• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

How to Help a Kitty With Skin Irritation -

BarbR

All-Access Member
Registered
Lily is 2.5 years old, a small (7 lb) mostly-white calico. In mid-March I first noticed crustiness at the base of her ears (both) on the inside. I asked advice from my TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) vet who happened to visit the next day. She guessed it was allergies, based on Lily's history of respiratory problems last year. (Note, she is also trained & experienced as a Western medicine vet) She started her on Chinese herbs for "ear heat". I spoke with a homeopathic vet (who also does Western medicine), and over the next 3 weeks he prescribed Apis 30c, then Sulphur 6c, Nux-vomica 30c, Thuja 30c, and Psorinum 30c.

The irritation spread - up the inside of the ears, between the ears, under the chin, along the top of the nose. She began to shake her paws as she walked. Hot spots appeared on her rear hocks. Normally a high energy cat, she didn't move much. It affected her appetite. At the end of April, I took her to the local vet for a skin scrape (to look for ringworm or other fungus). No fluorescence and nothing in the scraping. She was given an injection of Convenia for secondary infection and started on a course of Apoquel - 3.6 mg/d for two weeks then 1.8 mg/d.

After 4 weeks, Lily was back to her old self, and even better. She chased with her "brothers" and bullied her older "sisters". I stopped the Apoquel, but, in just two weeks, the ears were scabby again and her energy started to drop. The homeopathic vet prescribed Sulph LM1. On the advice of the vets, I restarted the Apoquel in late June. She got worse -- but not quite as bad as before.

Two weeks ago the TCM vet looked at her closely again and noticed the pattern of the irritation -- ears, pads and nail beds, nose, eyes... She suggested it looked a lot like Pemphigus Foliaceus. I have scheduled an appointment with a dermatologist and stopped the Apoquel. The homeopathic vet said to try Rhus Tox 30c and then Clematis 30c. No improvement.

A new symptom developed. She ducks her head as she walks -- like she is trying to avoid something that is swooping down over her. Based on a conversation with Kate Solisti's help, this is not a voluntary action. It's like a "tic" caused by great inflammation in the head that affects the brain.

Last week (late July) I had an appointment with Dr. Jeff about Lily and he prescribed Lycopodium 30c. The ducking stopped for 3 days. It came back yesterday and I repeated the Lyc 30c. She was growly last night & this morning, but this afternoon she is accepting strokes and sitting calmly with me.

Kate says that Lily has a strong vital force. Her lack of movement is because her immune system is working so hard it makes her tired. She suffered trauma as a kitten before she came to me, but she told Kate that she has put that behind her.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks so much for making your first forum post and for sharing your experience with Lily and Lycopodium so far.

Did her BEAM, or any other symptom (other than ducking) change after the first dose?

BarbR

All-Access Member
Registered
I'd say that her mood improved a bit. She came to me and asked to get into my lap. Also, another time when I sat near her, she purred when I stroked her tummy. But, then yesterday, her mood dropped again. I was growled at when I tried to handle her. Also, I noticed at that point that her coat seemed drier and rougher than it has been. Energy (low) and appetite (good) have been pretty consistent throughout.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for your reply Barb.

Now's a good time to see what her body tells us, without dosing, in the next week.

BarbR

All-Access Member
Registered
Generally, I feel helpless as I watch my formerly joyful kitty retreat. She growls whenever I touch her.

Behavior and physical observations: On Monday she seemed really hot to touch. In the morning she was very growly, but in the evening she came to me to sit in my lap, and she purred. At bedtime she ran to get treats. Tuesday she seemed cooler to touch, but she stayed growly all day. The ducking started again. She spent most of the day in a chair. She came for treats again at bedtime. Wednesday was much like Tuesday -- all day in the chair. I noticed that there are now fewer scabs in her ears. She did not come for treats at bedtime, but she ate some that I took to her. Thursday, again, she just sat in the chair all day except for mealtimes until evening. In the evening she moved out of the chair. I think she slept in a cat tunnel. She ran for treats at bedtime. On Friday she moved several times during the day, but never to the chair. For the first time in a long while, I saw her on top of the cat tree. After supper she moved into the little house on the cat tree and growled if I tried to pet her. Much shaking of paws all week. After each meal I ask the woman who helps me feed the cats what she sees in Lily. She consistently answers that she looks miserable. She also reported much ducking and paw shaking. On Thursday evening she said that Lily let her rub her rump for some seconds, and she seemed to enjoy it, but she did not purr.
Energy: Poor, showing just a little more energy since Thursday night when she started to move around more. (but I'd still call her energy poor) Via Kate Solisti she said that she has to use all of her energy to fight the inflammation in her body.
Appetite: Fair. She starts off each meal OK, but has to be coaxed to finish. Some meals she did not finish. When asked about it through Kate, she said that digestion takes too much energy. She is limiting the food to conserve energy.
Mood: Not good toward me since the nice purring session on Monday. Much growling and avoidance of touch. Perks up some at treat time. She avoids the other cats for the most part.

While I want to rejoice that some of the scabs have disappeared, I fear that it might be that the disease is going deeper since she continues to seem miserable.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
I certainly hear your frustration, Barb.

When our cats are showing us clear symptoms of distress (duck, shake paws, low energy, poor appetite, skin lesions and more...we just want it all better. When I was treating animals for 40 years, I would be very frustrated as well and sometimes would prescribe different remedies too quickly, not allowing the vital force to express itself clearly through the vital force. Some animals responded immediately to treatments and others demanded a lot of patience from us. This is certainly true for people, too.

Right now she is on a homeopathic medicine she has never had before. She has had drugs and a lot of different medicines, so it is very important, even though hard, to be very patient right now and not confuse her with too many doses of Lycopodium or other homeopathic medicines.

The good news is that she is still showing some improvements, though they do not last long. When symptoms are continually changing, that is a time to wait if at all possible. Because she is so young, it is even more important to take the time to carefully build the vitality and balance the vital force.

Do you have any idea why the itching started in March? You may want to ask Kate.

Also, you may want to ask Kate if any of the following may help temporarily relieve some of the inflammation while the medicines are deeply curing:
Flower essences - topically and internally for the skin
Reiki, Eden or other energy treatments
Acupressure
Dribbling oatmeal water on the itchy places
Aloe vera on the skin
CBD (cannabis) - I would check with Dr. Jeff before starting this
See if she sees some foods as worsening the inflammation
Any other suggestions

Then post here and we will discuss the possible choices.

Very importantly, and Gail Pope is expert at this - keep seeing, feeling, thinking that Lily is 100% well. Do this even while tracking these disturbing symptoms, as you are doing so well. If you do not have my Healthy Cat Journal, it may help you not miss any symptoms.

Dr. Christina

BarbR

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank-you, Dr. Christina. I needed the encouragement. Thanks also for the suggestions about what to ask Kate. That gives me some way to feel useful while I wait!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Barb-

Yes, it can be very hard to watch symptoms coming and going as the body rebalances. However, it's definitely worthwhile! You're doing a wonderful job of using those 2 important Ps of patience and perseverance.

As Dr. Christina mentions, there are enough small positive changes for us to wait longer for Lily's internal rebalancing.

I see that you're on the schedule for a full recheck on Tues., and this is perfect timing, after the last dose of Lyco, to decide what to do.

MisaO

Community Member
Registered
Hi Dr. Christina, where can I find your Healthy Cat Journal? I also have an itchy cat, and want to keep track of her symptoms. Thanks!

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
thanks - you have two options.
One is to go to my website and download the Healthy Cat Journal Ebook, keeping the text on the computer and printing out the parts to journal in, putting them into a three ring binder.

The second is to order the print version, Healthy Animal's Journal from the site and I will mail it to you. email me your kitty's name so I can autograph the journal.

Dr. Christina

MisaO

Community Member
Registered
Thank you! I have just downloaded it, and look forward to using it.
Misa

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wonderful Misa. Please let us know if you have questions about tracking symptoms.

BarbR

All-Access Member
Registered
Little Lily completed 3 days of dosing with lycopodium 30c. From the first day she became more interactive. She came to me for pets just a few hours after the first dosing. The next day she came and sat on my lap for more than an hour, purring, until I had to move. When I pet her, she rolls over to accept belly rubs and purr. She has resumed sun bathing in the morning. She is still not interacting with the other cats. After the first dose, her nose seemed redder and puffier. Her ears seem a little less scabby and when I comb her, fewer hair tufts come out. Her little feet are still peeling and she shakes them a lot. I've seen her duck a couple of times, but less frequently than last week. So, behavior and mood seem improved. Her appetite is still good. She enjoys her meals and bedtime treats (dried turkey liver). I've attached photos of her nose and paw.33C667AD-7B59-43E4-A3CF-3D573584305B_1_201_a.jpeg24CCD569-F83D-4BA3-AF9C-4461C5D1061A.jpeg

BarbR

All-Access Member
Registered
I wanted to share a question that arose in my last appointment with Dr. Jeff and his answer. I had the understanding that one should see symptoms disappear in the reverse order of appearance. For Lily, symptoms started in her ears and between her ears, then her eyes and paw pads, and finally hot spots on her hocks and under her chin. The first area to show relief was the ear. Now I see some relief between the ears and the hot spots have gotten less "hot". I worried that since the sequence was not clearly in reverse order that there might be some suppression. Dr. Jeff sent me this link Articles on homeopathy from master homeopathic practitioners that explained that sequence is not a "law" and assured me that as long as BEAM improved, which it had, I should not be worried.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks so much for posting this, Barb!:)

BarbR

All-Access Member
Registered
An update on Lily. Dr. Jeff recommended a series of 5 days of lycopodium 30c, which she finished 9 days ago. As mentioned in my last post, the skin problems started to clear and her energy rose. Now, activity wise, I estimate she's about 85% back and still rising. No more sleeping away the days! She has started playing with the other young cats, but not quite at full force or for long periods like before. She has also resumed some of her other normal mischief (climbing kitchen drawers), but again, not full-heartedly. Her little paws are clear of peeling, but they are still a little hot. Her nose is smooth and soft again, but a little pinker than usual. There is very little grit on her head. Her hocks and chin are white again. Her appetite remains good, and I think she's enjoying her dehydrated turkey liver treats more than ever. She accepts pets without growling -- even comes seeking them again. A local vet who visited us yesterday and agreed that she is much improved. Watching and waiting as the lycopodium continues its work. I am so pleased!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Go Lily!!

Thanks for posting this wonderful update, Barb. I'm glad that your TCM vet got to see her.

BarbR

All-Access Member
Registered
Update on Lily. Her condition has deteriorated again. After the last post and another dosing with lycopodeum she was soon back to her usual energetic self. Then in late October the ducking began occasionally and some excema appeared on her chin. I gave her another dose of lycopodium November 1 and 3 doses November 21-22. By November 21 it was clear that the condition was flaring. The inside of her ears were red. Hair was coming out from the top of her head. She started to lick one rear foot, and her energy was down slightly. Over the next few days everything got worse — crouching more as she walked, more hair loss, all feet affected and hot, generally doesn’t want to be touched, and licking and scratching a lot. She stopped playing by November 26. After consultation with Dr. Jeff she had a dose of sulphur 30c on December 8 and again on the 13th. Her pace of eating has increased a little and her little paws are less heated. She is walking a little taller. But, her mood has become more grumpy. Watching and waiting for signs of positive (or any) change.

BarbR

All-Access Member
Registered
Not a good day for Lily. The plan was a goat milk fast today. She didn’t come for breakfast. I took her to the milk. She drank some, 1-2 oz, and stopped. She crawled into a play tunnel and stayed there for hours. I offered her milk in the Tunnel twice and she refused. In the tunnel she t or scratched and licked. I dumped her out to try the milk, and she refused again. She showed interest in getting up onto a narrow shelf where she likes to rest, but it looked like she couldn’t do it. I lifted her up and let her sleep until supper time. Then I brought her out to try the milk one last time. She walked away — in a very low crouch, shaking her paws, with tail twitching. Lots more scratching and licking. I tried some chicken broth. She drank an ounce or so, but won’t take more. Curled up sleeping again, this time on a cushion on a table she reached via a chair.

I’ve tried petting her. She tolerates it briefly and then starts the tail twitching hard back and forth and growls.

BarbR

All-Access Member
Registered
Lily is recovering again. She has had 2 doses of sulphur 30c. About 5 days after the second dose she started moving around more and in a couple of days more her appetite really picked up (It never was really bad). She is not quite back to full energy, and her back feet are still blistered and the nail beds look bad. Every day she’s a little better. Once she recovers fully, I’m going to watch for any little symptom to start addressing the problem before it gets bad.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom