• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Loose Teeth -How to Care & Treat

novasimpson

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi! Tater Tot has had loose teeth the last ~2 years. I recently started giving her some lamb gullets (harder chew treat) and after a few days, one of her molars loosened--we weren't sure what was going on b/c she was acting strange, so took her to an emergency vet. They gave her a quick look over and removed the molar easily during the visit. They said she had some more loose teeth but none that would come out painlessly. They recommended she have a dental under anesthesia and have some teeth removed.

I am thinking, we would avoid doing the anesthesia appointment and allow her teeth to fall out naturally?

She is able to eat her food and most of her treats but she likes chew treats. Any ideas which ones are okay for a dog with loose teeth? Sweet potato chews?

Thanks!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Nova!

Let's discuss this topic tonight if you can attend live. If you're not at the webinar, I'll post any thoughts. In the meantime, there are a few applicable forum threads and Empower Hour! recordings.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi again, Nova. Unfortunately, we didn't get to discuss your question tonight, but regarding it, I would agree for now.

Since she's avoiding some treats, she may be feeling some oral discomfort.

You also wrote elsewhere that she's having a flare-up of her KCS.

It's interesting that her eyes flared up right after the energetic equilibrium stressor from her molar...

Regarding treats for pups with loose teeth, the harder the better! This can promote the loose teeth to fall out, which is better than the inflammation and source of infection that loose teeth can be.

Whenever you can, log in at HA!, as you might find these two EH! webinars about tooth care, dentistry and NAD (non-anesthetic dentistry) helpful:

Integrative Dental Health for dogs with Dr. Katie Kangas:

NAD and tooth care:

novasimpson

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you so much Dr Jeff!! I will listen to these tonight. I am sorry I was unable to attend last night

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Regarding treats for pups with loose teeth, the harder the better! This can promote the loose teeth to fall out, which is better than the inflammation and source of infection that loose teeth can be.
:oops: Hi @Dr. Jeff - I was shocked when I read that! With Hope's loose teeth, I have been avoiding giving her any hard treats/food! This is very enlightening and I'm so thankful for HA!

Anyway, I'm doing research on HA on dental health and loose teeth and will watch the webinar by Dr. Katie.

Hope has two loose teeth and most of her teeth except the front ones are covered with tartar completely. It's been a week and I still have not received a call from our local vet re dental cleaning and extractions schedule....I was wondering if we should hold of on it if there's no urgency? Her BEAM is good...her loose teeth don't seem to be bothering her too much, except she rubs her face on the floor and/or scratches her face after eating [loose teeth is the cause? no sure].

If there's no urgency, should I try giving her hard treats first and hope that they'll fall off on their own? Also, we have an appointment scheduled with you for 2/17...I was thinking we should talk first and get her an individualized plan ready BEFORE the cleaning and extraction (if needed). Thank you for your advice!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, no urgency since her BEAM is good.

Also, regarding conventional care and cleaning (and removing) teeth, you may want to look at this product besides using the big hard treats:

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Yes, no urgency since her BEAM is good.

Also, regarding conventional care and cleaning (and removing) teeth, you may want to look at this product besides using the big hard treats:

Thanks Dr Jeff. The ingredients are okay to use daily? I have this one hand, what do you think? Hydrogel 15%

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
It looks to be fine to use. I just don't know how effective it would be.

Regarding the Oravet ingredients, they are safe and effective in the short run. It's worthwhile if it helps avoid the dental.

In addition to the active ingredient, the sticky substrate really stimulates the gums and teeth (similar to how big hard treats work).

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi @Dr. Jeff :

would raw chicken feet and necks be a good option as well?

We will give Oravet a try but I'm a little hesitant introducing to her new things because she's been having (still) GI issues.

Also, you had suggested Proden Plaque-Off and 1-TDC for Koby. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom