• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Liver Shunt

F

Frances

Hi, I am new to the forum and Holistic Actions. I have a 7.5 month old male maltese who has a liver shunt, 1cm. Surgery is not an option now, so we are trying to correct it with diet. I always fed him healthy fruit veggies and good meats and our vet, said what we did helped him as he didn't exhibit a lot of symptoms as others animals have. She suggested a prescribed dod food, which he didn't like, but now it is suggested I make meals that are more balanced using a particular website which does not allow so many fruits and veggies, but more protein...and for a liver shunt, I know low protein diet is best. Not sure what to do? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Dr Jeff, suggested I post this as others in the group may be able share their insight. Thank you :) Thank you Dr Jeff.)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Frances, and welcome to HA!

I'm so sorry to hear about your pup with the big (and therefore non-surgical) liver shunt.

What's his name?

You can help him today using his natural vitality and balance.

Feed him the freshest, and most vital, food possible.

Pups with MVD, or any liver dis-ease do best when they have an experienced holistic and preferably homeopathically-trained vet on their team.

In addition to fresh food feeding, fresh air and exercise will help build his vitality further.

Then, do everything possible to preserve it by avoiding toxins as in vaccines and not working against your pets' bodies using "antis".

Also, the same supplements mentioned in the thread earlier today about MVD (very small micro-shunts) would help optimize his healing.

I look forward to e-meeting you on an Empower Hour! webinar soon.

F

Frances

Thank you Dr Jeff,
My little Harpo cannot have surgery at this time due to our finances, so that is the reason why we are looking into helping Harpo through his diet. He is active, fun and just loves life. We got him at 4 months old and he weighed 2.4 pounds. Today at 7.5 months he is 5.4 pounds and he has grown taller (he has long legs) and he no longer is bony or really thin.

He does not show major signs of a liver shunt and his diet of good healthy foods, as I explained to you earlier, is what our vet believes has kept him free form major symptoms.

Occasionally he will throw up, usually in the morning, and I have found not feeding him past 8 pm helps. I do feed him through out the day so he remains stable.He does however, have a tendency to eat the leaves of our rose bushes, or my garden veggies and the little gravel rocks outside. I manage to catch him in time and replace the rocks with treats.

One disturbing thing he has recently been doing ( this past week) is lick or "eat" ( though I have not seem him,) eat the faces of our other 6 year old Maltese. Is this all part of him not absorbing vitamins.? Will his diet help rectify this?

I also wish to confirming that the other medication or supplements you suggested in an email to me are: Vterilliquid DMG, hepatic Support, and VRS Tru Hepato.

I am so grateful to be part of Holistic Actions :) Our dogs are our kids :). Have a wonderful night.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're very welcome Frances!

Yes, those were the supportive supplements that I mentioned in another post and email.

Have a lovely Easter-Passover weekend!???‍♀️??

Last edited:

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom