• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Raw foods

Carol L.

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi,
I know raw foods are best for our loves. I had been doing homemade, lightly cooked, steamed, puréed.
Possibly missed HA thoughts on what raw frozen diets are considered the best for dogs?
I know of Answers, Steve’s, Darwin’s.
Is one of these considered way better, or more reliable than the other?
Reading this morning, dr Peter Dobias’ thoughts on kidney health in dogs. Found it interesting, but conflicting with other info.
Thank you,
Carol

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Most importantly, Carol, remember that each animal thrives with different diets, so "it depends".

One of the problems with evaluating any food not prepared by you is that your just never know what is happening with the company. Right now Darwins and Answers are two that I like. I am not as sure of Steve's, but I have not reviewed it recently.

Dr. Christina

What does Dr. Dobias say?

Carol L.

All-Access Member
Registered
Dr Dobias,,,,,,myth that dogs with kidney disease need lower protein. Their bodies need protein, and cutting back actually compromises other body parts and body in general, making it harder for animal to deal with the disease.
When I prepare Emma’s food, I know the ingredients, but feel less confident that I’m getting in a balance of vitamins and minerals. With all her issues, I sort of wonder. And now with anemia. Been using(about 9 months?ago, when I first appeared)the very new product of Meal Mix by Mercola, Karen Becker. Again, new, not fully confident that this is the best ticket.
Had given Emma Answers way back. Lost interest when it was impossible to get communication with them. Maybe they are back to running full staff again.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, Dr. Dobias is correct that protein restriction is not indicated in early kidney failure.

However, if I recall correctly after our chat, Emma has a very high phosphorus level (as well as severe anemia but a normal creatinine).

Phosphorus is a direct kidney toxin though protein is not.

Unfortunately protein and phosphorus often go together in meats yet a high meat diet is the most species-appropriate for Emma.

You can start phosphorus binding even before she starts eating.

Amphojel works well, is OTC and readily available.

Have you repeated her bloodwork or done other testing?

The very best food for her right now is whatever she'll eat.

Once she starts eating, Darwin's kidney diet is great, but she may not like it.

Same is true for Answers (a great food that she may not eat).

Have you tried eggs, cheese, cat food, Bonito flakes, Wysong Dream Treats, etc.?

Have you had a chance to call around to see if you can find ozone therapy locally?

@Dr. Christina might know someone.

Carol L.

All-Access Member
Registered
Wow. Guess I’ve left out a lot lately. Emma homeo vet gave ars 30c morning of 11/27. She was in such distress, not eating, looking poorly, etc. which I now put to that anal gland pain. That was relieved for her evening of 11/27 along with first blood taken. Came back with high phos and low anemia. Emma has several pee accidents in her sleep for 2 days,Friday 11/30, 3 x ,,,urine very odd dark and unusual odor. Then Friday, 11/30, 5:30pm, emma eats like little horse, and has since. Urine became normal yellow and normal smell, and has since. All knock on good wood!

Second blood taken 12/2. Phosphorus came back smack in middle normal. Still early issue with kidney tho. Anemia still, but number better.

Phos LM1 given 12/4.

She is eating well. Darwin’s kidney diet and some home made here and there. Looks for treats. Skins look like heck. Scratching like heck.
Stools tricky, with some mucus and blood since phos, and then ok, and then small blood.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Fantastic Carol!

I'm so glad you repeated the bloods and got better news. :thumbsup:

Awe-some that she's eating well!:snowman:

Carol L.

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you Dr Jeff. The workings of bodies has been fascinating and distressing to say the least. And same with remedies! So grateful to have you and dr Christina, this HA group, and my dear dr W.
Committed and loving. ??☀️

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
:) ?:greyhound:

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom