• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Kidney diet for protein in urine

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Was wondering about some guidance/links on the correct diet for a dog with protein in urine and high .1, UPCR. Not interested in a kibble or canned or prescription food for kidney dogs......He eats raw right now, Steve's beef with cooked bison and salmon or sardines. Recently I added a couple tablespoons of a higher fat and protein raw pet food burger and now he has diarrhea. Not sure if the diarrhea is from that or from the Vital Protein collagen peptides I have been giving him. I think the other day I doubled the dose by mistake. He never gets diarrhea. He is allergic to chicken so he can't have a meal with chicken. Would like to know the best diet for a kidney dog that is not TOTALLY home prepared. I do want to use a raw commercial diet as the major portion because I do not have the time to home "cook" 2 different diets for 2 different dogs. But I can "add" extras like I do now adding bison to his commercial raw. As an aside, he also just seems mentally slow, not sure if that is part and parcel to his kidney issue. This is JJ, 14 y/o Shar Pei, Male Neutered, on thyroid meds. Enalapril was prescribed but have not given it to him yet.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I'd say Darwin's kidney diet is the best raw for a high UPC. Maybe work up to a raw egg/day if he is able to tolerate. This can help the low serum albumin secondary to the kidney (glomerular) issues.

50% off your first order for HA! members if you email this coupon with your order to:

coupon=HOLISTICACTIONS and email to redeem@darwinspet.com

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom