• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

How long does food reaction take to manifest

LilF

Community Member
Registered
How long does it take for a food reaction to take place. I gave Gabby some Fermented Goat milk again and the next day maybe she had a bit of stomach upset, nothing big. I fed it to her another time and she also seemed nauseaus (that time I think I gave her more)
So today, she had some diarrhea, 3 days after I gave her a small bit of goat milk. Yesterday her stool was normal completely. When I am trying to figure out what I gave her that caused something how far back do I have to look?
If she cannot tolerate the goat milk I need to find a probiotic that she will tolerate. She has the protein losing enteropathy in her small intestine. Isn't dairy in general bad for the gut---inflammatory---? Maybe I should go back to the Animal Biome probiotic. Has anyone had that one work for their dog?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Lil-

Regarding timing of a food reaction, the answer is that "it depends".

There's a wide spectrum of possible responses depending on her individuality and what type of immune reaction she has.

I've seen anywhere from hours to days to years. Some individuals suddenly develop an intolerance which could manifest as vomiting, diarrhea, skin symptoms and more rarely respiratory.

Yes, you may want to stay away from dairy altogether with Gabby's PLE.

How are her kidneys (certain dogs with PLE are also predisposed to PLN)?

Yes, Animal Biome's "Poop Pills" are great. For how long did Gabby take them?

Have you tried ION*Biome (which is not a probiotic). It is a natural supplement that may help decrease protein loss.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Hey Lil-

Regarding timing of a food reaction, the answer is that "it depends".

There's a wide spectrum of possible responses depending on her individuality and what type of immune reaction she has.

I've seen anywhere from hours to days to years. Some individuals suddenly develop an intolerance which could manifest as vomiting, diarrhea, skin symptoms and more rarely respiratory.

Yes, you may want to stay away from dairy altogether with Gabby's PLE.

How are her kidneys (certain dogs with PLE are also predisposed to PLN)?

Yes, Animal Biome's "Poop Pills" are great. For how long did Gabby take them?

Have you tried ION*Biome (which is not a probiotic). It is a natural supplement that may help decrease protein loss.
Yes I think maybe good to avoid dairy. When I gave her some colostrum she had diarrhea too. Colostrum Pro from Pro Symbiotics was also suggested to me but that is pasterurized cow pre milk immunoglobulins. With Immulox (whatever that is I don't know). Not going to try that. It was determined that her PLE was presumptively intestinal loss diffuse SI wall thickening with linear striations. The kidney urine test was ok. Her SDMA was 14, just at the top of normal. Are you talking ION Biome for pets because I don't see how that would work. It says to put some in a cup of water. How can I get her to drink it on demand. That could be a problem...Not sure now.... If there is another way to use it I will definitely give it a try but can't make her drink. Hope that makes sense.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
ION*Biome is easy to use! Just add 1 tsp. twice a day to Gabby's food.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, and yes!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom