• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Storing raw meat

JoannC

All-Access Member
Registered
I am unsure of method for storing almost raw, lightly steamed meat. After it is lightly steamed I keep some in the refrigerator but use it up within 2 days and I also freeze some in freezer containers. It has no premix in it as I try to slightly warm the meat in a cup of warm water before feeding and add the balance of nutrients to the meal, or add some canned Cornecupia. Can anyone help me on the proper procedure?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
IMHO, just keep doing what you are already doing, JoAnn!

Is this safe protocol too cumbersome?

JoannC

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Dr Jeff, no I guess I was just second guessing myself since Teddy is so vulnerable right now. I lightly steam the meat, but it’s almost raw and I have him eat some while I’m putting it in containers. Raw is different for me and lately I know he needs the nutrients in the raw so it’s more unsteamed than I normally do, if that makes sense. He loves the raw meat. I just wanted to make sure that was ok to do before freezing it and some I just put in the refrigerator and use up in a day.

My question would be is the meat in the refrigerator ok to have them both eat without freezing or is freezing an important process to kill bacteria. I read at some point in Dr Becker’s book she freezes her meats for 3 days to kill any bacteria? Can you clarify this.

I have stopped using the premix and am using some canned and Dr Baskos feeding cats guide as best as I can.

I had 2 choices for Teddy, one was to bleed him and start chemotherapy and the other was restart a very good plan of Homepathic remedy, tradional Chinese herb, and supplement and good diet.

I chose the second one. I think in Teddy’s life, he should live his days allowed him happy, eating well, and not going into a hospital every 3 -4 weeks for several hrs on end to regulate a chemo drug that may not work, that he may stroke because they will use his jugular vein for pulling off blood. This is no life for a kitty.

On Monday he had a breakthrough but it was controlled with remedies, and is ok now. He was not on CBD and it was suggested to restart it because he was on it before to help with seizure breakthroughs instead of higher phenobarbital so I am starting slow. DrHempDog is a full spectrum so I stopped rx hemp which is a broad spectrum to see how this works on him. On the rx he was also breaking through in the summer with the circling.

I must say without the confidence building from Holistic Actions I don’t know what I would be doing, I would not have a wonderful homeopathic doctor, like dr Judy and all the resources like Dr Basko and his nutrition plan and TCM.

Teddy’s BEAM is about 88%, some days 90%. Its energy and mood that is affected but he seems comfortable.

Any tips on raw meat storage after opening and can you feed directly without causing harm I have a low confidence level on because it’s new. I am using whole food combinations for nutrients and it’s tricky for cats. Thank you.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Freezing is unnecessary for Teddy IMHO JoAnn.

Brava for making the second choice for treatment!

Choosing holistic and homeopathic care over drug treatment often optimizes quality of life and happiness.

They do that by working with the body to conserve cellular energy, which is used to power cells.

Purring and stress are two opposites when it comes to conservation of energy.

Purring, play and positive emotions promote it, and stress consumes it.

When it comes to Teddy's care, I think the decision is easy.

Try to always build and preserve vitality and balance.

Any tips on raw meat storage after opening and can you feed directly without causing harm I have a low confidence level on because it’s new. I am using whole food combinations for nutrients and it’s tricky for cats.

Do you mean opening a bag of frozen raw meat?

JoannC

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you Dr Jeff for your comments. I truly believe this is what Teddy wants too! As for the meat I buy it, say raw organic chicken thighs. I then lightly steam it and Teddy after cooking will eat a few small pieces as a treat ( is this ok) , and then I refrigerate some and freeze the rest to take out as needed. The refrigerator meat only stays for about 2 days.

So is this a proper method to do, or do I need to freeze the meat for 3 days to kill any parasites or bacteria. I read once that this was a good idea and I don’t know why I am second guessing things now. Thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, that's OK as long as it doesn't contain any cooked bone.

JoannC

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you Dr Jeff. I am not using a premix any longer on meats but duplicating some of Dr baskos receipes and on some meals using canned Cornecupia with a topping of just meat. Since both guys get fed 4 x a day, at least 2 meals have a veggie steamed and nutritional yeast sprinkled in it with some fish oil.

So I think I am meeting their daily nutritional needs. Teddy is on a special supplement plan to combat the polycythemia including a Chinese herb and homeopathic remedy. Dr Basko feels the phenobarbital May be contributing to his polycythemia but he is having some breakthroughs despite all that he is on like head turning to left or right for about 25 sec, or a jolt will wake him up if sleeping. No one can figure out why.

So I will continue to do as I am and see where this new plan leads Teddy. Will be speaking with Dr Judy on Tuesday.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom