• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Primal Pet Food sold

SusanI

All-Access Member
Registered

Uh-oh, I don’t know if this is a good thing. I already had to switch my dog over from Answers to Primal (with a brief stopover to Small Batch, which didn’t agree with him at all) My dog has had on and off mucusy stool since early July but only when the heat index was over 90. It was normal other times so hard to blame the food for that. And since he’s been on Primal, he has pretty much stopped trying to eat asphalt which is a good thing. I don’t know what this means in the long run. The founder is still the chief product officer. There are just not many other options available to me here. Many other brands use HPP (well, Primal does too but not for the beef) and synthetic vitamins and I steer clear of that.

is anyone else feeding Primal and noticing any difference? I’ve fed my dog the freeze dried as a smaller third meal for a long time. I only just started doing the frozen raw in June.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Can't speak to Primal, but there is a basic principle here: If one feeds variety, and that being made up of whole pieces of various animals, perhaps interspersed with some ground products which offer nutrition not otherwise available - like organs, tripe, and other "messy" foods, all of the need to be concerned about additions and "ingredients" becomes a non-issue. Meat as food is nutritionally complete, texturally appropriate, infinitely variable, challenging and interesting, and FUN for your animals to eat. There is no question they get bored on the same meals, and mealtime is a great time to add happiness: "Oooh, what'll we get tonight???" Balance over time is the best balance. And giving them food at which they have to work beats heck out of snuffle mats and tricky bowls...

Think about how you would like to eat...

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Can't speak to Primal, but there is a basic principle here: If one feeds variety, and that being made up of whole pieces of various animals, perhaps interspersed with some ground products which offer nutrition not otherwise available - like organs, tripe, and other "messy" foods, all of the need to be concerned about additions and "ingredients" becomes a non-issue. Meat as food is nutritionally complete, texturally appropriate, infinitely variable, challenging and interesting, and FUN for your animals to eat. There is no question they get bored on the same meals, and mealtime is a great time to add happiness: "Oooh, what'll we get tonight???" Balance over time is the best balance. And giving them food at which they have to work beats heck out of snuffle mats and tricky bowls...

Think about how you would like to eat...

Uh-oh, I don’t know if this is a good thing. I already had to switch my dog over from Answers to Primal (with a brief stopover to Small Batch, which didn’t agree with him at all) My dog has had on and off mucusy stool since early July but only when the heat index was over 90. It was normal other times so hard to blame the food for that. And since he’s been on Primal, he has pretty much stopped trying to eat asphalt which is a good thing. I don’t know what this means in the long run. The founder is still the chief product officer. There are just not many other options available to me here. Many other brands use HPP (well, Primal does too but not for the beef) and synthetic vitamins and I steer clear of that.

is anyone else feeding Primal and noticing any difference? I’ve fed my dog the freeze dried as a smaller third meal for a long time. I only just started doing the frozen raw in June.
I have fed Primal to my dogs for many years. This past year, the one dog who can still eat raw switched to Steve's. I switched from Primal when I saw they were not on Susan Thixton's list. Someone told me Steves was not HPP but the list says it IS. So what food can I feed that is not HPP. I think I tried Answers and it was during a time when my dog's protein was declining and it made me think maybe the protein in Answers was not available. Maybe that is a faulty assumption and I am open to that. But thought the other dog's blood protein declined as well. I worry when these corporate changes occur. When the store was out of Steve's I tried Northwest Naturals and my dog threw up after few days. He has not thrown up in a very long time. Maybe coincidence. But leads me to ask about variety amongst brands and do you have to do the gradual switch lets say beef from one brand to beef in another brand. What brand can we get that is not HPP. Disappointed Steve's is because my dog likes it and is otherwise doing well on it

I

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom