• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Poor Immune System

catdoc

Community Member
Registered
Well, I may have taken on more than I can chew, but this is the situation. A baby female kitty, age 3 months has a very severe immune response to plants and vegetation in her current environment. She has been at the vet clinic for the past several weeks off and on as her skin condition becomes worse. The skin around her face eyes and ears has become very red, inflamed and incredibly itchy. The skin on her face was very red and of course bloody as she scratched and scratched. I suggested a daily bath 3-4 times per day with a solution of Mother Tincture of Calendula in purified water, which of course has helped, but she is on some heavy-duty drugs.

- Prednisone 2.5 mg once a day
-Clamoxim suspension .4 ml each 12 hours
- Othflex for the inside of her ears every 24 hrs
- Triz EDTA to clean the exposed part of the ear once a day
- Barmicil, cream, to apply to her face and ears in the red areas each eight hours
-Apoquel 1/4 of a 3.6 mg tablet once a day for 14 days

That is a lot of drugs for a 3 month old kitty. Already the prednisone is having side effects as this little kitty has significant truncal weight gain.
The best thing happening is the fact I have been bathing her face, eyes and ears with a solution of Mother Tincture of Calendula and purified water. This has been the treatment that has worked the best and has produced the best results.

The clinic took three skin biopsies and she has three major issues all dealing with an autoimmune response. The vet believes it is an immune response to plants that were in her environment at her owner's place. I agreed to take her on to see if I can make her better using more natural treatments. I am wondering about what vaccines she has had up to this point as I would like to find out the trigger for her immune disorder, whether it be previous vaccines or current environment.

My concern is the prednisone she is on and how I can ween her off this and how I can reduce the other meds she is on. I am having trouble repertorizing her case to find a good Homeopathic remedy for her. She is extremely affectionate and all she wants to do is be in my arms and cuddle. I wish I could give her the amount of attention and love I know she needs.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Calendula is wonderful, for sure!! Great example of its potential.
You are doing wonderful work to help this kitty!

To help you wean off all these drugs, and to work through different remedies (loving attention is very normal for young kitties) it may be good to work with a veterinary homeopath.
Dr. Christina

catdoc

Community Member
Registered
I so agree with you Dr Christina, however, Homeopath Vets here in Merida are more scarce than hens' teeth! With the sage help offered by the Holistic Actions folks, perhaps I can find the right remedy for her to help her along her healing path.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Many veterinary homeopaths work by phone/skype around the world. www.theAVH.org Dr. Judy Herman, Dr. Adriana Sagrera, Dr. Christine Barrett, Dr. Stephanie Chalmers, Dr. Todd Cooney, for a few.

And yes, HA folks may help find the remedy, then you can carefully evaluate when changes need to be made. Weaning off drugs while giving remedies can be a balancing act. You have control of all the drugs now, right?

Dr. Christina

catdoc

Community Member
Registered
Hi Dr C. yes, I do have control of all the drugs right now. I am just very unsure of how I can ween her off the drugs, and hopefully, find the right remedy for her.

catdoc

Community Member
Registered
I am going into unchartered waters for me, as I feel I do not have a complete grasp of the situation here. I am lacking some information from the vet as to the nature of her skin disorder, but not knowing this may be better as I can see how she exhibits the symptoms of her current problem. I am hoping her imbalance is showing primarily in her skin condition and has not gone deeper as yet.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom