• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Home made food for dogs

J

janeah7@gmail_com

I switched my dog from Honest kitchen dehydrated to my own home cooked meals and I'm still trying to be sure the dogs are thriving on this.  One dog cannot do a raw food diet so this seemed to be next best.  She loves the food i make but seems to be getting more lean.  She also has had low energy her whole life but seems worse.  I started the diet changes at same time I started working with Dr jeff.  I'm feeding a lot of variety, but still not sure about ratio of how much animal protein to veggies? Is it Ok to add some grains like brown rice , quinoa, or millet occasionally?  She cleans her bowl clean but keeps signaling that she is still hungry.  I'm not sure that she still needs more or just likes the food so much she wants more.  She has always been on the lean side.  And may be getting leaner just due to our hot summer. I have upped the overall quantity this past week.  I also wondered if the food is missing something and should I stir in some of the Honest Kitchen powder too.

I also want to know about dogs and raw fruit.  Mine like a lot of fruit- apple, pears, banana, papaya, mango, etc.  I give them about 1-2 T once or twice a day--either a few minutes before their meal or as a snack.  I think they would much more than this if allowed to.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Janeah-

Yes, you could definitely mix in Honest Kitchen and/or the cooked grains you mention.

Mainly because she is hungry, possibly lower weight and lower energy.

No worries about the exact diet percentages. Some dogs do great on 100% meat, others with 100% veggies and other do better with meat + veggies.

It's best to experiment as you vary the diet, to see what works for her. Use the same % for a few days then re-evaluate.

Also, the quick-reading intro course has more diet info that might be useful. <a href="https://www.holisticactions.com/courses/introduction-to-holistic-actions/">Click here</a> for it.

Regarding their eating raw fruit. Definitely! Just avoid grapes.

You can give multiple full bananas, mangoes, papayas, etc./day. If the individual does well with this.

Again you can experiment and see what works.

You will not be harming them in any way (and they'll love the extra treats).

J

janeah7@gmail_com

Thanks   And is a tiny bit of cooked onion really a big deal?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Not for most animals, Janeah.

<a href="http://certifiedvethomeopath.com/are-garlic-and-onions-poisonous-to-dogs-and-cats/">Read this</a> for more detail.

ivegrgas

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Janeah - When I reduced starch and increased protein in my dog's diet I noticed that she gained some weight.  Occasionally, I also add a tiny bit of raw garlic to my recipes and my dog seems to do well with it. I hope you feel more comfortable with food preparation for your dog!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks Ive for sharing your experiences with Xia.

Did you increase the quantity that you fed when you reduced starch?

Was her weight gain visual or from the scale?

&nbsp;

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom