• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Multivitamin and mineral supplements

novasimpson

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi!  We have 2 dogs.  Toshi is being fed a raw diet (with some home cooked meals a couple times a week), Tater Tot is on a home cooked diet (with some raw food snacks).  I was trying to find a high quality MVI/mineral supplement to give to Tater and maybe Toshia.

Do you think it is a necessary addition?  In Dr. Becker's book, she mentions making the supplement which I have done in the past but I was hoping to find a supplement that is available to purchase.

Any brand recommendations?

Thanks!

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Great job to be feeding fresh! Toshi and Tater Tot love you for it!

First, remember that there is absolutely no one best way to feed people or animals. The best ingredients, for sure (so the more you can buy locally and feed big hunks of meat, organ, meat bones the better). Any food you purchase already made may change over time, so it is good you are already adding the variety of local foods.

Second, we keep learning new things daily. Dr. Dodds, on the Empower Hour, said that even free range meat may have been eating grasses sprayed with glyphosate. I learned yesterday from one of the owners of the non-profit testing lab that many grains are sprayed with glyphosate, so it is good to keep learning. Organic from local farms may help as you can have repeated conversations with the farmer about how they farm.

Third, keep your antenna out (I will too) about nutrient dense foods. Studies have showed that  you now need a bathtub full to get the nutrients in a pound of spinach a century ago.  This is one reason that supplements can be useful, just as with people.

Each supplement is different, so rotation is great. Also, pay attention to changes in BEAM, Early Warning Signs, even subtle to know which supplements are best for each animal.  I like to feed blue green algae - one is <a href="https://theedgeup.ca/">The Edge</a>. I like different mushroom products. One is Duke's Crown K-9 Mushroom mix. Animal Essentials' Multivitamin. Standard Process Canine Whole Food.

Those are a few to begin with along with increasing the number of meals you feed with local ingredients.

&nbsp;

novasimpson

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you Dr. Christina!

I was wondering if anyone has fed their pups egg shells.  I have been saving ours up and was looking how best to give to the pups.  The recipes I found say to boil then dry or bake them then grind them. Is that best or does the baking/boiling decrease the nutrients in the egg shell?

Thanks all!

H

hsutopia

My dogs get whole raw eggs most days, and they will eat the shell along with it.  For some time I was making eggshell calcium to add to their raw meals.  I didn't bake the shells, but just collected them and let them dry in a paper bag, then ground them up using a small electric coffee grinder.   I stopped doing it because they get raw meaty bones daily, so it didn't seem like it would be beneficial to keep adding extra.   It's a good question about the nutrients and baking-- my guess would be that baking at a low temp to dry the shells should be fine.

beccak

All-Access Member
Pet Professional
Registered
I supplement with eggshell powder. I follow Dr Pitcairn's directions.

I'm trying to attach his recipe, but can't seem to get a picture to post, sorry.

Basically, wash, bake at 300 for 10 mins, grind to fine powder. Each eggshell will make about one teaspoon,  1800 mg of calcium.

Becca

&nbsp;

&nbsp;

jenniferleadulin8

Registered
we use egg shells when she hasn't had bones in her raw meat...  on those day she gets egg shells.   we were told they are an incredible bioavailable source

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes! Eggshell calcium is a great calcium source.

Animal Essentials seaweed-derived calcium is another.

Regarding your original multivit. question Nova, I concur with Dr. Christina.

That the spinach, or kale or meats, etc. nowadays are not as nutritive as they have been in the past. In part because our crops are grown on inferior soil.

So a multivit. can be very useful.

Currently, I'd advise you look at the great Cornucopia supplements and the multi-gland and organ source of Pet GO (Glands + Organs) from Pets Friend. They also make Eggshellent Calcium.

However many good ones exist, e.g the "whole body" support from Standard Process and other great sources.

With any vitamin, supplement, or food, variety is very important. So it's great to alternate any one that you choose to use.

Dr. Jeff

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom