• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Swollen lips & Chin - Luna 6 yo female kitty

Vani

Community Member
Registered
My kitty Luna had an allergic reaction that we noticed this morning. Shortly after eating salmon she vomited and she had swollen lips and a swollen chin. She’s had this happen once before when we increased her hawaiipharm Propolis, she vomitted and had swollen lips and chin (we no longer give her Propolis). She never reacts from salmon, so this was odd. It’s the one food she rarely vomits.

The last time this happened I knew the cause, a reaction to the higher Propolis dosage, so I gave her some salmon with Vimergy Micro-C (it can help with swelling) and the swelling went down. I did the same today, the swelling on the lips went down but the chin is still a little swollen (see pics). She has not thrown up the salmon and vitamin c. I plan on giving her a little more salmon and vitamin C later today if the chin swelling remains.

Besides the vomitting this morning, she has not vomited since. Her BEAM is good, she quickly ate the salmon with vitamin c. she is breathing well, the swelling seems to only be impacting chin only.

I wanted to know what is a homeopathic option/product to help reduce the swelling for a future incident? She tends to be more sensitive than our other kitty so I’d like to have something on hand to reduce allergic swelling.

Is there anything else I should do, look out for, or consider?

We haven’t given her anything new this morning except last night we sprayed the deer velvet on their teeth (they have gingivitis/infected teeth). It does contain Propolis. We’ve used it for several weeks and she hasn’t had the reaction until today, so I’m not sure if that was what she reacted to. I can give it to her again in a couple days to see if she reacts to it the following morning, but overnight seems like a long time to react to it. Would eating a spider or another bug cause this type of reaction?

9415D2C8-72FB-49DF-9E9F-11F7F0252CFF.jpeg

192BE199-0634-46FD-8FDF-8EE80167B812.jpeg

1E7D00ED-3332-48E8-BCFD-EE890A6CD1FC.jpeg

F6A919A9-31FA-476E-86A3-F5D5844999E7.jpeg

Vani

Community Member
Registered
I forgot to put the overview details:
  1. Your pet's name: Luna
  2. Approximate age: 7 yrs old in February 2023
  3. Sex Female
  4. Neutering status Yes
  5. Breed Siamese & Tabby mix
  6. Approximate weight ~10 lbs
  7. What's their BEAM (behavior, energy, appetite, mood) All are good, except her vomiting all her food this morning and swollen lip and chin this morning. Her energy is the same and she ate the second serving of salmon without vomiting. She’s also had dinner without vomiting.
  8. Diet: Viva Raw Rabbit, cooked unsalted wild caught salmon (human food) & unsalted wild caught canned sardines (human food).
  9. Vaccination history / exposure to toxins, other medication: Right when we adopted them, they had ringworm so we didn’t know any better and gave them oral anti-fungals and took them to vet for sulphur baths for 2 month period. Then later they showed symptoms of a herpetic virus because their eyes would become severely swollen. They were given steroids and antibiotics several times. Then later we learned to give them L-Lysine and that symptom hasn’t come back. They now take the Vimergy L-Lysine and Vimergy Micro-C. They received vaccines up until Sept 2019. They don’t get them any longer.
  10. Primary problem, when it began and if there was anything else happening around that time - see above.
  11. Is the condition better or worse from exercise, heat, cold, time of day, certain foods, emotional upset, being touched, excitement, etc? I’m not sure what made it occur, but the contain C helped reduce the swelling.
  12. Has any diagnostic work been done? Diagnosis if available (you can attach your diagnostic tests to the post if you have them) no.
  13. Current and previous treatments just vitamin C, appreciate any other recommendations.
  14. Other health concerns: history of getting UTI’s and gingivitis/infected teeth.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Vani-

I'm sorry to hear about Luna's reaction (which does sound allergic) and am super happy to hear about her speedy re-balancing and recovery.
I wanted to know what is a homeopathic option/product to help reduce the swelling for a future incident?
I'm so glad you asked! Luna's little health challenge this am provides a great chance to mention the 4 A homeopathic medicines to have around the house in case of emergency.

INFOGRAPHICS 4 Awesome As.png
In the case of bug bites, swellings and allergic reactions, Apis is an amazing remedy.
Is there anything else I should do, look out for, or consider?
Perhaps a vet exam and wellness diagnostic tests to rule out increased likelihood of getting these symptoms because of a co-morbidity.
Would eating a spider or another bug cause this type of reaction?
Yes!

@aruna, I'd appreciate your guiding Vani to resources about the 4 As.

TarynF

Registered
Would Apis be good for IBD inflammation? Where could we buy it? And what would dose /administration instructions be? Thank you.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great question Taryn!

Since homeopathic medicines for conditions like IBD need to be individualized, it's impossible to know whether Apis would be helpful.

In general, homeopathic medicines are available from Whole Foods, many health food stores and directly from the manufacturers.

One of the companies that stands out due to their focus on sustainability, caring and compassion for the world is:

One of the founders did a great webinar with HA! community this year, so you can find the recording archived in your community member area.

For dosing I typically advise 1 pellet added to 1 cup of water and the cup succussed (whacked against the palm of your hand or counter) 10x before dosing by dipping in a Q-tip and touching it to the gums.

The frequency is based on the acuteness of the symptoms, e.g. Apis for swelling after a bug bite may be up to every few minutes.

The homeopathy courses and resources in your member area have much more info.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom