• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Hot weather and soft stool

SusanI

All-Access Member
Registered
Starting with the first heat wave, my dog has had intermittent soft, sometimes mucusy poop. Occasionally diarrhea, but mostly just soft. And he didn’t act himself. Then when the temperature wasn’t extreme, it would go back to being solid and he acted normally again. Until the next heat wave. He just came off two + weeks of things being normal and now we’re back to soft poop and him seeming less with it. His appetite is as always great.

i can understand not feeling as energetic as usual when it’s real hot because not many of us do. I do wonder if this poop issue is a common thing in the heat? I did bring a stool sample but never heard back. Since he went back to normal soon after, I didn’t follow up past one call at which time the test hadn’t been run yet. He does have fleas unfortunately so that’s another thing to tackle.

On the plus side....that lump on his rear end that I thought was a perianal adenoma- apparently wasn’t since it ‘popped’ and there’s no trace of it that I can see (and believe me, before you could see it!) and never seemed to bother him. Cyst? It was always soft. But never interfered with his bathrooming.

I hate what hot weather does to him. I’m just keeping him cool in rooms with A/C or fan. Will try to get a stool sample done again too If it continues.

Susan

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Susan, I love that you are looking at context, the overall picture, and not panicking. Also, you report on the value of not immediately rushing to surgically remove lumps - they may just go away!!

Next step would be to not be too upset about his reaction to heat. You are doing supportive care - A/C and fans. Next step would be to see this as merely an early warning sign of internal imbalance and work towards that balance. Maybe tweak the diet, exercise, Reiki or other energy medicine daily, acupressure "tune up", massage, etc. Or go to a chiropractor, TCVM or homeopathic vet with the goal be total balance, rather than merely stopping the heat triggered diarrhea.

I would not repeat the fecal. parasites would not cause soft stools only when it is hot out.

Dr. Christina

SusanI

All-Access Member
Registered
Trying not to panic at least! I’m glad I waited on the lump - there was really no alternative since no other vets were letting clients in with pets and I wouldn’t trust any around here anyway not to administer”extras”- vaccines, ear treatments, etc. out of my sight. I’m glad I hung tough. I see no evidence of that lump now and if it was a tumor it wouldn’t have gone down like that and if something were festering I’d see some evidence of that too, I’m sure. I’m still checking, to be sure.

I’m just writing down all of his symptoms whenever they come up and his oddities (and boy, does he have oddities!) These will all be helpful when I can get a professional consult.

SusanI

All-Access Member
Registered
I think his immune system was likely working on getting rid of that lump (ah, success!) and the fleas hopped on. Yikes. He didn’t have them before.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
You may be right, Susan.
Another possibility is that he just happened into a huge nest of fleas.
One was to tell will be if you can easily eliminate the fleas with a bath, some flea combing, good clean out of the house and maybe some diatomaceous earth.
If it takes longer, you know that the stool and attracting the fleas indicates that your careful notetaking will be needed as some homeopathic constitutional treatment may be needed.

Dr. Christina

SusanI

All-Access Member
Registered
His stool was perfect for two weeks prior to this latest heat wave. The minute it hit 90, bam! Mucusy stool! I don’t recall if I gave him anything before- a tbsp of pumpkin but I always do that. I may give him some slippery elm syrup with treats (he won’t consume it straight) and see if it helps. Since it’s going to be less hot going forward I can see if that helps.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Mucusy stool with very hot weather is a great homeopathic clue. We look for the 4 Ps - peculiar (and that is), persistent (it is cause it recurs), problematic (would be if you did not do great support as you do), prominent (not so much).

Dr. Christina

SusanI

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks! I’m writing everything down. Last couple of nights he has gone downstairs to sleep on the kitchen floor (linoleum) - can’t say I blame him- so he’s seeking cool (kindof normal when it’s like this, I guess) He’s always been cool seeking. In winter sometimes lies next to the front door- I’m guessing cool air comes in under the door. He sleeps on the couch with his head raised. Loves to walk in the middle of the road (yikes!) but at least is no longer trying to eat it! I’m making a list.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom