• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Raw food for cat, what to consider for store bought

ElaineF

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello...my cat Dante, 2.5 yrs old, is just starting on raw store bought food. I have many questions. Some of these foods have alot of added ingredients, not just meat. Would it better to give him only raw food that is only meat, not all the extras (which are healthy foods, not chemicals). He has started on Primal Pronto rabbit, which he loves, so very expensive tho. What about raw freeze dried, would this be as beneficial as raw frozen? I cannot go the fresh raw meat route, semi vegetarian here.
Could you suggest brands you like the best? I have read through the threads and see that Primal, Answer are favs. What about Stella, Quest, PrimalCat?
Do cats need to be on any kind of supplement if we are feeding raw, or does the raw food take care of everything? Thank you

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Elaine.

Single ingredients foods make it easier to determine if a particular ingredient might be problematic. This is especially useful for learning more about IBD, skin allergies, etc.

However, that being said, the raw diet can increase his healing energy enough (raw food is highest in vitality and energy) that even if he is mildly sensitive, he may not even show it.

For example, I am allergic to dogs, cats, gluten, etc. However with my own vitality and energy boosting and balancing I am fine living with Archie (who is long-haired) and eating gluten.

Any rabbit food will be super expensive so perhaps check the price of other Primal foods. In this are, a brand called Oma's Pride is most affordable.

Stella's food is high pressure pasteurized, but I am not familiar with the other brands.

Perhaps your local vet in CO, or one of the other CO residents here in HA! can recommend a local and affordable food.

This is one of the raw food supplements that can be good to use with the raw diet:

Dr. Sue

Certified Veterinary Food Therapist
All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Hi Elaine,

Congratulations on moving Dante to a raw diet! I'm with Dr. Jeff on the healing and vitality potential of a well-sourced raw diet. I do like to see some veg in the diet - veg will provide nutrients for cell energy that meat alone can't provide. Cats in the wild do seek out grasses and will get some vegetation from the stomachs of their prey, so it is part of a biologically appropriate diet.

Brands that I like: Darwins, Primal, Answers, Nature's Logic, Steve's Real Food Quest to name a few. I look for a diet that is as organic as possible and without a lot of synthetic vitamins. You can choose proteins that aren't as expensive like beef and turkey and rotate them with rabbit or duck which are more expensive. It's good to rotate proteins and brands. I also like the freeze dried versions of these diets. Stella's is fine too, but it contains more synthetics and as Dr. Jeff mentioned is high pressure pasteurized.

A complete and balanced raw diet (make sure to check the label) should provide a high level of nutrients to the body without the need for supplementation - but it depends on individual cat. This is where I would reach out to your vet or to the vets like myself on the forum to help you in this regard.

ElaineF

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Dr Jeff and Dr Sue,
Great, this is helpful for me to expand my understanding!
I think we have found a solution! Dante was not fond of other Primal flavors, like turkey, and duck. I realized
he was just licking the food, leaving most of the meat. Got idea to blend in few nuggets of the Primal rabbit
w/the Primal chicken flavor and he is now totally chowing. All of Primal's ingredients look balanced, and are
organic except for the meats.

Good idea, will ask his vet about this brand and if she thinks he needs a supplement.

I hear you that it is good to rotate brands and proteins however so far he will only eat other flavors if I add
some rabbit. He's so funny.

Dr. Sue

Certified Veterinary Food Therapist
All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Good trouble shooting! Sometimes you need to get sneeky :) . Keep trying other flavors and brands - small amounts mixed with what he likes - and he will grow into more variety over time.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom