really extra super safe, if your dog is >50#, I'd add taurine after cooking.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom