• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Pharmacokinetics of cannabidiol administered by 3 delivery methods at 2 different dosages to healthy dogs

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Interesting read !

@Dr. Jeff - If I recalled correctly, ElleVet mentioned on Webinar that ingesting (putting CBD in food) is the best and effective method of delivery. Can you show them this article?

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I just started my dog on Ellevet orally. The taste must be terrible. I was giving him RX vitamins on a treat and he would accept it. But he does not accept a treat with this new oil. I have to put it in his mouth and then give him a broth or something to get the taste out of his mouth. Is the article saying it is best in food? Doesn't it get lost in the digesta? Now I am confused. Is it SAFE orally? The company is sending me capsules to put it in.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for the article, Christine. I'll definitely show it to Ellevet.

How about using the chewable Ellevet version Lil?

I've not tasted their oil yet but Hemp Rx (which is the CBD I have used for years and have tasted) has a very mild taste. I guess Ellevet doesn't.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Thanks for the article, Christine. I'll definitely show it to Ellevet.

How about using the chewable Ellevet version Lil?

I've not tasted their oil yet but Hemp Rx (which is the CBD I have used for years and have tasted) has a very mild taste. I guess Ellevet doesn't.
Dr. Jeff, I guess I should consider them but he has bad teeth, really bad from his prior life. Bad as far as broken etc... but I do brush them! I will use up the bottle I have, they are sending me the caps. He is a good boy. I know he doesn't like the taste but I give him something tasty afterwards...best I can do for now I guess. I will say their customer support is very good answering all my questions quickly.

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi @LilF - the smell and taste of ElleVet oil is strong for sure. I hide the oil (o.1mL) in blended raw meat...like a small meat ball. Sometimes I rub just a tiny bit on Hope's gums.

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello @LilF - Just wanted to share another trick I found of getting ElleVet into Hope is adding it to freeze dried treats. If the smell is still too strong, I would cut the treat in half, add ElleVet in the center, then smoosh them together then cover it with more freeze-dried sprinkle. Hope this helps!

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Hey @ChristineL That sounds like a great idea!! Usually he eats ANYTHING. I appreciate the tips that work with Hope. How is she doing on it and what are you using it for? JJ has spondylosis.

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi @LilF - Hope's doing pretty good on it. We rescued her in January and she walked with pretty serious limps but not anymore! We're giving it to her for that and overall health/vitality :) I have always been a fan of CBD oils for pups and myself. I am pretty certain ElleVet will help JJ with spondylosis.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
@ChristineL Hi Christine---read about Hope's dental....glad things went well. I had a dog who lost 7 teeth and I was traumatized by the loss!!! Cannot imagine the adjustment you have... But health is a good trade off. I am reaching out because you used the Ellevet on Hope. How old is Hope? I did not see an improvement with JJ (14 years but seems older) after using it for about 10 days at the recommended dosage. He even seemed spaced out. How long did you use it before you noticed an improvement. It did not help JJ's limping. I started using collagen and that seems to be doing more than the CBD. Someone said the other day, he seems to be walking better, but not from the CBD that I stopped several weeks ago, maybe a month ago.

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello @LilF Thank you for checking on Hope :) Yes, 27 teeth ...oh boy. She is much happier now .. I'm pretty certain she was in a lot of pain.

We don't know Hope's exact age but we think she's around 11 years old. I think giving her ElleVet, in addition to other modalities like Assisi pad and essential oils are helping Hope with her limping. Just this morning, Hope walked down the stairs herself (which I don't let her do usually because one of her forearms is crooked :confused:) then I noticed it was harder for her to get up and she limped a bit more than usual. So in her first meal, I added ElleVet to her food then put her on Assisi pad lounge..then rubbed AnimalEO's New Mobility afterwards. She seemed fine afterwards. [She's doing snuffle mat right now]

I'm so sorry to hear you're not seeing improvement in JJ ... how much do you give JJ per day? Based on my experience, if my dog seems spaced out, I would give less. Before ElleVet, Hope was on CBD Dog Health's CBD Tincture HEAL and it worked well (but I had to give more and it does not contained CBDa). I had also spoke with Angela of CBD Dog Health personally and she explained to me that dosing based on weight is the general guidelines .. and that the actual dosage greatly depends on the needs of the dog, not by weight. You can find good info here: Dosing - CBD Dog Health I think that makes sense....

Oh before Hope's dental extractions, she was getting green lipped mussel every day (All About Green Lipped Mussels — Soul'y Raw Specialty Pet Food) - I'm checking with the vet this Thursday to see if Hope can chew on these w/o any teeth!

Do you do Assisi Pad (it's wonderful!) and/or the LED light therapy on JJ? I don't have the LED light .. yet but I think when I am able, I will get it for Hope to try too.

Please keep us updated on JJ!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom