• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Post Surgery Antibiotics

RobinO

All-Access Member
Registered
Yesterday, my rescue kitty, Pistachio had surgery to remove his testicles. They were in his abdomen, in an odd location (according to the surgeon). They were both very big (supposedly unusual that this happens) and the surgery took an hour.

Pistachio was given buprenex last night and today and they also want him on clavamox for 2 weeks. He's agitated, not eating, crying, depressed. He's in a dog crate in a quiet room, away from his sister, just so he can recover for a few days. I don't want him to hide where I can't get at him in case I do need to give him the meds.

I tried to give him Arnica last night in some food but he wouldn't eat it.

I don't know if I should give him the clavamox. I haven't seen his abdomen yet, but I was told he has two layers of stitches-one internal and one external, so I'm guessing this was a pretty serious opening and maybe it would be warranted to give him the clavamox? Or is there homeopathy I can give him instead? If so, dose more than once?

Thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Robin, sorry for the slow reply!

We discussed your question during this week's EH!, but I just wanted to reiterate for others.

There's no indication for anti-biotics after a sterile surgery.

We also discussed your using Staphysagria due to his extreme skittishness after surgery.

Were you able to get a dose or two into him?

Regardless, how's he doing now?

Thanks for working with his body and avoiding "antis".

RobinO

All-Access Member
Registered
Pistachio isn't on antibiotics. I'm hoping to get hold of him to look at his surgery incision. May take team work to do that, or I will just wait until Friday when we have our re-check with the vet who did the surgery. He's eating well and decent BEAM so I think he's ok for now.

I did give him a dose of Staphysagria into him. He's generally more relaxed, but I only see him from afar. He's still afraid of me so I'll try another dose.

Thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes!

You could also try am/pm Staphy. doses to improve his balance and improve his skittishness even further.

Hopefully then he'll let you look at his incision by early next week.

Let us know.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
This is a great time to use flower essences as they will never interfere with homeopathic treatment and you can try different ones.

Start with rescue remedy for several weeks - use it a lot. In a separate bowl of water (1 drop), a drop on the bedding or area in which he spends a lot of time, put 4 drops in an ounce of water and put a few drops of that in every meal.

If that does not help, you could look at www.spiritessences.com or anaflora.com as they have specific feral cat/rescue cat/new to the house essences.

Dr. C

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom