• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Rather sudden change in mood and behavior in a dog

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Hi and I am posting about my dog Gabby who had a presumptive diagnosis of PLE (Protein Losing Enteropathy) in January. She had low albumin and low protein. Since then diet and supplements has improved those factors. Last time I had her test end of April her albumin was holding at about 2.1 and the total protein was 4.5. Gabby is always happy and cooperative. So when things change it is noticeable. About 10 days ago she refused to go in the fence in the mornings to get morning sun like always and after dinner she doesn't want to go either . She mostly wants to come in and lay on the sofa. She does not seem her happy self. She eats well and seems to be a bit hungrier than usual---anxious for food, finishing the other dog's bowl. She does still like her walks and seems happier then. But I am concerned and have a blood draw scheduled friday. She will get the CBC and Chem panel. Is there anything else I should ask for? I was getting her tested every few months so it is time anyway. But I am worried because this is so not like her---always happy and willing to go in the fence (the fence spans the whole front yard so it allows for whatever she wants to do). I am so overwhelmed with the continual emergence of something else with these two dogs. The other dog(JJ that I posted about in the past) now has elevated liver enzymes on top of his other things . I want to do the homeopathy but my internet service is off more than on, the maintenance and cooking and preparing food takes too much time. I am efficient and fast but this all has become way too much even for me.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Is it possible something out there frightened her? Loud noise, something in the street, the odor of a wild animal gone by? Happier with you, or wanting to be alone? Crabby or snippy with JJ? Are you sending any bad vibes about being overworked, having to fuss about their food, etc?

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Yes, I am sure I am sending those things out. I took her for a couple walks today. She seems to smile and enjoy the walks and car rides. She is a bit better toward the end of the day after her walk. Her poop, pee and eating is good. She doesn't scare easily so I doubt anything scared her in the fence. She is very confident. She does seem to walk a bit slower. I talked to the vet and I will get in a day earlier for her blood work. I should have the results on friday. Now my AC broke--what ELSE can go wrong. My oven door fell off, just like that, and they said that you cannot get one for 2-3 months. I am supposed to cook her food slowly in the oven along with the eggshells for her calcium. I bought a countertop one that comes tomorrow but places were out of those too... What is going on....The electricians cannot come out for 6 weeks for other things. My internet is always out for hours a day and I am stressed because I cannot do things I need to do for the dogs when there is no internet. I always tell her: "Gabby I got old before you did" and can't do all the exercise she wants to do. I always worry these things breaking and needing my attention will get in the way of their quality of life. I try not to let it which frazzles me on both ends. I do know I do not want any more dogs... too stressful with all the decisions, the medical management, the food preparation, the expenses for them are astronomical. If I had a local holistic vet I would but there are none around here. So this is it for me.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Oh no Lil, I'm so sorry to hear about everything that's going on.

You mentioned that getting Gabby out for walks can be physically difficult for you.

How about frequent short walks to let her sniff (not necessarily walk too far based on your preference)? It sounds like she loves them and are really good for both of you.

It gives her a chance to connect and engage with the environment and it gives you a chance to breathe fresh air and experience the awe of the natural world around us.

Just experiencing the feelings of awe and gratitude (to the universe and to our bodies for doing their jobs) is super healing.

Perhaps take a walk or drive to a nearby park to breathe deeply, try to quiet your mind and let her sniff around and be happy when the internet goes out.

Fantastic that you are getting Gabby in for a vet visit today! Please let us know if they find anything.

All of the little challenges, like the oven door falling off, all add up for sure. But they are kind of like abnormal symptoms which are clues that you may want to change something.

In dogs that often entails letting nature take the lead and just following along. Human animals are really good at getting in the way of nature and intervening (when we shouldn't). My own experience is that those interventions can sometimes do more harm than good.

This is easy to do in a young pup, but gets harder as they age. Regardless, the same principles apply. Doing less is often more!

There's lots of good evidence that the smooth flow of information (and energy) is critical to wellness and a pet's quality of life.

The human studies of long-lived vital people living in "Blue Zones" and patients with "spontaneous" remission of cancer all point to 3 factors that are all about Chi (and the smooth flow of the life force).

These factors are under your control, and all come down to CHE (Connection, Happiness, Engagement).

That's why the Therapeutic Sniff Walk and snuffle mat work so well.

All this is a long-winded way to say that your current focus probably should be with keeping Gabby as happy as possible while your vet rules out physical stuff.

Here are some suggestions:

happiness protocol.jpg

Please let us know what your vet and the tests say.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Great reply, Dr. Jeff.

I would add that dogs int he wild did not have ovens, and dogs for centuries ate our scraps. Relax and just find one or two things (or more) each day to appreciate, be grateful for and know that each of us is on our own path and we cannot make a "perfect" decision for ourselves or our pets.

A great book about finding joy in very bad circumstances (when your internet is up for a bit or call a local bookstore to deliver) is The Book of Joy. Bishop Desmond Tutu and the Dalai Lama spend a week being interviewed on this. So inspirational.

Dr. Christina

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Yep. My instinct would be to simplify their diets. Feed fresh raw foods, don't worry about a zillion supplements and presentations for a while. I feel there would be nothing wrong or lacking in just feeding a limited ingredient diet for a while - raw. Catch your breath, get the bloodwork, and realize there is nothing better to do for both of them than to feed them simply and prototypically. None of us, dogs or humans, are meant to eat in complicated ways that can confuse the body's systems. Give yourselves some rest!

LilF

Community Member
Registered
@Dr. Jeff @Dr. Christina Thank you both for your thoughts. I have not been able to post for a while with bad internet service. But Gabby, my 14 year old Shar Pei mix with the Protein Losing Enteropathy(PLE) still has concerning mood. I had her blood done last week and I was so ecstatic. I had been watching her Albumin and Total Protein. Her Albumin is now almost normal at 2.6 and same with her Total Protein at 5.3... this all is a HUGE improvement since January and a huge improvement even since beginning of May. Her BUN was higher at 46 . Her Platelets were 113 but was told not to be concerned. So her blood was just about perfect. Vet also did an exam and found nothing wrong. So WHY does she just seem depressed. Another significant thing as I mentioned before was she was adamant to NOT go into the fence after lunch or first thing in the morning. She has done this since I got her at 2. She is ALWAYS cooperative but with regard to this she is adamant and resists. This is significant and a great deviation from her normal. She seems better after a walk late in the afternoon but I do believe there is something amiss. She has been bored before but now she just jumps on and sleeps on the sofa, not even looking much out the window. End of June the holistic vet gave her the usual shot of zeel and traumeel but added solidago. I noticed she was not happy after that but seemed ok until the mid July and the stuff I mentioned became prominent. I wonder too, she has been on glutamine for her gut problem which I feel has been major in her recovery of her albumin and protein levels. She still gets it, a total of about 9000 mg a day. Can this cause a brain tumor. I DO know that glutamine is ill advised if a dog HAS a brain tumor as it can cause it to grow. I just wonder since she has been on it for so long can it affect her brain? I do not know where to go with her now with food and supplements that her levels are almost normal . I hate to take the chance to change anything. Again, in all the years, Gabby is ALWAYS happy. What other tests do I need . I can certainly do the happiness stuff but it is not changing anything overall, She does enjoy walks and rides. What else should I test for? Sorry so long, maybe should have posted earlier in parts but my internet has been mostly off. Thanks for your input.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom