• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Short term change in BEAM after a laser therapy session

LilF

Community Member
Registered
My 15 year old male Shar Pei, JJ has been receiving Laser for a partially torn Cruciate Ligament for a couple months now and also to his back with spondylosis. He has exceeded my expectations for healing. He has multiple problems for which I am doing homeopathy and also supplements. HIs issues are irregular heartbeat (normal size heart and lungs), kidney issues, higher liver enzymes and some cognitive slowness. I am already working with many professionals locally and by phone. Here is the present conundrum that befuddles me. On monday he got his laser therapy which he has gotten for a couple months, at first twice a week and now once a week. On monday he came out of the clinic and I put him in the car and he was panting hard and fast, with dilated pupils and also vocalizing as if a short bark or like he was going to vomit. He was licking his car blanket very hard like I have never seen before which is why I thought he had upset stomach but he never vomited...I did not leave the clinic until I was certain he was ok. He did not vomit. I asked the clinic if he was given a treat or if there was anything sprayed by the landscapers outside recently and they said no to both questions. So this went on for a half hour with JJ until they said the doctor could take a look at him. She said that his temp was normal and his pupils were dilated and he had a fast heartbeat. She suggested it may be his heart and encouraged me to follow up with the rest of the cardiac eval that I decided to decline (that would involve echocardiogram and who knows what else). I felt that JJ was doing well and holding his own as I have attempted to keep him happy and lower his stress level, including fewer vet appointment. I do not think the sudden change was his heart. The vet tech who took him was a gentleman. This tech is rather robotic, stiff and makes no attempt to be mooshy with the dogs. He has a frownie face as if he does not like what he is doing. But those were my impressions. This tech took JJ one other time and I made a mental note last time that JJ panted in the car on the way home but not nearly as severe as this time.

So: other things that crossed my mind was that when JJ was brought outside there were landscapers blowing out a pothole and the smell of fumes from the blower were bad. I did not like them myself and I shuttled him in the car quickly. The clinic also seems to use plug in air fresheners which are enough to choke a horse and I have said nothing but i do wait outside for JJ (why would a vet clinic use these????!!!) I was going to request that one of the female techs work on JJ but not accuse the male of anything. JJ is doing so well and want his experience to be stress free as before. I discussed this with my homeopath and she thought that it was a fear reaction/anxiety. But WHY? Again, the male tech, even before any of this seemed problematic to me with his outside presentation and the "vibes " I was picking up. I do not want the vet when I talk to her to blame JJ's heart problem I just want to be scheduled with someone else. But it concerns me as to what JJ experienced to cause such fear or anxiety. As an aside they do not provide glasses as they said that since they are lasering his back and leg he isn't looking---is that safe or should I insist. He has had so many treatments already and he already has failing vision---. Should I mention the air fresheners? Should I ask to go in with JJ for his treatment? I don't want to be labeled a "problem" which is what I suppose can happen when we advocate for our dogs. I am REALLY trying hard to focus on the happiness and keeping stress at bay for JJ. He has made amazing progress (including not really getting worse). And BTW, I commend Dr. Jeff for probably the one suggestion to sit in the car back seat with JJ (JJ loves the car and lays in the car for hours every day), We do a lot of bonding during that time and he just loves loves loves me up close with him, talking, singing, petting him and healing him with intention. I always tell him how good he is doing.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for sharing another great post Lil!

I am super happy to hear about JJ's progress (in large part thanks to your advocacy, research and adoption of that Re-Growth mindset)! ❤️ :snowman:Good work!!

concerns me as to what JJ experienced to cause such fear or anxiety. As an aside they do not provide glasses as they said that since they are lasering his back and leg he isn't looking---is that safe or should I insist. He has had so many treatments already and he already has failing vision---. Should I mention the air fresheners? Should I ask to go in with JJ for his treatment? I don't want to be labeled a "problem" which is what I suppose can happen when we advocate for our dogs. I am REALLY trying hard to focus on the happiness and keeping stress at bay for JJ. He has made amazing progress

These are all important questions but as you said, it all boils down to doing whatever you can to optimize his BEAM/quality of life and happiness.

That being said, nature has given us a beautiful roadmap for doing just that. Amy Todisco will be discussing this a bit on Monday's webinar, and it is followed by all indigenous people around the world. The Maoris of NZ are just one example:

The idea is reflected in the Maori word ‘kaitiakitanga’, which means guarding and protecting the environment in order to respect the ancestors and secure the future.

BTW- The "environment" or terrain is both inside and out:

That easy to follow and intuitive roadmap is just that working with nature can help heal the planet, pets (and us).

Working against her (or the natural healing mechanisms of the body) does just the opposite and leads to depleted soils, needing to use strong chemicals (like glyphosate) that interfere with those natural functions, increasing use of anti-biotics (which is leading to antimicrobial resistance and MRSA) etc.

Sorry to get onto my soapbox, but I just got off the phone with a writer working on an article for AAHA (the organization which "accredits" vet hospitals) and I was a bit dis-eased by the conversation.

So back to JJ, yes, all of the things you mentioned need to be considered. And yes, yes, yes, the more you advocate for him the greater the chance of being labeled a problem client.

BTW-Have you seen this great (but mainly conventional) book:

The bottom line is how super important it is to evaluate his BEAM after any intervention. As you already know, even an immediate aggravation can be a good sign if it is followed (usually within a week) by improvement.

In this scenario, I'd agree that he either tasted or sniffed something that stimulated nausea and the symptoms you saw.

How's his BEAM now?

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Dr. Jeff, thank you for responding to all my questions and concerns. I must admit I minimized the importance of maybe the easiest of all interventions in the past, just sitting with my dog, singing to my dog, or just "doing nothing" which can be EVERYthing healing and more.
Sorry about your DIS-eased conversation :-( Sounds like time for some laugh therapy, Think that video from last week which was hilarious!!!!) I have some "Dis-eased" parts of MY day as you describe also, and that turbulence becomes even more noticeable as the calmer the waters become the rest of the day as a result of an attitude of greater mindfulness. Hope that makes sense. JJ has been amazing. I admire his "grit" in his gentle "packaging." When I had Gabby, JJ lived in her shadow. I admit I preferred her. This time when he is now the only dog gives him the chance to feel like a KING, instead of the prince. I try and search for a reason as to why a 15 year old dog seems to be improving. I can't wait to read some of the links. JJ is doing fine now. He was better a few hours after his laser as I sat in the car with him in the back seat. I waited 3 days to call the vet hospital, to let my emotions clear and my thinking so that I could communicate without negativity with the vet hospital on JJ's behalf--to reschedule his next appt with a girl vet tech on thursday. I put him on Darwins food by the way and he eats it daily with his supplements hidden in STEAK. I just checked Susan Thixton's list for another food to alternate with and had it delivered (Marty's Meals and Evermore). I hope this is ok. I don't want him to tire of the same food day after day. I am happy with my regimen for him and love love love the Dr. Dobias vitamin and mineral products to cover gaps. So that is how he is doing, a holding pattern is good at 15 and a few clicks of improvement too!!! I have learned more than I anticipated here. Dr. Jean Hovfe food talk was great the other day also, Exposing the YUCK of what is in the bag....

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
YW Lil. Thanks for making this awe-some post!

I especially love your use of "turbulent" (vs. laminar or smooth) flow in the context of the Happiness Protocol and Love Therapy actions you mention below:
sitting with my dog, singing to my dog, or just "doing nothing" which can be EVERYthing healing and more.
turbulence becomes even more noticeable as the calmer the waters become the rest of the day as a result of an attitude of greater mindfulness. Hope that makes sense. JJ has been amazing. I admire his "grit" in his gentle "packaging." When I had Gabby, JJ lived in her shadow. I admit I preferred her. This time when he is now the only dog gives him the chance to feel like a KING, instead of the prince. I try and search for a reason as to why a 15 year old dog seems to be improving. I can't wait to read some of the links. JJ is doing fine now. He was better a few hours after his laser as I sat in the car with him in the back seat. I waited 3 days to call the vet hospital, to let my emotions clear and my thinking so that I could communicate without negativity with the vet hospital on JJ's behalf--to reschedule his next appt with a girl vet tech on thursday. I put him on Darwins food by the way and he eats it daily with his supplements hidden in STEAK. I just checked Susan Thixton's list for another food to alternate with and had it delivered (Marty's Meals and Evermore). I hope this is ok. I don't want him to tire of the same food day after day.

river smooth.jpg

Mindfulness, singing, touching, talking with, and even just looking at JJ are actions that are healing for you both.

On a molecular level, they can all increase inter-cellular communication and "cohesion" (which is seen by smooth flow of energy and information).

On a physiologic level actions like loving him up, increasing his happiness, intention/prayer, etc. can help flow and improve the performance of JJ's body. That may help explain why he's doing so well.

One of the most dramatic examples of this happiness effect that I've seen was from someone on Instagram. There was a paralyzed dog who was about to be euthanized.

She brought him home and increased his happiness. Nothing else (no holistic or supportive food, supplements, etc.) was mentioned. He gradually improved and started walking and eventually running and playing with the other dogs.

It's an incredible privilege to work with animals who are able to heal so effectively because they don't let overthinking (or anxiety, depression, etc.) get in the way.

Unfortunately this is not as common for people because of our big brains.

Dr. Carol Dweck at Stanford researches a quality of mind called the "Growth" Mindset. In her excellent book "Mindset" she uses the example of Christopher Reeves' "miraculous" (physiological) improvement despite his injuries.

It's now well documented in science that things like our own "Age Belief" influences how long and well we live.

BTW-the opposite of a Growth Mindset is a mindset "fixed" by limiting beliefs (like from symptoms, dis-eases, and diagnoses). Our pets may not have these limitations, but we sure do (and may be creating turbulent flow and restricting their healing ability).

I think it may be helpful to adopt a re-Growth (and regeneration) mindset for our beloved companions.

river-okavango-delta-5158380_1280.jpg

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom