• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Juice pulp

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Amy, I have often recommended this to people as the vegetables are finely pureed.

My question is the nutrients in the pulp and the juice. Should the dogs/cats also be getting the juice, or some of the juice?
Dr. C

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes! Sharing the juice is an even more awe-some way dogs and cats can benefit from the extra phytonutrients in the veggies and fruit used for juicing and making smoothies.

G

ginnyw

I'd like to see some scientific evaluation of canine intestinal flora and their suitability for digesting vegetable matter, over, say, the blood and fiber from animal matter. Or, any essential nutrient that has been discovered that is NOT supplied by a carnivorous diet. Yes, dogs can consume and at least pass a lot of things. But we already know they cannot break down plant cell walls. If there were necessary nutrients in there, why would dogs NOT be able to access them? Wouldn't you like to know that all the trouble to which we go is actually worth something? Just my take; it doesn't seem as though it's dog food, to me.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Ginny-

Ooh, there's lots of well-documented evidence that dogs absorb and benefit from phytonutrients from fruits and veggies.

In addition to what I've seen over the years a quick Google Scholar search will reveal several useful articles .

As with any dietary component, bioavailability will depend on the form of the food.

Juicing (or thorough blenderizing) breaks down the cell walls.

Many phytonutrients are not "essential" and that's exactly the point. The NON-essential nutrients can help decrease oxidative stress and inflammation (which is on the same continuum as cancer).

Regarding the trouble we go to for feeding our pets that you refer to, I'd have to say that... it depends.

The vast majority of raw feeders routinely buy 1 or 2 frozen meats and not much trouble there.

However, it's also important to use variety (including fruits, veggies, glands, organs, etc.) and moderation .

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Also, Ginny, dogs, and even cats, do eat vegetable matter from the stomach and intestines of their prey. That is well chewed and some is partially digested. The blending or juicing (as opposed to feeding hunks of veges as treats, jaw exercise and for boredom) does allow absorption of those great phytonutrients.

As with people, every dog and cat is unique, has unique nutritional needs, so the small effort to feed what you might just toss on the compost may make a difference. I do not juice (on my list to improve my health), so I just keep a food processor on the counter and dump in the trimmings, then pour in the cooking water from the veges, then add any left over cooked veges. The only extra time is turning on the blender and washing it.

Dr. C

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom