• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Kittens spaying

C

Christie

Hello.
At what age do kittens start to go into heat? My husband wants them spayed at this time and I don’t want to. He doesn’t want howling or bad reacting from them. I’m at a real loss at what to do. Thanks.
Christie

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Kittens generally have their first heat around six months of age. Cats are more likely to go into heat in the spring and fall.

Cats appear to be less adversely affected by spaying than dogs, though that may be because the situation is less studied in cats. At any rate, most people will find it quite difficult to keep unspayed (intact) female cats in a home.

Cats go into heat and show signs of heat (crying, trying to escape) for a few weeks, then they stop showing signs briefly, then start over again. Cats are essentially constantly in heat until they are mated or 'sham' bred. The act of mating stimulates ovulation, and the end of the heat cycle.

Many cat breeders keep a vasectomised tomcat to service the females. A vasectomised tom is sterile, so females will not become pregnant, but the act of intercourse will stop them from showing signs of heat. Some people can sham mate female cats with a glass rod, though it is not simple to do this.

If you do not have a vasectomised tomcat handy, your cats will show signs of heat pretty frequently until they are bred. Most cats will eventually stop showing heat signs in midsummer and during the midwinter, if they are not bred. Mother Nature has made cats determined to breed, so most intact cats will try to escape, and most will end up getting bred. This is why shelters have so many kittens at certain times of year.

I hope this helps with your decision. My hospital has performed ovary sparing spays (hysterectomies) on two cats whose owner was determined that they should keep their ovaries. She lived alone and didn't mind the howling, she just wanted to be sure the cats couldn't reproduce.

C

Christie

Thanks for answering that so quickly. We will have to spay them then I guess. Another question- do kittens lose their teeth?? They had two growing side by side on each kitten in the front but one is now gone on one kitten! Here’s a comparison of two kittens.

D53AC558-D46A-4B90-BC8C-121F0ACC2700.jpeg

5EEF0F6E-6B2C-4BEB-8CC4-F629E2BB2EC0.jpeg

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
The tooth in the back is the permanent tooth, and it should push out the baby tooth. If it doesn't, your vet can remove the baby tooth at the time of the spay.

C

Christie

I have better pics. These are a week apart same kitten. Does it look like the front pushed the back out?

B7EA94B3-605F-42EC-BB52-EFEEF5DEA8B2.png

B609AC13-1B50-49F6-9A30-2BAF4F8AC0B6.png

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Yes, the permanent tooth pushed out the baby tooth. That is right on schedule for the canine teeth around 5 to 6 months.

C

Christie

Great. So do you suggest at 6 months getting them spayed? Or wait longer. I prefer whatever is the healthiest time and immune is strongest.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
D

Dr. Jean

Working with feline rescues, shelters, and TNR groups, I discovered that kittens can easily go into first heat at 4 months of age. If they go through estrus repeatedly without being bred, there is a risk of pyometra, a serious uterine infection. Right now, as spring is creeping in, even here in the mountains, Nature will be anxious to get the program going, so be careful! :)

C

Christie

They are at 4 months now. Is this why they are cry/wailing so much?

Also, is there a holistic numbing agent I could use when I spay them as I'd like no pain. Are there any tips you can give me for when they go through the surgery?

Thank you all!
Christie

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, this is very possibly why the female kitties are yowling.

For surgery prep. give a dose of Arnica (the highest potency you have) the night before surgery.

Then frequent water doses even before there is any pain post-op.

Dose as often as needed based on any lowering of BEAM, restlessness, isolating, etc.

If that doesn't help, you can then give the pain medicine that your vet dispenses.

C

Christie

Thanks. Yes one kitten is rolling around yowling and sticking her butt up. She seems uncomfortable. Is this true? I’m too busy to have the surgery until 2 weeks I will be more free could it wait? ?

C

Christie

Hello. My kittens are spayed and I’m waiting for them as we speak. Wondering if they really need to wear the E collar or cone of shame as my other cats didn’t get this. ?

C

Christie

To add on to this, my kittens gooey eye is coming back from the stress of surgery and I wonder if on top of the sedation medication plus their pain killer opioids, is Dr Jeff’s Immunity dropper good to use to suppress this herpes virus or use straight lysine and if so how much? Also for the eye do I use Remend? I did a drop of sovereign so far. Thanks for your help!
Christie

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom