• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Materia Medica Question

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
This question also has to do with potency and re-dosing.

The information listed for Ears under nux vomica includes 'loud sounds are painful.' This helps me know, along with other things, that nux is a good match for Charlie for now. The ring tone for text messages on my phone really bothered him so I changed to something he doesn't seem to notice. He doesn't like having his picture take with my phone because of the noise he heard initially. Silencing the phone doesn't help because of the association I guess. And, when I cough, he leaves the room, every time. This is becoming a little more frequent for me with the weather turning cooler.

Everything else is going really well with him--his BEAM is great, and many of his symptoms have improved or cleared. This issue seems manageable but I'm wondering if I should consider re-dosing and/or reconsider potency. His last dose was August 2, 200C, 10 succussions, q-tip.

Looking for thoughts on this.

Thanks!

Kristen

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Kristen-

Sorry for the slow reply.

That's fantastic that Charlie is doing well!

Are his BEAM and any 4 P (prominent, problematic, persistent and peculiar) gradually (over days and weeks) continuing to improve?

If not, and since Nux has helped him so much, and the persistent symptoms are covered by Nux, then a redose could very well help him move forward.

However, if his sudden sound phobia is something new, his body may be telling us that he needs a new remedy.

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks @Dr. Jeff and no worries about time taken to reply.

This is not new for Charlie. I first documented it on 3/15/2020 and it was considered when I did his repertorization.

He's improving in most all areas. His digestive system remains inconsistent -- occasional diarrhea, burping, stools often soft.

Thanks again, talk with you later today.

Kristen

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
Hmmmm....what did the nux do?
Well @Dr. Christina ...I didn't re-dose him. I've been thinking about this though. Is there ever any harm in re-dosing even if not recommended by the HA! vets?

Also, since his last potency of nux was 200c, is that what I would re-dose him with? Are we supposed to stay with higher potencies once we've given them or can we go back to 30C?

I can't think these questions through...thanks!

Kristen

EdwinA

All-Access Member
Registered
Well @Dr. Christina ...I didn't re-dose him. I've been thinking about this though. Is there ever any harm in re-dosing even if not recommended by the HA! vets?

Also, since his last potency of nux was 200c, is that what I would re-dose him with? Are we supposed to stay with higher potencies once we've given them or can we go back to 30C?

I can't think these questions through...thanks!

Kristen
Hi Kristen.

Did you figure out an answer to the Nux vomica question?

I've been using Nux vomica for one of my cats who gets a bit constipated, I think from ingesting fur, but I don't know whether to go with a single high potency dose or give lots of little doses. I just got 6c having been using 30c.

Would love to know anything you've found out!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Whether to dose or not:

If the 30c isnt helping, you may want to use the 6c in solution 10/dose every day.

10/dose means that succuss the remedy solution 10X prior to each days dose. The higher the sensitivity of the individual to the homeopathic medicine, the greater the chance that they will have an over strong reaction.

That's why I like the Q-tip dose. Individual sensitivity becomes less of an issue.

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
@EdwinA -- Wow! I wrote that reply to @Dr. Christina on December 2 of last year and I finally re-dosed Charlie on December 28. That was a few days after my 15-minute call with @Dr. Jeff. I stayed with 200c at Dr. Jeff's recommendation although I think I understand why he said to use 6c 10/dose every day in your case. If you've started that, it will be interesting to see what changes for your cat.

I am usually slow to re-dose. I try to let BEAM guide me but I can get distracted by trying to stop symptoms. Charlie has only once responded dramatically and immediately to nux 30c. He progresses slowly and often when I think of re-dosing, he improves. In fact, before I re-dosed him the evening of 12/28, he showed increased energy and a reduction in one of his symptoms that afternoon. I went ahead with another dose of nux vomica 200c that evening, hoping that I could support whatever healing was happening. These improvements have remained so I'm hoping that dose did something.

So, that's the answer that I came to for my question this time. It might be different the next time I think about re-dosing. This may be where 'it depends' comes into play!

Thanks for making me think about this! Here's a picture of Charlie laying on the sofa with me, against my leg, ...a behavior he stopped doing months and months and months ago. He started doing this again on the afternoon of December 28 and hasn't stopped since. I sure hope it continues! I had to turn the sound off on my phone because the odd noises bother him and he will isolate if he hears them. I've seen a little improvement in this lately but it's inconsistent.

Kristen

65B9A333-CFD3-4337-A47A-06A888E3B601.jpeg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wow, amazing "quick" win on 12/28 Kristen!

Edwin, how's Casper?

EdwinA

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Kristen and Dr Jeff!

Your experience is really interesting and helpful, Kristen. Charlie looks very relaxed and happy! I'm going to bear your approach in mind with my cat Dante. I think the Nux 30c has helped his constipation a bit and he produced a hairball yesterday and one a week or two ago so maybe now I'll watch and wait and next time I think it could help him I'll use the 6c like you said, Dr Jeff.

Dr Jeff, since I gave Casper one Sulphur 200c (as a follow-up to Chelionium), he seems to have stopped the drinking. His BEAM also seems to still be improving. I think he's a bit less fussy about his food, so maybe we'll try getting him back on the fresh diet soon. He even spent last night on the bed, which he hasn't done for ages (a bit like Charlie resting his head on your leg, Kristen). He's also running more from place to place. His wee is still yellow but less foamy, I think. I haven't given him any supplements (which can give false negatives) for four or five days and his bilirubin was still negative on the dipstick, but still showing blood.

What if his BEAM is great but the blood remains in his urine?

Thanks so much for all your help and experience, Kristen and Dr Jeff!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Fantastic that Casper is better! :snowman:

What a wonderful and important question about what to do if BEAM is better but an abnormal symptom remains.

Conventionally the answer is further diagnostic testing or therapeutic trials of drugs that "may help".

Homeopathically it means it's time for the sacred paws.

In other words, wait and watch for further improvement or use this time to investigate for other symptoms that can lead to a curative remedy.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom