• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Questions about treating a cat colony

A

Ardella

I have many questions but I'll start with the two most pressing:

1) I need suggestions for the most economical, yet best, way to feed them. I don't have time to fix a lot of homemade food for them: I am literally drowning in work all the time--planning and getting the gardens ready plus planting, fixing up the house, trying to get a little bit of editing done, taking care of these cats.... We don't buy the cheapest cat food on the market at all, but I know that even the best kibble and canned food isn't as good as it should be. We add brewer's yeast and lysine and sometimes Vt. E to the garage cats' food. I buy human grade chicken (though not organic, unfortunately) and boil it as well to add to their food frequently, as well as broth.

2) I need suggestions for ways to treat their ailments homeopathically. Standard vets always apply antibiotics, and I use them, but they aren't always working. The three biggest problems we deal with habitually are 1) respiratory infections, 2) eye infections, and 3) diarrhea. Obviously, the cats are all different, but for the many that we can touch, they are the sweetest tempered cats in the world--friendly and companionable and loving, and wanting attention and love. There are just a few that are extremely nervous and difficult to touch or catch.

On that note, one of the most nervous cats is our own 12-year-old, one of the cats we brought with us to the farm. Her name is Nellie, and she is very intense emotionally. I think she has Russian Blue in her blood line because she has the body shape and the voice of a Russian Blue. Her full name is Nellie Gray, but we could have named her Nellie because she is a nervous Nellie, as they say! She has developed an almost chronic upper respiratory infection that makes her cough as well; her energy level is low. She is also allergic to fleas and develops bad flea dermatitis unless we keep a flea collar on her--the (sort of) homeopathic vet we took one of our cats to said to use Seresto collars as the least objectionable of the effective treatments. I suspect her of having developed a low-level UTI, as she's been vocalizing very loud, and her litter box habits have deterioriated. Despite her freakiness, though, she loves deeply, and she's very attached to me. She sleeps on me at night and has an intense need for affection from me.

We also have a kitten right now (about 9 mo. old) who appears to be suffering from FIP. I have been using some remedies to alleviate his symptoms as much as possible: Pulsatilla, Belladonna, and Apis. He had a very bad seizure last night. Is there anything I should be giving him for seizures? He went blind a few weeks back, so if there's anything to help his eyes, I'd appreciate knowing about that, too.

I'm sure that's enough information for now. Any advice/suggestions, etc. much appreciated. I wish very much to study homeopathic treatment deeply for both animals and people, but I don't have time for it right now with my very heavy work load.

Thank you--I'm really glad to be a member of this forum, and I hope to gain much good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Bless you for all you are doing, Ardella, and for posting here on the forum. How did you hear about Holistic Actions?

First, a quick time saver. There is no need to cook the chicken. Just put out chicken legs, wings, backs, necks.

Second a money saver: you are living in a prime hunting area. Contact a butcher the hunters use and see if they can sell you (often just for the cost of butchering) bags of two to four inch chunks of left over meat and especially organs if any come in (usually hunters leave the innards). If you know a hunter who is willing to bring in the innards that the butcher can chunk for you - that is great.

It also may be worth your time to create a go fund me page.

What town are you living in?

More later, Dr. Christina

A

Ardella

Hello, Dr. Christina, and thanks for answering! I don't remember how I heard about Holistic Actions--I was probably doing one of my many Internet searches for remedies/answers.

That's a good idea about butchers. I'll pursue that when I have some time.

I did think about starting a farm blog--I can't remember if I mentioned that we are trying to start a small market garden with plants and food raised sans pesticides and chemical fertilizers to sell at the local farmers' markets--and putting a "Donate" button for helping to support the cat colony. I don't know if I'm very comfortable with a straight-out Gofundme page... lol. I don't like asking people for money.

I live in Washington, PA. Do you know, hunting is dying out, even around here. The gun store owners locally say that business for hunting rifles is not very good. This surprises me somewhat. Apparently the younger generation is not taking it up.

The garage kittens (there are about 15) have developed diarrhea. I think it's giardia--we had one sample tested. Would veratrum album be good to try? I need to think of something fast.

Thanks again,
Ardella

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
I asked Dr. Knueven, an excellent holistic vet who is 50 miles north of you about anyone holistic near you and he did not know of any.

For the kittens, to decide on the homeopathic medicine - a few questions
What is the stool like?
Odor, consistency, any undigested food in it? How frequent (I know that would be a guess).
How are their behavior/personality - any changes?
Any changes in heat or cold seeking?
Any vomiting along with it?

Start now with some marshmallow root or slippery elm in their food, some probiotic (or answer's goat milk or local raw goat's milk.

A

Ardella

I have some slippery elm tablets--I'm assuming just crush those and mix in with the food? The kittens are really small and are barely eating solid food. I think my husband may have been giving them some probiotic in kitten formula milk. I am not sure where I could get goats' milk locally--I would have to ask around.

The stool varies. With one of them, it's greenish and watery. The smaller ones have little white poop, kind of curdy, probably because they're not eating much. A few days ago I saw some yellowish, partly formed poop, but it was still pretty loose. One of them, the smallest and weakest, died last night. They appear to be going very frequently and their butts are always dirty. They're whiny and cry quite a bit. When I see them running around, some of them look a little hunched, like maybe their stomachs hurt. I don't know about the heat/cold seeking. They're big enough to go outside in the sunshine, and they do like to do that when it's sunny, as it was today. On sunny days, it's now very warm in the garage. My husband is the one who most often feeds the cats that live in the garage, and he says he hasn't seen any of them vomiting.

I took a sample in to a local vet yesterday, and there were no worms and no giardia. I was surprised about the latter.

Thanks for the tips. I really appreciate it.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Welcome Ardella!

Thanks for the great questions and your wonderful work with the ferals.

1. Regarding food. Canned is always better than dry. Even the junkiest canned food.

Mix in 25% fresh food whenever you're able.

2. In addition to Dr. Christina's great suggestions, you might want to learn how and start using the 4 Awe-some A acute homeopathic medicines:

Aconite (Aconitum nappelus)
Apis
Arnica
Arsenicum album

These can help you resolve many of the acute symptoms of imbalance that you described.

For chronic problems like Nellie's, it best to work with an experienced practitioner as well as your vet .

Maybe even consult (often by phone/Skype) with a long-distance vet homeopath.

Click/tap here (after you log in at holisticactions.com/login ) for the Empower Hour! webinar and report about the 4 Awe-some As.

I'd also suggest that you connect with @robinafolson who founded and runs:

Robin also is keeper of the in progress document about cat shelter care which I had with Dr. Andrea Tasi, a vet homeopath with a special interest in cats who has lots of great tips for her rescue kitty clients (and you).

I look forward to meeting you one Monday night soon.
I look forward

A

Ardella

Thank you very much, Dr. Jeff. Of those 4-A remedies you mention, I believe I have everything except the Arnica.

I will check out all these sources. I should provide an update on the kittens with diarrhea. I dosed them twice with Veratrum Album, and we mixed some probiotics into their food. My husband says they're doing much better, and it appears that only one or two of them died.

Do you have a homeopathic vet to recommend (for consulting with long-distance)? I wasn't sure if any of the vets at HA do that kind of thing or not. I am up for doing that for Nellie. I'd really like to see her get better. She seems to have several issues, so I'm thinking maybe she's just reached a level of toxicity that she can't handle.

Thanks again,
Ardella

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great news Ardella that the kittens are doing better.?

I'm sorry to hear however that 2 of them died:(

Regarding 1:1 individualizing and treatment for Nellie, there are several of us that will work along with you and your local vet.

You can find a listing at www.theavh.org

Filter the results by telephone consulting.

In addition, I am working individually with some HA! members.

If you would like to chat a bit about this, please first submit this initial info:

Have a great day!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom