• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

One copy of variant for Alanine Aminotransferase Activity

DanielleDL

All-Access Member
Registered
Bobby's Embark DNA results came back today for his health, and he has one copy of the variant they tested for ALT and said that Bobby's baseline ALT might be Low Normal. Here's their description of why this is important:

"Bobby has one copy of a variant associated with reduced ALT activity as measured on veterinary blood chemistry panels. Please inform your veterinarian that Bobby has this genotype, as ALT is often used as an indicator of liver health and Bobby is likely to have a lower than average resting ALT activity. As such, an increase in Bobby’s ALT activity could be evidence of liver damage, even if it is within normal limits by standard ALT reference ranges."

Is there anything we should be doing to support Bobby besides keeping an eye on his future ALT results? Maybe get a baseline for him now?

He also had one variant for Degenerative Myelopathy, but they said this was more an issue for Bobby's siblings and relatives, but not Bobby.

Other than that, his DNA in regards to health is pretty sound. Just waiting for the breed results now.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Fantastic that you had an Embark evaluation for Bobby!:snowman:?

No worries about the genetic findings. As you wrote, yes get a baseline (CBC/chemistry/urinalysis) and then follow the annual trends until he is about 6 years young.

At that point you may want to consider semi-annual blood wellness screening.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Bobby's Embark DNA results came back today for his health, and he has one copy of the variant they tested for ALT and said that Bobby's baseline ALT might be Low Normal. Here's their description of why this is important:

"Bobby has one copy of a variant associated with reduced ALT activity as measured on veterinary blood chemistry panels. Please inform your veterinarian that Bobby has this genotype, as ALT is often used as an indicator of liver health and Bobby is likely to have a lower than average resting ALT activity. As such, an increase in Bobby’s ALT activity could be evidence of liver damage, even if it is within normal limits by standard ALT reference ranges."

Is there anything we should be doing to support Bobby besides keeping an eye on his future ALT results? Maybe get a baseline for him now?

He also had one variant for Degenerative Myelopathy, but they said this was more an issue for Bobby's siblings and relatives, but not Bobby.

Other than that, his DNA in regards to health is pretty sound. Just waiting for the breed results now.
A doctor told me once that our genes are in the closet but environment opens the door, i.e. epigenetics. I think, believe it is the same for dogs. Clean food, organs, species appropriate, avoidance of unnecessary vaccines and pesticides, lawn chemicals etc.... and maybe periodic liver detoxification, I thought I recently heard that environment was more a predominant cause of cancers etc... So not to get too hung up on genetics. Maybe implications for any surgeries? Homeopathy to correct imbalances early.. My Shar Pei dog recently died of hemangiosarcoma but her breed was never listed as high risk. On the other hand. I have a good friend who runs a golden retriever rescue in PA for decades and I believe he had one dog who died from it ( I tell him he should contact the Morris Foundation for them to review what he does---all his Goldens live to about 16 which is incredible, but Goldens seem to be a breed that is genetically predispositioned to hemangiosarcoma. Shar Pei's genetically tend to get Shar Pei fever but mine never did, So I guess I am saying support the tendency per your genetic findings with environmental countermeasures that we know about, the food, avoidance of EMF's etc... to try to keep those genes from turning on. Oh one more thing.... I have heard from another vet that kale turns OFF the gene that turns ON liver cancer. I never forgot that and feed my dogs kale a couple times a week.

DanielleDL

All-Access Member
Registered
A doctor told me once that our genes are in the closet but environment opens the door, i.e. epigenetics.
Absolutely! I've done a decent amount of work with my own epigenetics (fascinating stuff!) and my strategy is simple: (1) control the environment as best you can (and realize that you can only do so much), and (2) try to make your body as efficient at removing toxins as possible (and realize that you can only do so much). Same goes for Bobby. Just knowing that we should monitor his ALT is so helpful. Fun fact: I have a genetic variant that makes my body less able to break down B12 from food, so I have to supplement with methylated B12. My poor mother is about 7 years into dementia ("probably" Alzheimer's, but we've done no real testing), so I wonder how much, if any, of her horrible condition is attributed to a lifetime of B12 deficiency.

TLDR: Yes, totally agree. Genetics aren't the rule, just the guide. And I'd love to find out what your friend's secret is with his Goldens! That's awesome!

Thanks for your input! :D

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom