• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Seeking guidance for my dog

E

ECaron85

Hello All,
My name is Emily and I am new to the Holistic community. My 12.5yr old yorkie Gidget has just been diagnosed with Congestive heart failure, chronic kidney disease, and Cushings disease due to a large adrenal gland tumor. She also has hypertension. Let me start off by saying I know nothing about treating any of this and a month ago didn’t even realize she was so sick. She woke up one morning and had labored breathing so I rushed her to the emergency vet and now our whole life has changed. She is currently taking Pimobendan, Spironolactone, and Amlodipine for her heart and I have been giving her Milk thistle and Kidney support from Pet Wellbeing. She is also taking Mitotane for the Cushings which I feel sick about but didn’t really know of any other options. I have switched her food to Dr. Harvey’s Paradigm and I switch her protein every week. If anyone has any advice on supplements or medicines that may help heal her or help her wean off her current meds I would greatly appreciate any advice. I have copies of bloodwork if that would help. I’m all ears at this point because Gidget is my world and I don’t want to say goodbye yet.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Welcome Emily!

Gidget's one lucky pup to have you as her mom!

First and foremost, you absolutely should know that you do not need to say goodbye yet just because of her diagnoses.

It's her quality of life and the full context of her problems that is most important.

For example, how's her BEAM (Behavior, Energy, Appetite, Mood)?

Has she has other chronic issues like skin, urinary, stool, etc. problems in the past 12 years?

What if any treatments, medications, vaccinations, etc. has she had throughout life?

What did she eat for most of her life?

How did she do with the transition to Dr. Harvey's?

Does she get any other food or treats like fresh chicken, eggs, red meats, veggies, etc?

Have you discussed holistic or homeopathic options with your vets?

Do you work with a holistic vet or any other non-vet holistic healer like a Reiki practitioner?

How's Gidget's BEAM nowadays?

Dr. Jeff

PS-One quick win is to add raw chicken hearts to her diet (despite the diagnosis of kidney problem).

Speaking of which have you had a chance to watch, listen or read the kidney/cystitis and heart webinar-courses?

You'll find some other resources listed in them.

E

ECaron85

Thank you Jeff,
Gidget’s BEAM is great!! You wouldn’t even know she has all of this going on. She has been treated for Lyme with Doxycycline when she was 8. As for vaccines she’s had most of the routine ones, rabies, distemper, etc. She started to have a lot of accidents in the house about 4 years ago and my previous vet put her on Proin which she no longer takes since the treatment of Cushings has started. No skin issues. She has had a mild murmur since she was 6 but it wasn’t until I had switched vets this past year that I was told to get a echocardiogram on it, which she was scheduled to have until her trip to the ER occurred. She has mild cataracts which right before her emergency visit her eyes became extremely cloudy but have since become glossy again. She has been a very laid back dog almost all her life and unfortunately until recently she was fed kibble as I didn’t realize how bad it was for her. I do also give her Answers raw goats milk everyday along with Vetriscience cardio strength chews once a day. I give her green beans, Yellow squash, blueberries, and freeze dried turkey hearts for treats throughout the day. I feed her chicken, red meat, and egg whites on a weekly rotation with the dr. Harvey’s. She transitioned amazing to this food from the kibble and looks so much better since the change. My vet does have a holistic dr but she seems to think traditional medicine is gidgets best bet with all that she has going on. I’m sorry for such a dragged out response but I wanted to provide you with as much information as I could. Gidget’s beam has been great since she started her treatment. Thanks for your time!!

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
You are doing wonderful things for Gidget. Feeding fresh food is a big key, as you have already seen.

Definitely give no more vaccines and avoid all other toxins (flea, heartworm, house and yard).

You have encountered a common problem - many veterinarians have some holistic training, are new to it, or merely learned some to help with specific conditions. They have not yet learned that by using homeopathy or good TCVM (traditional Chinese veterinary medicine) any problem, even ones as serious as Gidget currently has, can completely resolve. This return to total health is possible, though not for every animal.

Most importantly, her BEAM is good and she is vital enough to show positive benefits from the fresh food. That is a great sign. Also, she has only been on the drugs a short time, so there is less chance of damage.

Therefore, I would suggest you decide if you want to work with a veterinary homeopath (they can help by phone if you are not close to one) or do TCVM. Dr. Jeff is willing to be the phone veterinarian for members (www.homevet.com)

Where do you live?

I would suggest a probiotic (review the slides from Monday 2/28 talk by Dr. Knueven). I second Dr. Jeff to get Reiki or HTA (healing touch for animals) treatments. You can even learn Reiki yourself and offer it every day, or more.

Keep posting your questions about holistic care, finding a veterinarian and how Gidget is doing.

Dr. Christina

E

ECaron85

You are doing wonderful things for Gidget. Feeding fresh food is a big key, as you have already seen.

Definitely give no more vaccines and avoid all other toxins (flea, heartworm, house and yard).

You have encountered a common problem - many veterinarians have some holistic training, are new to it, or merely learned some to help with specific conditions. They have not yet learned that by using homeopathy or good TCVM (traditional Chinese veterinary medicine) any problem, even ones as serious as Gidget currently has, can completely resolve. This return to total health is possible, though not for every animal.

Most importantly, her BEAM is good and she is vital enough to show positive benefits from the fresh food. That is a great sign. Also, she has only been on the drugs a short time, so there is less chance of damage.

Therefore, I would suggest you decide if you want to work with a veterinary homeopath (they can help by phone if you are not close to one) or do TCVM. Dr. Jeff is willing to be the phone veterinarian for members (www.homevet.com)

Where do you live?

I would suggest a probiotic (review the slides from Monday 2/28 talk by Dr. Knueven). I second Dr. Jeff to get Reiki or HTA (healing touch for animals) treatments. You can even learn Reiki yourself and offer it every day, or more.

Keep posting your questions about holistic care, finding a veterinarian and how Gidget is doing.

Dr. Christina

Thank you for your response, I live in Uncasville CT. Not sure of any local homeopath vets or tcvm but I will keep looking. Can you recommend a good probiotic to use?

E

ECaron85

Looking into probiotics now for Gidget, what are your thoughts on digestive enzymes with her kidney issues? Would it be beneficial to her to take those as well?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, and amino acids as in AminaAvast!

In addition, try adding in (to see how she responds) Nutrigest, Rx Zyme and Rx Biotic from Rx Vitamins.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Lots of great supplement suggestions, Dr. Jeff.
I would suggest starting one at a time and giving for a week before adding the next one.
And if under homeopathic treatment, do not start a new one at the same time as a new medicine is started.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Has Gidget continued to improve?

Did you ever need to connect with a homeopath? As a member you can work with Dr. Jeff and maybe you are doing that. I am seeing some old posts and wanted to follow up.

www.theAVH.org is a source of other homeopaths who will work by phone.

E

ECaron85

Hi Dr. Christina,
My dear sweet Gidget passed away March 6th. But thank you for your concern.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom