• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Swelling in lower abdomen in unspayed dog

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I was noticing Blossom as she was laying on her right side and took a photo, swelling in her lower abdomen. I did not notice this swelling so much when laying on her left side. I reviewed my pictures of her when I got her, she was clearly leaner (last I weighed her in April she had gained 10 lbs) But I did not think the swelling was weight gain or food in the digestive tract. I emailed the homeopathic vet and my regular vet. The homeopathic vet thought it could be her uterus. I don't think pyometra because I would have seen that a couple months ago after her heat that started in December. I am waiting for my local vet to call. He said he did not do a full ultrasound like they do at the hospitals but I was asking him to do a quick and dirty ultrasound of the area like my former retired vet used to do with Gabby and JJ with thyroid tumor and splenic tumors, respectively. She is not scheduled for blood till June 13th with my backup vet. I hope to call and get it moved up. Her blood results could be a by product of something else as I have noticed in my 5 other dogs to be true--not a problem with the blood itself but indicative of some other problem. Should I have her hormones tested as well--estrogen, progesterone, testosterone? She is getting worse with her tiredness. The heat doesn't help. Her not drinking water doesn't help. I put some water on her lip and she turned away like she was disgusted by it. I feel like I am watching her decline and must do something proactive medically. I told the homeopathic vet that this was the priority and need something for her medical presentation which is worse. I will go full on conventional soon because I cannot watch her like this. She is not happy. Homeopath told me to give Arsenicum 30c stirred 10 times and give a teaspoon. I will try and give directly in her mouth but hope I can still use the milk if all else fails. Will update when my vet calls me later if he has anything new to say.

2D308DFC-FFFE-4E5F-84EC-7CF932AD05C5.jpeg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I'm glad she got the Ars! Now comes the fun part of watching her get better and better!! ?
Should I have her hormones tested as well--estrogen, progesterone, testosterone?
Sure (tho it may cost a few hundred extra dollars in addition to the other blood work).

LilF

Community Member
Registered
My regular vet emailed and said he thought he could see some mammary gland hyperplasia mixed with fatty tissue. I do not see how mammary inflammation would cause that buldge. But, I talked him into a quick scan which he said he couldn't do a week ago because he wasn't a sonographer. I told him Gabby and JJ's retired vet used to ultrasound them and just make a few notes in the record, not a formal report. He had done this with thyroid and spleen to at least give me an idea what I was dealing with back then. And then he would advise me to go and get an ultrasound at a hospital. So now the vet says yes he will do a quick scan--- YAY.... I did notice she walked slightly better this evening at dusk. I was shuttling her along to stay ahead of a nasty neighborhood dog who was behind us. When I got home I said to myself, "hey that walk didn't take as long as usual" I am supposed to see if she improves and if not give her another dose tomorrow morning. But I am not sure how much of an improvement I am to use as a yardstick as to if I should dose her again. I snuck it into her mouth and know she got some but think she is on her guard again with me coming at her again. By the way did I tell you that the homeopath said in the car I could use a cotton ball to put the remedy on her nose to dose her with that remedy instead of spritzing it in the air so I don't get affected. I didn't ask if I should still use the aconite AND the arsenicum. That would be two remedies and thought she should just have one.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great news Lil that your vet will do the scan and that Blossom is showing slight improvement.
"hey that walk didn't take as long as usual" I am supposed to see if she improves and if not give her another dose tomorrow morning. But I am not sure how much of an improvement I am to use as a yardstick as to if I should dose her again. I snuck it into her mouth and know she got some but think she is on her guard again with me coming at her again
Great, and super important, question Lil! IMHO, I think that both Blossom and her body would prefer you to wait and watch a few days. Let tincture of time work its "magic".

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I did not give Blossom any more Arsenica today because I saw some improvement this morning on her walk. Not like a dog her age should walk but nonetheless an improvement, My instruction was if you see any improvement to not give her any more. Well she is having a really great day. She is smiling so much. I have not seen her smile since December when the trainer was here. She was just never smiling. When she came in the house after her walk she always hesitates to take the one step into the house from the garage, smelling it and seeming to be apprehensive. Today, she just walked right in. So then I took her for a car ride. Again, I was uncertain to give her the aconite or not. I decided to not give it to her and watch what happens but take the aconite with me along with cotton balls to dab her nose with. She rode 17 minutes without any break in between smiling most of the time. A couple times seemed to get active but then settled down. I sang JJ's song the whole time and added different words with her name in it. She is familiar with that tune. So I did not use the aconite, I was concerned that would muddle up the effects I was watching with the Arsenica. I took some adorable pictures of her in the driver seat smiling away. She likes to just hang out in the car in the yard with me. I talked to her when we got back and told her to put her past away and thanked her for being so good (thanked JJ too for helping) I told her what a good momma she was taking care of her babies (plushies) and how nice she protects them. Her happiness was just so refreshing and I was happy with her. It was like she was releasing stuff and I told her she had a good life now. So will see what continues until monday when I do my reporting. It is hard for me to believe some tiny pellet dissolved in a glass of water stirred 10 times could do anything at all. I did not even get it all in her mouth but I know she got some because I saw her reacting to it. I am praying that her good results continue. I love seeing her happy. Her eyes looked happy today too, bright and lively. I will take her for a walk at dusk when it gets cooler and see what happens with her pace. I tell her I was so glad I adopted her and JJ and Gabby made it happen, I am sure.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
she is having a really great day
YAY! :snowman:Good work Lil!!?

I took some adorable pictures of her in the driver seat smiling away.
Ooh, if you're comfortable doing so, please share some of these pics!
It is hard for me to believe some tiny pellet dissolved in a glass of water stirred 10 times could do anything at all
Yes! That's one of the reasons that more pet parents aren't using homeopathy (yet). Love stories like yours with Blossom will help change that!!

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Here she was today. She likes to have her picture taken. She is adorable and so pretty when she smiles

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for sharing the beautiful photo Lil!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom