• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Need help now for sudden mood change

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Do these crises one after another just find me all the time. This has been what is happening before I handle one there is another. Gabby and JJ both 14 Shar Pei mixes just had some sort of virus. JJ seems fine and eating again . Gabby got the virus from him a few days later and was fine and eating yesterday and today. I walked her this evening and she was fine. She even wanted to go longer than I did. I made her dinner and she just kind of acted like she didn't know it was there and ignored it. She is licking her lips sometime but often just watching in front of her. If I walk by she will look and sometimes wag her tail but she is very odd. The look on her face looks depressed or blank. She looks like she wants to close her eyes. I don't know what could have happened since the walk and now. It is very odd. She is laying down now. No vomit or diarrhea. But she looks sad, depressed, like something is wrong. I don't know how to gauge if there is an emergency. She has moved from the sofa to upstairs on her bed. But something seems off. Any input? She has protein losing enteropathy but her last blood test 3 months ago was pretty good and just a click away from normal.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Lil-

I'm sorry to hear about Gabby. :(

Yes, it does seem like pet problems can come in bunches.

It does indeed sound like an exam by a vet is a super good idea (which is the case any time you are concerned about her). Especially considering her age and other issues.

Please update here when you learn more about what's going on.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Yes, plan to call the vet tomorrow morning for sure. All the unanticipated problems. I hope she will be ok tonight and that he can give me some info-he is very busy but he does his best to accomodate.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Gabby got a cerenia shot. Wish there was some holistic action to do instead .I guess every illness like vomiting doesn't have a holistic alternative:=( So as I understand it makes her brain want to eat but I asked the vet "what if her stomach says no and she vomits??" I thought that was a logical question as I understand how cerenia works. We will see I guess. Unfortunately no holistic vets in my area and I usually do a phone consult but that takes time to set up. Will see how Gabby does with the drug. That is the update.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I am not sure Gabby is 100 percent feeling better. She did eat today so far which is 24 hrs post cerenia shot. But I see occasional licking her lips. She took a small piece of turkey earlier but approached it hesitantly which is what I see when her stomach doesn't feel well. So where does one go from here? I do have some gastricumeel from an integrative doctor in the past. Would that help if I mixed up 10 pills (BHI) in 1 oz of water to give her a few times a day? I really don't think giving her Cerenia is the answer, seems like a band aid and conventional treatment which is not what I am looking for post the crisis intervention. Also is there a probiotic without colostrum in it that I can try. Seems that gave her diarrhea in the past. I did try mitomax months ago and that seemed to make her depressed. Should I go back to Animal Biome or is there something else to try? I hope this is a virus what the other dog had and not a recurrence of PLE symptoms. Thanks

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom