• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Supplements/MSM and homeopathy

H

hsutopia

I'm not sure if this belongs in the Homeopathy or nutrition section.  I remember years ago being advised to avoid supplements that contained ingredients that are also homeopathic remedies.  One such ingredient is MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane) which contains sulfur.  I'm wondering if this is still accurate?  Would it apply only to dogs during the time they are receiving homeopathic treatment, or to all dogs regardless?   I'm asking because there's a supplement I've fed for years to my older dogs that works really well, but contains MSM.

Thanks!

beccak

All-Access Member
Pet Professional
Registered
I was told the same from a previous homeopathic vet. Eager to her the answer.

Becca

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I agree 100% with the warning about MSM.

In fact, be wary of any supplement (or drug) that is very effective at calming symptoms.

At best these are <strong>palliative</strong> and can cover up important symptoms. Some (like MSM) can even suppress them entirely.

It then becomes very difficult to interpret these blunted ("improved") symptoms. <strong>You then may feel that your pet is getting better, when the opposite is true</strong>.

In the case of MSM, this is primarily because this supplement contains a high % of sulphur.

As you know, Dr. Hahnemann found Sulphur to be one of the most-commonly needed, but oft abused, medicines.

When used according to the natural law of similia (likes), and in properly diluted and homeopathically-prepared (triturated) form, it can be incredibly useful.

However the large doses of MSM, can cause problems.

Any medicinal substance can both help and hurt.

<strong>Individualization is always the key</strong>.

Dr. Jeff

PS-Christine also asked about about avoiding any substance that contains an ingredient that is also a homeopathic medicine. Great question! However, since <strong>any substance in nature can be used homeopathically</strong> - this would be a different discussion.

&nbsp;

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom