• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Is Using Colloidal Silver Safe for our Dogs & Cats or Not?

JodyLT

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Hi everyone - This came into my Inbox this morning from Dogs Naturally and it surprised me a bit, because it's calling out colloidal silver as potentially dangerous to give our dogs or cats. Here's the link to the video; there's a link to a more in-depth post below it, if you'd like to read more.

What do you think of this? What experiences have you had using colloidal silver on your pets?

Would love to hear what you have to say.

Thanks!

Jody

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for sharing this post and colloidal silver concern. I look forward to reading it.

Like any other strong medicine, silver can both help and potentially hurt.

Personally I think short term and topical use is OK, but advise against longer term or systemic use.

AlysonR

All-Access Member
Registered
I've used colloidal silver on myself for a month at a dosage of 3 tablespoons a day systemically, tapering off after that. I found no problems with it. I think the biggest danger is in not doing the research to get a good brand. There are different suspensions, particle sizes, etc., as mentioned in the article. I used Argentyn 23, as recommended by my health practitioner. I will often spray it up my nose and gargle with it 2-3 times a day for a week as a way to stave off an oncoming respiratory infection. Again, no issue, and it seems to work super well for that purpose (at the first sign of a stuffed up or dripping nose, or itchy throat). I used it for pink eye (yes, in my eye) once and it worked better than the prescribed antibiotics for the other eye (which was the start of the process). And yes, I have underlying health conditions that mean my body can't fight those sorts of infections -- and no, there's no holistic cure that will cure me in time (if ever) to avoid an infection like pink eye causing permanent damage before it is resolved!! I'll have a private chat with anyone who might disagree with that assessment of my own health 'challenges'. I AM working with a rather talented naturopath, and the best he's been able to do is hold things, more or less, at bay -- a great surprise to the conventional doctors, but still requiring some conventional medicine to keep things going.

So, here's the thing. The article mentions lots of research showing colloidal silver is ineffective, and maybe even harmful. I submit that there is lots of research similarly showing that Arnica is ineffective, and maybe even harmful. And yet, I use Arnica both internally and topically to great effect. And I've used colloidal silver on myself (apparently safely, as I'm still alive and not blue and not blind) effectively. As with all research, it is important to look at the details of how the study was conducted, what the hypotheses were, etc. Check out this one on Arnica showing it *increases* muscle pain after exercise: The effect of topical arnica on muscle pain - PubMed

I think, too, it's important to a) be careful in how you apply these things (don't drink a gallon of colloidal silver in one sitting, for example) and b) watch carefully to see if it's helpful. If it isn't, don't wait too long. If things aren't improving, or they're getting worse, it's time to try something else -- or maybe even, shudder, antibiotics. Additionally, some modalities just aren't right for some parts of the body. While it may be perfectly OK to squirt colloidal silver up your nostrils, it is NOT OK to apply, say, undiluted oregano oil to sensitive membranes of any sort.

JodyLT

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Thanks for sharing this post and colloidal silver concern. I look forward to reading it.

Like any other strong medicine, silver can both help and potentially hurt.

Personally I think short term and topical use is OK, but advise against longer term or systemic use.
Dr. Christina said the same thing when I discussed with her before sharing. I've used it on myself all during the height of the pandemic to protect myself - spraying up my nose and down my throat and no ill effects. Dr C likened to Goldenseal - use when needed, don't abuse.

JodyLT

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
I've used colloidal silver on myself for a month at a dosage of 3 tablespoons a day systemically, tapering off after that. I found no problems with it. I think the biggest danger is in not doing the research to get a good brand. There are different suspensions, particle sizes, etc., as mentioned in the article. I used Argentyn 23, as recommended by my health practitioner. I will often spray it up my nose and gargle with it 2-3 times a day for a week as a way to stave off an oncoming respiratory infection. Again, no issue, and it seems to work super well for that purpose (at the first sign of a stuffed up or dripping nose, or itchy throat). I used it for pink eye (yes, in my eye) once and it worked better than the prescribed antibiotics for the other eye (which was the start of the process). And yes, I have underlying health conditions that mean my body can't fight those sorts of infections -- and no, there's no holistic cure that will cure me in time (if ever) to avoid an infection like pink eye causing permanent damage before it is resolved!! I'll have a private chat with anyone who might disagree with that assessment of my own health 'challenges'. I AM working with a rather talented naturopath, and the best he's been able to do is hold things, more or less, at bay -- a great surprise to the conventional doctors, but still requiring some conventional medicine to keep things going.

So, here's the thing. The article mentions lots of research showing colloidal silver is ineffective, and maybe even harmful. I submit that there is lots of research similarly showing that Arnica is ineffective, and maybe even harmful. And yet, I use Arnica both internally and topically to great effect. And I've used colloidal silver on myself (apparently safely, as I'm still alive and not blue and not blind) effectively. As with all research, it is important to look at the details of how the study was conducted, what the hypotheses were, etc. Check out this one on Arnica showing it *increases* muscle pain after exercise: The effect of topical arnica on muscle pain - PubMed

I think, too, it's important to a) be careful in how you apply these things (don't drink a gallon of colloidal silver in one sitting, for example) and b) watch carefully to see if it's helpful. If it isn't, don't wait too long. If things aren't improving, or they're getting worse, it's time to try something else -- or maybe even, shudder, antibiotics. Additionally, some modalities just aren't right for some parts of the body. While it may be perfectly OK to squirt colloidal silver up your nostrils, it is NOT OK to apply, say, undiluted oregano oil to sensitive membranes of any sort.
Great advice, Alyson. Sorry to hear about your health challenges. Yes, there's pro and con articles all over the internet about most things. I was surprised to find this in DogsNaturally, but probably shouldn't be as they began a coconut oil bashing campaign a couple of years ago too. I'm not sure how Dana Scott at DN decides what to be for or go against but they go all out and have a significant enough following to influence the thinking of a lot of pet parents. That, sometimes, is worrying. Thanks so much for your input.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes Alyson, thanks so much for your wonderful post!

The colloidal silver debate is just one of many examples of It Depends.

Alyson I too am super sorry for your health challenges. The delicate balance of life can be really challenging at times.

One thing we know for sure though is that there is "vis medicatrix nature" and that the body (like all living organisms) is both designed and divinely destined to heal.

ValerieE

All-Access Member
Registered
I use for myself sovereign silver. I am wondering if it would be OK to put a drop in my cat's eye. I do not believe it will fix it as she has had a running eye since we got her 7 years ago :-(. But I am wondering if it would help downsize infections when the corner of her eye becomes very crusty, the way antibiotics used to work.

JodyLT

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
I use for myself sovereign silver. I am wondering if it would be OK to put a drop in my cat's eye. I do not believe it will fix it as she has had a running eye since we got her 7 years ago :-(. But I am wondering if it would help downsize infections when the corner of her eye becomes very crusty, the way antibiotics used to work.
Colloidal silver is fine for dogs and cats eyes to help treat infection, allergies, inflammation. I've used on mine with good results. @Dr. Jeff pls weigh in.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Short term, yes I agree Jody.

Hey Valerie, have you tried optimizing your kitty's intercellular communication?

That's often all it takes to improve symptoms like this, (as long as she eats fresh food and is mentally stimulated to remove potential obstacles to healing).

ValerieE

All-Access Member
Registered
Dr Jeff, could you point me towards more info about this? Florence will have her first appointment next week with Dr Christina, maybe this is something we could discuss. Thank you.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wow, no one ever asked me that before Valerie!

The reliable research info. can get pretty technical, but here's one such article:

One useful way to think about this concept is that anything that works with nature does this. In addition, the practices of the wisdom traditions, like meditation, eating the right foods, avoiding stress and toxins, etc. do the same thing (and help optimize health and happiness).

It's really easy to do with animals, but not so easy for people!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom