• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Homeopathy and catnip

Keely Parr

All-Access Member
Registered
My previous homeopathic vet told me not to let my cat play with his toys that contain catnip as it would neutralize the remedy.

any truth in that statement? If so can I give him catnip toy a certain number of days after the remedy? It is a Xmas present!!!

thank you,
Keely

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Keely-

I hope you're having a joyous Christmas day and holiday season.

Yes, there is some truth in that statement.

However, as long as you wait 24 hours after dosing, the effect is usually minimal.

The only time to avoid interventions or changes like with the catnip is when you are evaluating a new remedy.

In that case it can alter your interpretation of the response.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
First, I always go with whatever your practitioner says. If you disagree on something you think is important, ask what personal experience they have had with that issue. Since you selected that person to work with, its best to go with their recommendations.

Personally, if the cat has already been using catnip, I feel it is part of the baseline and would continue it. I would not start it newly with a new remedy.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
I had an interesting discussion with some colleagues on this topic at a European conference of doctors and vets. We were discussing what we want patients to avoid when giving homeopathic medicines. A German vet, who had read the original Hahnemannian provings extensively, pointed out that Sam's chums, who were his provers, continued to drink coffee and alcohol and smoke like chimneys while doing a proving. Upon reflection, all of us realised that would have been the best way to get those great modalities surrounding these substances.
The consensus was that you shouldn't change your other habits when you are starting homeopathic treatment. You don't want to expose homeopathic medicines directly to strong smells, so don't drink alcohol or smoke or eat strong mints right around the same time as the medicines, but otherwise live your life as you usually do. [Everyone did agree that it would be best to encourage people to stop smoking!]
For animals, this would translate to not starting new strong smelling essential oils or foods to which the critter is not accustomed. Homeopathic medicines should always be given on a clean mucus membrane. In birds and horses, I have used the rectal and vaginal mucosa. Though the rectum is not terribly clean, it does seem to be an effective route, especially as it is hard to keep birds and horses from eating!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom