• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Skin condition

HealthyPet

VIP Member
Registered
My foster dog unfortunately came to me overweight ( which we are working on) and as a result her belly skin hangs a bit and has a fold in the middle. I work at keeping it clean and dry but noticed last night that right in the fold she has a red patch and it had a bit of a clear puss like substance on it .....

What would be the best way to treat this and since there is a fold there , how would I best prevent this from happening ?

1A712DA8-3469-46C4-A6EA-3F8E8A99BC31.jpeg

Dr. Sara

VIP Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Skin fold dermatitis is caused by chafing of skin against itself. This can occur in skin folds on the belly, around the vulva, or in the tail and skin folds of certain breeds. Gently clean the folds with mild soap and water, or an unscented baby wipe. You can just use a damp cloth if there is not much discharge or debris. Rinse or blot with plain water, then gently pat the area dry.

You want to help the area stay dry, and since the area has overlapping skin folds, it will be helpful to apply some powder. I prefer unscented cornstarch powder, as powders with talc are irritating. My favourite powder for these areas is WiseWays Calendula powder, as the Calendula herb is mildly antiseptic.

Do continue to work on weight loss, as the skin may tighten up a bit over time so the folds are no longer present.

HealthyPet

VIP Member
Registered
Thank you so much...I’ve been keeping it clean, but will definitely add the powder to keep it dry ...and yes weight loss is going to continue and I do hope the skin tightens a bit ?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for posting Jessica and Dr. Sara!?

Yes, clean, dry and weight loss.

Cornstarch (organic if possible) or zeolite powder for keeping the area dry.

Topical aloe vera + cayenne pepper to help soothe the spot if that is even still needed.

G

ginnyw

I'm thinking gentle massage, over time, might also restore skin integrity. I use rice flour for such things, as it has a slightly harder texture which seems to increase "slippiness". But I like the idea of calendula. Perhaps alternate a calendula salve for the nights with powder for the more active phases of the day.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Dermoscent essential oil spot is also great n support to help restore skin integrity and balance.

jsqueglia

VIP Member
Registered
Dr Jeff you recommended Dermoscent to me a year or so ago. It is awesome! It healed our Aussie's flaky, itchy , yeasty skin and was a great bridge to healing while his remedy worked and his vitality was improved with fresh/raw food. His skin has not been an issue since.

It is a pretty benign and a simple formula that WORKS! And it is not greasy. It may be a little oily when first applied but within24-48 hours it has absorbed into the skin and coat. It has a pleasant small. Not strong and it dissipates pretty quickly.
I also used it while he was on his remedy and did not find that it interfered with his remedy and it has not interfered with my remedy either like some essential oils will do.

I now use it on all my dogs especially during tick season. It is not labeled as a tick repellent but it definitely does make a difference and I think it supports the skin and helps heal the tick bites as well.
Just my observation.
We live in one of the heaviest areas for ticks. They are part of our life and I have made peace with the fact that we must live together. We pick ticks all day every day. I have used every herbal repellent known to man but now I rely on Dermoscent Essential 6 and a 50/50 vinegar spray.
We spray our yard with cedar oil twice a year but we are not sure it has done a bit of good reducing the tick numbers. We live in the woods. So will probably discontinue the cedar spray.
Sorry to ramble...
I have become so passionate about this product that I recommend it all the time. And it is really inexpensive. It is great for all skin issues! Definitely would use it on this pup.

Jackie

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wow, thanks Jackie!

Awesome that you have come to peace with the ticks and I appreciate hearing your glowing testimonial for the Dermoscent.

Maybe you could even write a review for it here (the review option doesn't appear until you log in as a prior customer).

lizkunz

VIP Member
Registered
I also love Dermoscent. Thank you for the reminder to use it. Also, I like your philosophy on ticks. I heard an recommendation once, to let your dog be a dog. I'm not sure we can do that if we are afraid of everything.

Carol L.

VIP Member
Registered
Hi, I got hopeful when reading about Dermoscent here. Went right to chewys to order. But in reading ingredients, I saw tea tree oil?
Isn’t that an antidote to homeo treatments? I’d like to try it on my dog, but I am working with remedies for her too. Is it ok to use tea tree also, or best to stay clear?

HealthyPet

VIP Member
Registered
i Have been using the powder ( calendula one and cornstarch ) and it is helping to keep it dry , but the area is still rather red

I will try the massage idea and also using the calendula salve at night and powder during the day ( thank you Ginny)

it seems as she loses weight the skin in this area is getting looser ....

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom