• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

IBD/Possibly Small Cell Cancer of Intestinal Tract

TarynF

Registered
  1. Create one forum thread per pet. If you have more than one case, create a thread for each animal.
  2. Your pet's name- Bella
  3. Approximate age- 12 yrs, 10 months
  4. Sex- Female
  5. Neutering status- Neutered
  6. Breed- Himalayan
  7. Approximate weight- 10lbs 12oz
  8. What's their BEAM (behavior, energy, appetite, mood). B- has been hiding some in the AM, E- decreased, A- decreased/less interest, M- Quieter/not as happy/less vocal.
  9. Diet- Purina HA Dry Food + Tuna/Shrimp Squeeze-ups for snack.
  10. Vaccination history / exposure to toxins, other medication- Standard vaccines, Proviable-forte probiotic, Predisolone, Chlorambucil, Fiber, B12 Shots, Cerenia, Mirtaz (if needed).
  11. Primary problem, when it began and if there was anything else happening around that time- IBD/Possibly Small Cell Cancer of Intestinal Tract. Possibly pancreatitis, bacteria infection of gut. Low B12, high folate. Mid-Jan 2023 is when Bella started having partial loose stools, I had increased her diet quickly due to noticing some weight loss. Though, she has always been a picky eater and anxious cat since I adopted her two years ago. I think the IBD issue had already existed then.
  12. Is the condition better or worse from exercise, heat, cold, time of day, certain foods, emotional upset, being touched, excitement, etc? If she doesn't eat during the night, she'll throw up (this has been happening a yr or more). Spends time in bathroom cabinet in the AM's, sometimes other times of the day, mainly the AM though. Also, when Bella is highly stressed, she develops mouth ulcers. Calicivirus suspected.
  13. Has any diagnostic work been done? Diagnosis if available (you can attach your diagnostic tests to the post if you have them). Yes, GI Panel, Ultrasound showing whole intestinal tract inflamed, stomach and rectum not inflamed.
  14. Current and previous treatment- Current treatment above, plus did 21 days of Metronidazole for suspected gut infection.
  15. Other health concerns- Flea bite history twice. Did she contract something then that's causing issues now? Is her Purina HA dry food causing IBD?
  16. I PREFER to make an appointment to discuss please. How do we go about making appointments? I fear I am going to lose my cat and need one on one help right away please. I have my own health issues (severe bartonella) and don't think I have the energy for forum discussions and reading, better for me to talk on the phone w/a dr. @Dr. Jeff , @Dr. Christina , @Dr. Sara , could you please help me?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Taryn!

Welcome to HA! and thanks for making your first post.

I'm super sorry to hear about Bella. :confused:

Since you don't have the energy for a forum discussion, I won't write a detailed reply so your best bet may be to schedule a Holistic Medical Decision Making (HMDM) call for this week (as soon as tomorrow!).

If you have any problems scheduling, Kim at HA! support can help you. You can reach her by email at: support@holisticactions.com

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
And I would make the Appointment with Dr. Jeff if you can, since he is more experienced with Cancer than I am.
Dr. Christina

TarynF

Registered
@Dr. Jeff , Hi Doctor,

Is it safe for a cat to have unsalted chicken broth since it contains onion extract/celery? My vet ok'd but I don't know if I agree.

Is there anything I could give Bella when experimenting with fresh foods to prevent or reduce an allergic reaction?

I'm worried about increasing her inflammation with food changes.

Bella has had Diarrhea daily. Chlorambucil (started 3/30/23) and Tues and Wed stools actually looked normal.
However, I tried 1 TB of fresh ground turkey (plus unsalted chicken broth) Tues and Wed night and she had Diarrhea this morning. Do you think the Turkey caused the Diarrhea again?

P.s. I enjoyed the Webinar this week, though I did cry twice. Lol.

Thanks! Taryn

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Yes, I did love hearing from Ellie Laks again. We interviewed her on All Paws Pet health TV as well.

Taryn, have you made an appointment yet with a veterinary homeopath? That is probably your next step.

When animals have chronic diarrhea it is hard to know if one food caused it.

Focusing on gut health, along with the happiness protocol, is probably critical. I have seen good success with fecal transplants (MASHvet. com or AnimalBiome.com are both good), Mitomax (from amazon) as a probiotic (in a study, they could decrease the steroids in 80% or more of IBD dogs.

Be sure to check out the resource library and take the pet health 101 class.

Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom